• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Review (Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 62 23.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 157 59.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 30 11.4%

• Total voters

raindance

Major Contributor
Vivid Audio also uses the same "bolt through" approach to secure their drive units. It would be interesting to see measurements of one of their speakers, given that they had a former B&W designer.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI, and knowing this from having just purchased a Monitor Audio C350 center channel for my system, that “mounting screw” is actually a through driver mount screw...The drivers are afixed to the front by a tensioning screw in the back. Note there are no screws attaching the drivers to the front baffle. My caveat with this system is not the design, but no mention of the fact in the enclosed manual that you are supposed to snug these screws once you have determined your speaker placement. No doubt, loose drivers might cause some resonance!
Why would they wanted to ship the screws loose and want the user to tighten it after you "determined your speaker placement?" What can be affected by a tensioning screw that is part of the speaker by the speaker placement?

beagleman

Major Contributor
I agree that the above comment might have sound a bid condescending and I probably would have now formulated it differently, but to my excuse the dialogue evolved to this stage in several steps. Anyway I just wanted to express that directivity really and easily audibly matters and cannot be ignored or corrected by EQ.
I only mention this, as I am someone who has commented on a speaker lacking in really deep bass, and have had others give a "So what" type of answer.

Meaning to imply, that characteristic may be higher in importance to "me", but not to all listeners, for whatever reason.

Smislov

The graphs are for the Gold 200 so current generation? If so comparing current 200 vs GX100 looks like they have improved although not that much from a directivity perspective, distortion at 90dB does seem to have improved though. I have GX300 for the left and right.
It's GX 200 :)

and GX 300 link

Krobar

It's GX 200 :)

and GX 300 link
Thanks for the link, hard to compare to the ASR results but directivity in general look OK apart from a 4dB peak on axis at 5Khz.

Promit

72A22531-EF18-4122-ABF7-300F5546E6BD.jpeg
Well this is nice to see. I bought a set of MA Silver 500 towers plus the C350 center last year to be my new cine/gaming rig. (At a substantial discount.) I sort of took a gamble on them at the time but spouse was especially fond of the aesthetic and I was a stickler for a speaker with at least 8” woofers on it. (I also flatly refuse to buy gloss finish speakers.) The main competing option was the KEF Q950. There are not many matte towers with 8”+ woofers out there, at least for $2000.

Having lived with them for a year, a tinge of unobjectionable brightness is pretty much exactly how I feel about them. Works really well for a mostly movies and games setup. My room incorporates a fair bit of absorption which I think probably helps limit the dispersion issues. I also gave them a slightly more aggressive downward slope in Audyssey and I’m pretty happy with the results for the price.

Last edited:

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd say it's a great pair of passives, basically means without internal calibration or tweaking in the active domain it did able to produce a neutral +/- 1.5db speaker with the crossover being +/-3db, and it do so in a great looking design and "only" $799 a pair, so really a bargain in it's performance class, no idea about the power handling and if they can be driven well with some decent chip amp like the topping one it would be a low cost yet stylish product

Not all that much of a bargain when you can get a pair of first-rate active 3-way monitors for the same price -- unless of course a certain ilk of "great looking design" is a priority.

Subway2400

Strikes me as a less refined Focal.
Not really. Having listened to both I have to say that Focal speakers have a coloration due to their inverted domes which are not the finest nor the most natural tweeters I was given the opportunity to listen to. I find the recent MAs to be better, with tighter bass and a better treble. As pointed by this review, the upper midrange could use some refinements but that's the only negative thing I noted.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Strikes me as a less refined Focal.
Not really comparable.

I had Silver 2/RX2/100 and 906s.

The 906 are smoother and more balanced speakers, especially off-axis. The Silver, deeper bass extension and way better distorsion behaviour at high SPL.

Build quality: Silver all day.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Until the latest Silver gen shows up at Amir's door, this is a glimpse of their performance:

the smallest standmount Silver 50 - looks ragged

54678-monitor-audio-silver50-audiocompl-lab1.jpg

and the smallest floorstander Silver 200: looks pretty good, it's been on my watch list for a while, hope one knocks Amir's door at some point.

48891-monitor-audio-silver200-audiocompl-lab2.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the post @amirm.
I don't want to use the corollary to that old definition of "insanity" besides making this short reference to it.
These long-established speaker designers/manufacturers (of repute) seem to be exercising that right.
And the only response I hear from the collective is to put some band-aids (roon? rew? etc? on the problems that their gear is responsible for) to make them "correct".
What of the poor consumer who lacks the talents to understand what the PinkPanther is trying to tell them?
If this is the only possible salvation (eq) of a consumer, then maybe the PinkPanthers should call such speakers what they are >> $800 pos w/o eq.
So, big-deal: I will get flack from the members for being 'silly' and I will hear a whole bunch of "the dog ate my homework" lines as to why most such speakers are a piece of crap.
I don't mind!
What I do mind is the fact that such arguably 'inferior' speakers will continue to be shoved down the [ummm] ears of consumers.
A loose screw is NOT even in the realm of regular consumers? DO these manufacturers even listen?

enio nery

i once had a pair of silver RX1s with fake phase plugs, one of the screws attached to the woofers keeps getting loose and rattle. got tired of the little buggers real quick.

Subway2400

Thanks @amirm for the review. It's great to see some Monitor Audio speakers reviewed.

The tweeter of the Silver 6G reviewed here doesn't have any waveguide, as shown on this picture :

monitoraudio.silver6g.tweeter_3_.jpg

But the tweeters of the new generations of Bronze (6G) and Silver (7G) feature a waveguide :

Bronze :

MA-Bronze-Tweeer.jpg

Silver :

Monitor-Audio-7G-cutoff-tweeter.jpg

I guess they should theorically measure better, even in a 2-way configuration with the 8" woofer.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway I just wanted to express that directivity really and easily audibly matters and cannot be ignored ...
I agree, but for the sake of completeness (and pedantry, I suppose) we should occasionally bear in mind (and occasionally say) that directivity matters only if choice, family or financial circumstances put you in a reflective room. I have been lucky enough to be able to build non-reflective rooms, where directivity is completely and totally irrelevant.

Some folks think reflections are essential per se, but no, you're better off without them. In my experience, listening in a non-environment is hugely, vastly, entrancingly, magnificently superior.

Top Bottom