• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mogami 2549 vs 2534

TK750

Hi all, I'm going to knock together some interconnects and just wanted to double check as to the reasons one would choose one of these cables over the other. I'm almost positive the real world differences especially in such a short length of cable will be practically nothing and I imagine even with much longer runs I'd more than likely notice no difference but I'd like to go for what would theoretically be the most 'correct/appropriate'.

My understanding is that unless you are experiencing problems with grounding or a lot of interference etc, the most appropriate choice would be the 2549 (twisted pair) due to the lower capacitance. The only reason you would go with the 2534 (star quad) is if you were experiencing some of the previously mentioned problems, this would probably only be necessary in a studio or live venue type environment. Is this correct? The only quote I have noticed that makes me question this is 'Mogami 2534 provides an improvement in signal to noise of 10-20db over equivalent twisted pair cables', however I assume that is only when in a particularly noisy environment?

Assuming the above is correct, and even if it isn't, could somebody explain in simple terms the relevance of capacitance within cables please? What effect does it have?

Thanks for your time.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I say to get the Mogami 2534 Star Quad, in the past (years ago), the 2534 was popular for DIY headphone cable.

OP
T

TK750

I say to get the Mogami 2534 Star Quad, in the past (years ago), the 2534 was popular for DIY headphone cable.
Thanks for the response but I'm looking for a bit more explanation and a different use case, I'm sure it would work well for that.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...-the-importance-of-star-quad-microphone-cable
As you say, for short interconnects with line level signals you are unlikely to see any benefit from the starquad's better immunity.

Jensen Transformers' AN007 has a fair bit on the effect of cable properties on noise rejection both in single ended and differential interconnects.

Regarding capacitance, the worry is that the combination of the cable's capacitance and the output impedance of the source could form a low pass filter that affects audio frequencies. Capacitance of the cable run increases in proportion to the cable length so you'll see specifications of pF/m or similar. For short line level interconnects, normal cables and normal sources this isn't a problem. If one parameter is extreme, or all are high-ish, you might get a rolled off top end. For interconnects between cartridge and phono headamp the cable capacitance contributes to the cartridge loading, and for moving magnet cartridges this can significantly alter the frequency response.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hi all, I'm going to knock together some interconnects and just wanted to double check as to the reasons one would choose one of these cables over the other. I'm almost positive the real world differences especially in such a short length of cable will be practically nothing and I imagine even with much longer runs I'd more than likely notice no difference but I'd like to go for what would theoretically be the most 'correct/appropriate'.

My understanding is that unless you are experiencing problems with grounding or a lot of interference etc, the most appropriate choice would be the 2549 (twisted pair) due to the lower capacitance. The only reason you would go with the 2534 (star quad) is if you were experiencing some of the previously mentioned problems, this would probably only be necessary in a studio or live venue type environment. Is this correct? The only quote I have noticed that makes me question this is 'Mogami 2534 provides an improvement in signal to noise of 10-20db over equivalent twisted pair cables', however I assume that is only when in a particularly noisy environment?

Assuming the above is correct, and even if it isn't, could somebody explain in simple terms the relevance of capacitance within cables please? What effect does it have?

Thanks for your time.

I would probably get the star-quad just to have in case I need it later if not now. For short interconnects the extra capacitance does not matter. It is a little larger and stiffer, however, and the extra conductors get tiresome to connect if you don't need them.

As for the effects of capacitance, this might help: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/interconnect-bandwidth.25441/

HTH - Don

OP
T

TK750

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...-the-importance-of-star-quad-microphone-cable
As you say, for short interconnects with line level signals you are unlikely to see any benefit from the starquad's better immunity.

Jensen Transformers' AN007 has a fair bit on the effect of cable properties on noise rejection both in single ended and differential interconnects.

Regarding capacitance, the worry is that the combination of the cable's capacitance and the output impedance of the source could form a low pass filter that affects audio frequencies. Capacitance of the cable run increases in proportion to the cable length so you'll see specifications of pF/m or similar. For short line level interconnects, normal cables and normal sources this isn't a problem. If one parameter is extreme, or all are high-ish, you might get a rolled off top end. For interconnects between cartridge and phono headamp the cable capacitance contributes to the cartridge loading, and for moving magnet cartridges this can significantly alter the frequency response.
I would probably get the star-quad just to have in case I need it later if not now. For short interconnects the extra capacitance does not matter. It is a little larger and stiffer, however, and the extra conductors get tiresome to connect if you don't need them.

As for the effects of capacitance, this might help: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/interconnect-bandwidth.25441/

HTH - Don

Great, thanks a lot both of you! I will have a read of both links when I have some time later =].

Top Bottom