• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitors for a DJ setup

Harryharryharry

Hello!

I'm looking for some monitors I can wall mount (to get the right height) for a DJ setup in a small room (2.8x2.6m). I now think active will achieve better results and it seems studio monitors provide the wall mounts I'm after.

I've been reading around and looking into Genelec, which are very tempting but A) I get a bit lost in their product range, B) I'd like GLM if going Genelec and C) I end up being drawn to the 1s but don't think I can justify this expense at the moment.

So I'm now wondering if I should just go Neumann for better bang for the buck? 120s look pretty great value.

Budget is probably up to £2000 but is more what I can justify and the opportunity cost of spending it on something else like a new sofa...

My system would also include:
DJ mixer with digital output
Minidsp flex + dirac
SVS sb1000pro

Questions:

0. Is the KH 120 as good as or better than the KH 80? (Edit: I see the big difference is the DSP)

1. What Genelec speakers would you recommend instead of the KH 120s?

2. Is the Neumann room correction any good, or stick to Dirac?

3. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Last edited:
OP
H

Harryharryharry

Perhaps given I already have dirac I need not bother with SAM (though I'm curious to try it). And this would open up more reasonably priced Genelec models?

Fontie

OP
H

Harryharryharry

I've got a pair of Adam A5Xs that have served me very well but I'm looking for a step up in performance these days.

This new monitor will be replacing some KEF R3s which are great but too big for the room.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think the first question for you to answer is what subwoofer you want to use. If KEF R3 is too big, I’m assuming you have some pretty tight space constraints. Subwoofers vary so much in terms of cost, size, and performance that I would use that as the starting point for other speaker selection. And a sub will be essential because you want to select a compact speaker.

Personally, if putting my money into a Genelec or Neumann system I would want a same-branded subwoofer. Which is why I would start from there.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The 'DJ" thing confuses me... When I was a radio DJ in college the monitors in the broadcast studio weren't anything special and we used headphones when the mic was on. (In our little recording studio where we made "commercials" we had HUGE JBL monitors.) Dance DJs are either listening to the house system or on headphones/IEMs.

If you are doing audio production you need good monitors and if you have small monitors you need a subwoofer.

OP
H

Harryharryharry

I think the first question for you to answer is what subwoofer you want to use. If KEF R3 is too big, I’m assuming you have some pretty tight space constraints. Subwoofers vary so much in terms of cost, size, and performance that I would use that as the starting point for other speaker selection. And a sub will be essential because you want to select a compact speaker.

Personally, if putting my money into a Genelec or Neumann system I would want a same-branded subwoofer. Which is why I would start from there.
I've got an SVS SB1000 Pro (see above) already, which is decent.

I'm also tempted by the same branded subs especially with Genelec but they're very expensive on top of expensive monitors.

OP
H

Harryharryharry

The 'DJ" thing confuses me... When I was a radio DJ in college the monitors in the broadcast studio weren't anything special and we used headphones when the mic was on. (In our little recording studio where we made "commercials" we had HUGE JBL monitors.) Dance DJs are either listening to the house system or on headphones/IEMs.

If you are doing audio production you need good monitors and if you have small monitors you need a subwoofer.
This is for my pleasure, I like listening to good sound quality and active monitors seem like the best bang for buck for near field.

UserNameRequired

if you've got one ear covered with a headphone, are you sure you need to worry that much about the 'sound' quality coming from the mains you want to use for DJ'ing....??? Unless this is your only source for listening to music, just get speakers that will annoy the neighbours

OP
H

Harryharryharry

I still listen in stereo especially when mixing with friends. It's also my office system. Regardless I have an obsession with sound quality, don't you?

UserNameRequired

then I seriously doubt you will you get much better sound in that scenario by wasting money on speakers that won't be able to be heard properly without serious acoustic treatment. thats just a fact. better off just getting some large 8inch monitors that will wow your mates with bass and highs

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
By the way, KH120 is probably the best option for you:
  • Going to be a better deal than many of the "DSP" speaker options because they're arguably out of date
  • Lacking DSP shouldn't matter to you - MiniDSP Flex and Dirac will work great along with KH120 and your sub instead
  • It's compact - there's not much room to step up if KEF R3 is already too large

OP
H

Harryharryharry

By the way, KH120 is probably the best option for you:
  • Going to be a better deal than many of the "DSP" speaker options because they're arguably out of date
  • Lacking DSP shouldn't matter to you - MiniDSP Flex and Dirac will work great along with KH120 and your sub instead
  • It's compact - there's not much room to step up if KEF R3 is already too large
I've got some Genelec 8030B here atm (ordered C but they sent the wrong ones). They're good, very detailed, not quite as impressive as the Kefs but very good none the less. Feel a little harsh/shrill but haven't tried with room correction yet.

And I've got some KH80s coming tomorrow to compare.

Why do you think 120s over 80s? Better bass?

The Genelecs while they do actually have reasonable bass do lack a bit of mid bass I like.

Subs obviously pick up sub bass but not mid bass!

Top Bottom