• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor audio silver 500 or tannoy xt8f for rock and metal

pererpan

For rock and symphonic metal which of these will be the best? Like a warmer sound. No brightness. Which speaker are more forgiven for poort recordings?

raindance

Major Contributor
Those are both forward (bright), aggressive sounding speakers.

Try the JBL Studio 590 for a different take. It should be good for that music style.

Typically rock sounds neutered on dull (warm) sounding speakers, examples could be the Mission LX series or some of the Wharfedale speakers. You would lose some of the so called "speed and kick".

JWAmerica

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

The 580 looks tempting as well. Depending on the size of the OP's listening space, it might be enough.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since I literally just purchased the Monitor Audio I am going to vote that direction. They seem to have a very flat listening window and good bass response and high sensitivity. No way to know until I get them though.

OP
P

pererpan

Maybe then dynaudio emit 50. What do you think of acoustic energy ae 320? No dealer in my area.

Subway2400

The ones who say the Monitor Audio Silver 7G 500 are agressive-sounding, must not have listened to them -at all.

OP
P

pererpan

Tannoy xt8f i think also too bright. IT has fantastic bass and Image.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I literally just purchased the Monitor Audio I am going to vote that direction. They seem to have a very flat listening window and good bass response and high sensitivity. No way to know until I get them though.

I had those for a time, but sent them back because they made this weird chuffing sound with kick drums. Turns out what I thought were mount points are actually bracing bolts and they were probably just loose, but I didn't know until long after I returned them and read it in a review. A shame it turned out that way because other than that I liked them; 8" passive bookshelves don't exactly grow on trees

Subway2400

Yeah, the bolts at the back are for the drivers. Monitor Audio even recommends tightening them a little after receiving them at home.

raindance

Major Contributor
The ones who say the Monitor Audio Silver 7G 500 are agressive-sounding, must not have listened to them -at all.
He didn't specify the new 7G version. I heard the previous ones. I'm also not saying they're unsuitable for his purpose, I'm simply suggesting that rock and metal may require brighter rather than duller sounding speakers, so he may be searching for something that isn't going to work well in his use case. I guess I should have said that the 500's would be a good choice in addition to the JBL 590's.

Subway2400

I see. I agree that some older MA speakers tend to be a bit harsh at higher volumes in "dry", untreated listening rooms. But I find the recent generations to be great all-rounders with a good linearity and low distorsion, especially the Silver 7G. They are really worth giving them a try :)

Top Bottom