• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mongolian Metal

DChenery

Forum Donor
Fairly certain, (based on previously responses )that I will get LIKE two responses, but WTF new thread. As previously expressed (by very esteemed colleagues):
Proper Mongolian Metal. None of this PUSSY cutting off heads BS

So, for a first ( and I would suspect last) post here is the opening salvo:

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Rock was founded on and catered to, the experiences of teenagers. Arrested development afflicts many genres and performers. A few artists are talented early developers and mature, and others are destined to be boring milkers of past mediocrity, looking for an angle to get them noticed.

Interesting twist, all the same.

P.S. Black Sabbath I like but I always took their image to be a piss-take.

:facepalm:

(First response).

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Wombat

Master Contributor
That is utter nonsense.

Post edited for clarity.

I have nearly 40 years more of experiencing rock development(and its roots) up on you. Maybe you missed a lot of the development of rock.

Track progressively through the Beatles catalogue to get a rough idea.

P.S. You are welcome to elaborate on the "that is utter nonsense" statement.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Rock was founded on and catered to, the experiences of teenagers. Arrested development afflicts many genres and performers. A few artists are talented early developers and mature, and others are destined to be boring milkers of past mediocrity, looking for an angle to get them noticed.

Interesting twist, all the same.

P.S. Black Sabbath I like but I always took their image to be a piss-take.

:facepalm:

(First response).
Wasn't Black Sabbath a group of hard blue first? Rock and metal are more sibling than parent and child; same reason hard rock and metal aren't really the same (though there's overlap at some points like doom or sludge metal). Later, parts of extreme metal really ditched the blues "warm" influence to become its own genre.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Wasn't Black Sabbath a group of hard blue first? Rock and metal are more sibling than parent and child; same reason hard rock and metal aren't really the same (though there's overlap at some points like doom or sludge metal). Later, parts of extreme metal really ditched the blues "warm" influence to become its own genre.

Whatever. Most rock music styles/trends originate from a generational teenage desire for 'their own' new music to identify with - usually a more confronting variation of previous efforts. More for young men, maybe.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Being an old fart I remove the video to hear the music. I regularly hear the old in the new. That is how music develops and lives on.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Post edited for clarity.

I have nearly 40 years more of experiencing rock development(and its roots) up on you. Maybe you missed a lot of the development of rock.

Track progressively through the Beatles catalogue to get a rough idea.

P.S. You are welcome to elaborate on the "that is utter nonsense" statement.
Isn't it cold up there, all the way up in your ivory tower?

Besides I don't think struggling with alcoholism. political manipulation or stem cell research are subjects most teens affiliate themselves with, yet they appear in rock.

Anyway, most music genres have some form of social commentary, even Tchaikovsky wasn't a stranger to that.

Wombat

Master Contributor
You missed thepoint re the beginnings of rock. New rock genres still, mostly, evolve out of the interests of new teenage generations. Some mature and some stick with the past that they are stuck on or like me, do both.

P.S. Wealthy rockers pay lip service, in their mansions, to social causes they sang about in their youth.

The Rolling Stones on Benzodiazepines:

Entertainers - not serious role models. What has changed?

P.S. A big Stone's fan but they aren't my life.

P.P.S. OP enjoy your music as I enjoy mine. :)

Last edited:
OP
DChenery

DChenery

Forum Donor
Whatever. Most rock music styles/trends originate from a generational teenage desire for 'their own' new music to identify with - usually a more confronting variation of previous efforts. More for young men, maybe.

Wow, Cool reply. Being an old fart (62 years) myself, I "discovered "Mongolian Metal" from @BillG last year. Traditionally was more of a prog rock person, but something about this genre has re-stimulated me. The Hu are of course now famous, and almost main stream (Imaginary That!!). While what I was really hoping for this thread was for ASR members to introduce us/me to as yet unknown Mongolian Metal bands, I really didn't expect an existential diatribe on the cultural aspects of "Heavy Metal".

But interesting how the original Batman (Ozzie never met a chicken I wouldn't like to decapitate Osbourne) popped up :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
New music that 'pops' is great. It usually takes a referral for me to access it, nowadays.

ASR has been good for that and the 'listening threads' have cost me quite some money. @BillG posts are something I always check out.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Open to Mongolian Metal Heads recommendations. :)

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I don't disagree, you know. Just that metal as completely distinct genre isn't the same. Rock is indeed commercial and catering in nature, but something like
for example, is about creating music matching a specific state of mind, not caring about popularity or age; you need this certain state of mind to "get it", too.

I'd say the same as you about what's in the OP: it's made for a specific demographic (not entirely about age, but certainly for "entryists"). Metal branched into two paths during the 90s: "commercial" and unadventurous, ditching the actual metal sound for some ultra-clean and streamlined-into-boredom production and extreme metal continuning to push the limits of the genre by being always more experimental or harsh. The difference is often that in the second group, production and mastering is still done by the artist (or other fellow artists).
Folk metal is obviously of the first kind, though this specific example isn't too bad. It integrates the folk element quite well, avoiding the "normal power metal with folk gimmick" thing.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Wow, Cool reply. Being an old fart (62 years) myself, I "discovered "Mongolian Metal" from @BillG last year. Traditionally was more of a prog rock person, but something about this genre has re-stimulated me. The Hu are of course now famous, and almost main stream (Imaginary That!!). While what I was really hoping for this thread was for ASR members to introduce us/me to as yet unknown Mongolian Metal bands, I really didn't expect an existential diatribe on the cultural aspects of "Heavy Metal".

But interesting how the original Batman (Ozzie never met a chicken I wouldn't like to decapitate Osbourne) popped up :)

Sorry if I derailed your thread. The Hu seem to occupy the WWW for Mongolian Metal.

I offer this for your interest:

https://flypaper.soundfly.com/discover/heavy-metal-mongolia/

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrgFPSU7VOPWYUhXfVOwyl3fpk0U7gqvO

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say the same as you about what's in the OP: it's made for a specific demographic (not entirely about age, but certainly for "entryists"). Metal branched into two paths during the 90s: "commercial" and unadventurous, ditching the actual metal sound for some ultra-clean and streamlined-into-boredom production and extreme metal continuning to push the limits of the genre by being always more experimental or harsh. The difference is often that in the second group, production and mastering is still done by the artist (or other fellow artists).
Folk metal is obviously of the first kind, though this specific example isn't too bad. It integrates the folk element quite well, avoiding the "normal power metal with folk gimmick" thing.

If you start getting into metal sub-genres your just going to confuse the normies. ;)

bm62297

Count me in! Mongolian metal led me to bands like Heilung and Wardruna last year too which I now very much enjoy. The rest of the household thinks I am insane still...

Top Bottom