• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Bronze 50 vs Wharfedale 220 and 12.1. Which one?

Bsmooth

I'm going to be wall mounting these to replace Paradigm Atoms. Driving them using Yamaha RX-V757 along with a Dayton sub. I think I would prefer a warmer sound than a harsher one. Would really like to listen to them , but in the New England area there seem to be a lack of places to do it, other than Best Buy.
Been researching the heck out of this and watched videos from Cheapaudioman, Darko, Steve Guttenberg and a few others along with looking at the reviews here as well.
Also need to find a way to mount these to the wall as well, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thing I want to avoid the most is the dreaded "S" sibilance issues in vocals, and harshness in the treble and midrange.
So please let the discussion begin !

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1:
CEA2034.jpg

Wharfedale Diamond 220:
CEA2034.jpg

Not exactly the same model, but Monitor Audio Silver 100:
Recommended by Amir.
CEA2034.jpg

We really need to see more Monitor Audio speakers measured to make meaningful recommendations.

My pick is 12.1.

OP
B

Bsmooth

The responses of the 12.1 are good but I am mounting them right on the wall so I was a bit worried about the back port causing muddy bass, where the 220 is a bottom port so i thought that might be better. Also wondering about the Wharfedale D320 as well, and even the D300 surround speakers which are meant to mount on the wall which are on sale.

alpha_logic

I have both the Wharfedale Bronze 100's, and the Wharfedale 225's. Neither speaker is bright or sibilant, but that will also depend on the rest of your signal chain. I don't think you can go wrong with the 220's, specifically because they're bottom-ported.

Top Bottom