• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MoFi SourcePoint 10 - Review & Measurements by Erin

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Text review:
...with a short update:

CEA2034 -- MoFi SourcePoint 10 (10°).png

Estimated In-Room Response.png

SPL%20Vertical.png
MoFi%20SourcePoint%2010%20%2810%C2%B0%29%20FR_Linearity.png

MoFi SourcePoint 10 (10°)  Harmonic Distortion (86dB @ 1m).png

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Wow, messy midrange resonances. Least the directivity and overall linearity is good.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Somewhat bright in room response but not bad at all.

For the price I would much rather get 2 x Neumann KH 150.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In any case, it's nowhere near as catastrophic as some people predicted when it first came out.
for my part, and once again, considering the design, bravo!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once again Mr. Jones shows he knows his stuff. Don't like the form factor or the price. Not for me.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I’lll see your Erin and raise you a,

Keith

cavedriver

I’lll see your Erin and raise you a,

Keith
I don't see where that's a raise. Barely any info in that report and missing several things the Klippel gives us.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You are right I should have folded.
Keith

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In any case, it's nowhere near as catastrophic as some people predicted when it first came out.
for my part, and once again, considering the design, bravo!

Gee...You don't really think some here are that cynical do you? :p

Looks like, aimed as intended, the speaker is pretty neutral, still a slight rise but hardly character in the B&W realm, and the boys with Klippel toys did indeed get to measure the speaker (while being in contact with Andrew Jones about it).

I might add, that it seems to me that, while there will be some possible differences in rooms/set ups, my listening impressions seemed to track pretty well with the measured behavior of the speakers, especially regarding changes in listening more on axis vs off axis, different distances etc. (E.g. brighter on axis, more mellow slightly off axis, though still detectable slight rise in highs).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At 10º. Just toe it out a bit. The beauty of coaxials.
I own a coax for 10+ years, Thiel CS3.7, and they have none of that treble rise and needing less toe in to compensate. In fact it has tons of 4-6 kHz ambience thrown into the room, but that is off topic.

tuga

Major Contributor
I own a coax for 10+ years, Thiel CS3.7, and they have none of that treble rise and needing less toe in to compensate. In fact it has tons of 4-6 kHz ambience thrown into the room, but that is off topic.

The MoFi's tweeter has wider directivity, which is probably why the in-room response it nearly flat:

123MoFi10fig4.jpg

MoFi SourcePoint 10, lateral response family

1208T37fig7.jpg

Thiel CS3.7, lateral response family

Ciobi69

Well I'd take the r3 if I had to chose , or if you like coaxial a genelec 83xx series / kef r3

cavedriver

Well I'd take the r3 if I had to chose , or if you like coaxial a genelec 83xx series / kef r3
One thing I don't get with KEF is why their tower's are so short. The overall dimension seems fine, ~42" tall for the R7 and ~51" for the R11, but the tweeter axis is only about 31" above the floor. When I slouch in a typical listening chair I can just barely get my ears down to tweeter level. Of course this is way OT since we're talking about a KEF bookshelf compared to a Mofi bookshelf. Just venting :)

tuga

Major Contributor
One thing I don't get with KEF is why their tower's are so short. The overall dimension seems fine, ~42" tall for the R7 and ~51" for the R11, but the tweeter axis is only about 31" above the floor. When I slouch in a typical listening chair I can just barely get my ears down to tweeter level. Of course this is way OT since we're talking about a KEF bookshelf compared to a Mofi bookshelf. Just venting :)

Aren't they designed to be listened to slightly off axis?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, messy midrange resonances. Least the directivity and overall linearity is good.

Have to disagree. Those are way better looking than I expected. I realize there's a lot of competition at that price point, but those off axis(what they were designed for) spins look really great to my eye. There are a bunch of really high Q resonances, but I question the audibility of those, and the overall shape at 10-15% looks near SOTA for passive solutions at that price point and size.

Which passive speakers of similar size/price do you see as noticeably better than this? R3 is one I can maybe think of(note Erin's review of that seems is resolution), but that's the only one I can think of, and I would guess it can't play as loud.

Top Bottom