• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Silver 50 7g Bookshelf Speaker Review by Erin

MarkS

Major Contributor
I think it sucks that almost no speaker companies these days seem capable of designing grilles that don't f*** up the sound. The list of such companies is very long and includes all the ASR faves.

YSC

Major Contributor
I think it sucks that almost no speaker companies these days seem capable of designing grilles that don't f*** up the sound. The list of such companies is very long and includes all the ASR faves.
I would guess that when a grille is located with some distance and is a flat surface it would interfere with with driver more and cause more problems, the ones without very noticeable drawbacks I would say are like the 80x0 genelecs, neumann etc which have a grille shaped roughly the same as the driver, I would guess that being equal distant to the driver surface would minimize the issue, with a flat grille, and especially you want some protection so it's of some rigidity the distance,from driver to the grille having undesired reflection and comb filtering is unavoidable

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Energy used to make grills that where part of the front waveguide glass bead plastic front panels that where glued to the cabinets. We couldn't keep them in stock because they sold so well and decimated most other speakers in their respective price ranges. if you look at the curvature and dimensions of the front glass bead plastic panel you can see how a grill would conform to the waveguide and woofers.
olidljagmyhg8zmbkcx4.jpg

MarkS

Major Contributor
It's not that hard to design non-diffracting grilles, and there are some options out there (though not many). On principle, I refuse to buy speakers that do not have non-diffracting grilles.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I never liked MA brightness in many of their speakers and always decided for other brands in (subjective) listening tests. Which I think is too bad, because they obviously have nice built quality and as shown above are able to produce a decently linear speaker. Why not just fix that brightness (high frequency hump) and all would be great, especially for that price. Do they still think they need that to impress in showrooms?

Last edited:

Bcarroll

Yes, this would be good if it had a metal case, the wood casing lives so the bolt always loosens.
Not in my experience. I have 3 different ma speakers currently, and the newer ones (RX6 and Silver 100 6g) use the bolt-through fixing method. I check the bolts a few times a year, and they rarely need tightening. Maybe loosening would occur at higher listening levels.

Bcarroll

Thank You for the honest forthright review. And especilly for realizing the design purpose of the driver securing bolt, not mistaking it for a “wall mounting screw” as another famous reviewer did in his review, thus de-legitimizing every measurement and comment in the review. Which I found infuriatingly unprofessional. That review should not have been published under those conditions.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Not in my experience. I have 3 different ma speakers currently, and the newer ones (RX6 and Silver 100 6g) use the bolt-through fixing method. I check the bolts a few times a year, and they rarely need tightening. Maybe loosening would occur at higher listening levels.
A dab of loctite would fix that.

Ruffy

I’d be interested to know people’s thoughts on these vs dbr-62 in my case (dbr’s which I already have). I am running them in a built in TV cabinet, fed from a NAD D3045 through HDMI ARC.

I am really struggling with hearing dialogue; I understand that mixing has a lot to do with it but wondering if the difficult load of the dbr at 100Hz is making it worse, and if a change of speaker may improve it with the current amp (no EQ ability). D3045 amp can’t change due to size constraints and being able to be placed vertically.

They sell the Silver 50 speakers as being able to be placed close to walls, and in the absence of front ported options these look okay. Would have the cupboard wall immediately beside them and a wall 10cm behind.

Cheers,
Andrew

Ruffy

I’d be interested to know people’s thoughts on these vs dbr-62 in my case (dbr’s which I already have). I am running them in a built in TV cabinet, fed from a NAD D3045 through HDMI ARC.

I am really struggling with hearing dialogue; I understand that mixing has a lot to do with it but wondering if the difficult load of the dbr at 100Hz is making it worse, and if a change of speaker may improve it with the current amp (no EQ ability). D3045 amp can’t change due to size constraints and being able to be placed vertically.

They sell the Silver 50 speakers as being able to be placed close to walls, and in the absence of front ported options these look okay. Would have the cupboard wall immediately beside them and a wall 10cm behind.

Cheers,
Andrew

warpdrive

Cheers,
Andrew
I doubt changing the DBR for these would make a meaningful difference. The NAD should be able to handle the load.

I wonder if the way you have your speakers placed (in a cabinet) has anything to do with the sound quality. Are you sitting on-axis (toed in). Are your ears level with tweeter?

Sometimes measurements can tell you quickly if there is anything way off with your setup. It might be better to invest in measurement mic and check things out rather than blindly changing out speakers

Ruffy

I doubt changing the DBR for these would make a meaningful difference. The NAD should be able to handle the load.

I wonder if the way you have your speakers placed (in a cabinet) has anything to do with the sound quality. Are you sitting on-axis (toed in). Are your ears level with tweeter?

Sometimes measurements can tell you quickly if there is anything way off with your setup. It might be better to invest in measurement mic and check things out rather than blindly changing out speakers
Thanks for the reply @warpdrive! I am hamstrung by the position, I've got a flat shelf in a built-in cabinet that is just wide enough for a TV, vertical amp and speakers. Speakers are at ear level but not even room to toe in speakers. My wife also wants it to be minimalistic, hence the D3045 with HDMI ARC from the TV.

I have borrowed a pair of Usher s520's and MA Silver 100's to trial in the same area. Both of them are much more intelligible with dialogue than the DBR-62 were; I find I am not changing volumes as much (up to hear voices, then down again with all the other sounds/music/explosions etc). Maybe the DBR interacting with my fixed room makes vocals worse? I've heard people subjectively refer to them as "boring" and "flat" and I would agree with that in this specific space (big caveat being this space - I understand they measure extremely well on the klippel). I don't have a mic to correlate frequency response to what I was hearing, although even if I did I don't really have the option of changing much anyway.

My other thought as above was power or lack thereof, plenty of talk on the web that the DBR's need 100+ watts to get going. Maybe they need more juice than the D3045 can give? I did like the DBR's in my big room, finding they were very neutral and without offense (again subjective). They did nothing wrong, did not give listening fatigue (important) but were lacking bass which was to be expected in the size of the room, although this was with much more power than the D3045. Interestingly in the same system I much prefer the Silver 100's.

Either way, I'll be putting the DBR's up for sale. I think a pair of these Silver 50's could be the ticket for my use case, and look better than the DBR's to boot (important to the wife).

Cheers, Andrew

Top Bottom