• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor too many choices, which one to choose

rabrab

Hello guys,

I am in the process of choice for monitor speaker and I am wondering which one to choose.

I went to a store to listen to some models, Adam TV series & AX series, Focal Evo & Shape, Neumann KH80, Presonus Eris XT, Monkey Banana, Yamaha HS, KRK Rotkit, Genelec 8020 and I did not succeed in them decide more than that.

Each time there was a fault either too loud, rough, boomy, not enough bass, duck voice, etc ... and then there were the Neumann KH310 which stood out with incredible spatialization, timbres of fair voice, and a good bandwidth.

The worry, I have neither the place nor the budget for these (I don't have 3800 €).

I listen between 50cm and 1.50m and my piece is small 3x4m. I listen to all styles of music, but a lot of EDM.

After reading a lot of reviews available here, for those on a budget, there are the JBL 306 mk2, the Adam T7V and the Kali audio 2nd wave; above there are the KH120 and the Genelecs 8030.

While searching everywhere I found HEDD Type 07 mk2, Dynaudio LYD 05/07 and BM5 MKIII, Focal Alpha 65 Evo, Genelec 8040 BPM, etc ... and I am lost, maybe Genelec 8030C with a subwoofer?

I don't have an ideal configuration either 2.0 or 2.1, maybe essential because of EDM ???

I ask for your help, I have a budget that goes from 500 € to 1500 € (more is also possible if it's worth it, if the difference can be heard by ear), thank you for your suggestions / help.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The JBL LSR 308 mk II's and 306 mk ii's are both excellent. The 308 is a bit better, but depending upon your needs a 306 size may work better.

I think even if a couple other choices are better this way or that, above this level you are getting into diminishing returns.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Neumann KH 80 is almost a perfect speaker if it has sufficient power handling for your needs. Almost regardless of what you choose you should get a sub. Adding KH 750 might blow through your budget by a bit, but I don’t know exactly what these cost in Europe.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The JBL LSR 308 mk II's and 306 mk ii's are both excellent. The 308 is a bit better, but depending upon your needs a 306 size may work better.

I think even if a couple other choices are better this way or that, above this level you are getting into diminishing returns.

I suspect the hiss from those monitors would be very audible at the OPs stated listening distance. I returned a pair of 305p MkII's for this reason (my listening distance is 90-110cm).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect the hiss from those monitors would be very audible at the OPs stated listening distance. I returned a pair of 305p MkII's for this reason (my listening distance is 90-110cm).
You could be right. I can hear the hiss used at those distances, but it isn't obnoxious. I'm older so maybe it is over the top for younger ears.

Top Bottom