• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Review (Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 60 26.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 140 61.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters

thewas

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That hump though... I wonder how much it impacts performance, especially for a tower. Would like to see directivity index though.
It is just an artefact from the non-correct addition of the nearfield bass measurements to the windowed measurement above at all Stereophile measurements, the Soundstage one is less flawed there:

fr_listeningwindow.png

Subway2400

Last edited:

Andrej

Again I agree, but the advanced and committed hobbyists here aren't "normal" in their relationships with their systems anyway.

Yes, and my point is that your choice is so much wider than when feeling obliged to cleave to the reflection dogma.

Only by those who haven't tried such spaces.
I can confirm from personal experience that sound absorption vastly improves stereo (and multichannel) playback. I have listened in my old listening room (20 x 28 x 10ft) while it was being constructed, from no absorption to most of the walls having 5 1/2in of rock wool and front half of the ceiling 11 inches of rock wool, all the way up to a large anechoic chamber, More absorption = better sound. Also, when available, better and better reconstruction of the recording venue ambiance. Of course, even that much absorption does not do much for very low frequencies, but every little bit helps:)

dgmen

I've always been a fan of the Bronzes and Silvers, although they've both creeped up in price over the years. I'd like to see both Stereophile and Soundstage review the new Silver 7G bookshelf models too. I find the new Bronze series to be disappointing, as they seem to be voiced more like B&Ws, with a rather V shaped sound, with recessed mids and a too hot tweeter, two attributes that I didn't experience from the older Bronzes, which, like these new Silvers, were well balanced. Apparently MA has seen how well this type of design does in the market place, judging by Klipsch's and B&W's popularity in the under $1000 market segment

Top Bottom