• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Silver 500 7g

Will3

OK. I have had mine for a year and I can assure you that they sound exactly the same. What has changed is that I have dialed in my room corrrection and that has made a huge difference. What is nice about these speakers is that they are efficient and have excellent bass extension. So, there is room for EQ and I can get away with a single sub because these speakers can go low enough to fill in a bass room mode.

Adaptation to speakers is a real thing. But it happens to the person, not the speakers.

:facepalm:............

Penelinfi

Break-in happens in your brain. How on earth would you prove that the materials are changing, and changing enough to be audible. Break-in/burn-in is not a thing, it doesn't matter if you owned and listened to the speakers, your brain was along for the ride and was ALWAYS governing and responsible for the perception. Why do people have such a hard time understanding and accepting reality? It isn't up for debate either, this is well known psychoacoustic science. Embrace science and stop with the fairy-tales.
Speaker suspension can change slightly with use. Especially if you give it a good stretch

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not a myth when you can measure the Fs change.
Whether that accounts for people's accounts of "huge changes" is another story.
We are talking about audible changes. But please read the 100 page link I cite above. There is recognition that there are small "changes" but nothing that would approach anything meaningfully audible, or require 70 hours of break-in.

Adaptation of people to new speakers is a very real thing. And there is nothing wrong with needing 70 hours to really get tuned into a speaker. It just doesn't need to be attributed to "break-in". There are too many audio myths that get in the way of people enjoying their music.

Top Bottom