• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Silver 500 7g

CyBorek

Do you think 70W PWC will be enough for the MA 500 7G? (I aim to pair them with Marantz 40n) or it would be better to go with something more powerful like Arcam SA30 or NAD 399 (or maybe Soncoz SGP1 if they will be available again)?

Beave

Major Contributor
Do you think 70W PWC will be enough for the MA 500 7G? (I aim to pair them with Marantz 40n) or it would be better to go with something more powerful like Arcam SA30 or NAD 399 (or maybe Soncoz SGP1 if they will be available again)?

Will you be using a subwoofer or two? How big is your room, how far away from the speakers will you normally be, and how much do you like to crank it up?

Here is a review with measurements from JA at Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-500-7g-loudspeaker-measurements

Sensitivity is around 90dB, which is a little higher than average, and impedance isn't particularly tough, so these are a fairly easy load for anything but really loud listening.

CyBorek

Will you be using a subwoofer or two? How big is your room, how far away from the speakers will you normally be, and how much do you like to crank it up?

Here is a review with measurements from JA at Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-500-7g-loudspeaker-measurements

Sensitivity is around 90dB, which is a little higher than average, and impedance isn't particularly tough, so these are a fairly easy load for anything but really loud listening.

Well my living room is around 33m2 (longer than wider). I am sitting about 3m from my current speakers (Dali 7s, 40cm distance from the wall). 80% of the listing is at the evening when kids are in beds.

On my SMSL-DA9 I am using 18-26 volume out of 70 point scale. If I want to rumble 30-35 is loud enough, never had to go past 40. Using DB meter amp in my phone shows ~54dB at 22 volume during evening listing (picture taken with wide cam)
this is 50W into 8Ohm AMP.
MA 500 7G have 80W min recommended RMS power that is why I am asking.
IMG_20221031_220326.jpg

A Surfer

Major Contributor
You can also tell they are 6G because the midrange driver is 4" whereas the 7G is now a 3" driver.

ubik3000

Hello all.

Very, very late to the party.
That's me.

Auditioned Wharfedale Linton and Monitor Audio Silver 300 7G being fed by (my own) Audiolab 8300A amp and a Bluesound Node as source, in large, acoustically treated listening room.
Linton: Good bass, a little bit "slow", good mids, but indeed a little bit pronounced, highs not very detailed and not that presented, but OK... listening experience was very relaxing, even with dynamic music.
MA S 300 7G: another level on every aspect... Distorsion was lower than Lintons... Clearer Sound. Mids were good, very good and detailed highs. Bass was better than Lintons in every way.

I have at home a pair of Canton GLE496 driven by a Marantz Cinema 60 (Audiolab 8300A is a little bit better than Cinema 60). Clearly MA S 500 7G would be a step up from GLE 496, but I'am afraid the higher quality sound of MAs won't matter in my (accoustically) untreated listening room.
Is my assumption correct, can anyone enlighten me?

CyBorek

So I have switched from SMSL DA-9 with Dali's Oberon 7s to Sabaj A30a + Monitor Audio Silver 500s 7G. I got Sabaj before I upgraded my speakers so I was already blown away with what the Sabaj did with Oberons. It was like new speakers. Deep, wery massive bass, enchanted melodic mids and still not so impressive highs (still more agile than on SMSL DA-9). Watching movies like Creed 2 or Maverick with Sabaj was like two times better than before. Musically it was a massive upgrade for me. But than I sold Dalis and bring
IMG_20230101_011307.jpg
home new 500s, and well... that was not as impressive step forward as the amp upgrade.

From the technical point of view everything is more neutral, quicker and cleaner, but I have lost somewhere these magic mid the Dalis had and the deep massive bass
The room accoustic is the one I blame. Falis was so easier to position. Maybe also the Sabaj has not enough power. As the Dalis where 6Ohm and 87dB not 90dB,.8Ohm like MA 500s.
I will have interia of the house renovation planned for spring so I will try to adjust this room a bit (adding some disrupts on the ceiling, better carpet maybe, accoustic wooden slats behind the TV and speakers) some accoustic traps on walls) and then check but at this moment I am not satisfied.

Will3

So I have switched from SMSL DA-9 with Dali's Oberon 7s to Sabaj A30a + Monitor Audio Silver 500s 7G. I got Sabaj before I upgraded my speakers so I was already blown away with what the Sabaj did with Oberons. It was like new speakers. Deep, wery massive bass, enchanted melodic mids and still not so impressive highs (still more agile than on SMSL DA-9). Watching movies like Creed 2 or Maverick with Sabaj was like two times better than before. Musically it was a massive upgrade for me. But than I sold Dalis and bringView attachment 271276 home new 500s, and well... that was not as impressive step forward as the amp upgrade.

From the technical point of view everything is more neutral, quicker and cleaner, but I have lost somewhere these magic mid the Dalis had and the deep massive bass
The room accoustic is the one I blame. Falis was so easier to position. Maybe also the Sabaj has not enough power. As the Dalis where 6Ohm and 87dB not 90dB,.8Ohm like MA 500s.
I will have interia of the house renovation planned for spring so I will try to adjust this room a bit (adding some disrupts on the ceiling, better carpet maybe, accoustic wooden slats behind the TV and speakers) some accoustic traps on walls) and then check but at this moment I am not satisfied.
They seem to like 70+ hours of break in. They WILL open up. Also be prepared to buy a nice, fast 12" sealed subwoofer. A
Speedwoofer 12", an SVS SB1000 or SB2000? I recently upgraded my old Polk PSW-505 sub to a BIC PL-300 and like what I hear so far. They don't need a lot of sub in my space. The longer I have mine the more I like them. These speakers also respond well to better gear feeding them.
Looking Good btw!

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
70 hours of break in and fast subwoofers, eh? don't forget to burn in your cables and to sprinkle pixie dust on your amp before installing your audiophile streamer.

Reactions: ENG

Will3

70 hours of break in and fast subwoofers, eh? don't forget to burn in your cables and to sprinkle pixie dust on your amp before installing your audiophile streamer.
And your point is what?

Beave

Major Contributor
That 70 hours of break in to "open up" is a figment of your imagination. That the whole notion a particular subwoofer having "fast bass" is a myth. That's my point.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Those Monitor Audio will have fantastic bass without a doubt. It is your brain getting used to a new sound signature. Seriously, just give your brain time to adjust. The odds of the Dali's doing anything much differently, or better in the bass department feels very unlikely.

Will3

That 70 hours of break in to "open up" is a figment of your imagination. That the whole notion a particular subwoofer having "fast bass" is a myth. That's my point.
I wrote 70+ hours. I've had a set about a year and am very familiar with them. I'm not the only owner of these speakers to notice either.
When you buy a set, then I'll pay more attention to to your opinions about them.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Break-in happens in your brain. How on earth would you prove that the materials are changing, and changing enough to be audible. Break-in/burn-in is not a thing, it doesn't matter if you owned and listened to the speakers, your brain was along for the ride and was ALWAYS governing and responsible for the perception. Why do people have such a hard time understanding and accepting reality? It isn't up for debate either, this is well known psychoacoustic science. Embrace science and stop with the fairy-tales.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OK. I have had mine for a year and I can assure you that they sound exactly the same. What has changed is that I have dialed in my room corrrection and that has made a huge difference. What is nice about these speakers is that they are efficient and have excellent bass extension. So, there is room for EQ and I can get away with a single sub because these speakers can go low enough to fill in a bass room mode.

Adaptation to speakers is a real thing. But it happens to the person, not the speakers.

Top Bottom