• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modular headphone cables

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Connector number-wise, option 1 is 18 connectors while option 2 is 13 connectors.
That being said, this is not really about cost nor weight. More about ease of use.

Yes, we have other needs as the headphone amps happen to be turned 90° from us. Hence the angled 3.5mm connectors. :)

Quomz

When it is about ease of use, the one difference is that option 1 requires to disconnect and connect 2 mini XLR instead of one when switching headphones. Or am I missing anything?

And "as short as possible" for the headphone ends of option 1 might mean that there are mini XLR connectors dangling where they might touch your neck or colorbones.

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Thanks. Yes, I'm well aware of all that. :)

The one point where option 1 wins is in ease of storage. Take a look at our Custom Listening Station and you'll understand. Basically we need to be able to store all the headphone cables EASILY on the shelf. So the shorter the better. Obviously the very short adapters of option 1 would require no manipulation at all for storage, so that would compensate having to plug/unplug 2 mini-XLR connectors instead of 1.

Option 2 could be acceptable, provided the Y-splits aren't too long so we can easily store them. I'm undecided about that part.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Have you considered a variant of Option 2, wherein the Y-splits B, C and D are actualized by the existing cables of the respective headphones? The desired reduction in length is achieved by winding the cable (starting with the portion/s above the Y-split) around the headphone headband until the remainder is of the requisite length for easiest storage at the HP rack. The long cable A in this case would be a long extension aux cable with a right angled 3.5mm stereo plug, of course, with a 3.5mm female socket at the other end and a two- or three-inch solid adapter for a 6.35mm headphone cable plug when needed. The actual execution would require some ingenuity to meet your ergonomic and aesthetic criteria, but from what you've posted of your entire set-up, if anyone has the ingenuity and perseverance it calls for, you do. For example, in some cases, the bulk of the headphone cable length could be hidden inside the headband.

Last edited:
OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Thanks, I appreciate :) Honestly, that's not something I'd like to do. Here's why :
  • 2 of our headphones cables are of insufficient quality (not talking about audio properties but about the look & feel). The Nighthawk Carbon's cable which is terrible (it has been recently described by @frogmeat69 as a garden hose, which is pretty accurate :p), and the Sundara cable which is not as terrible, but still (not supple enough and not nice to the touch). The HD600 cable is OK since it's just an ordinary cable.

• The locking 4-pin MiniXLR connector seems more convenient that the usual 3.5mm jack. We have already had issues due to bad connections on 3.5mm / 6.35mm jacks. At least with the MiniXLR we'll have a rugged connector and a solid connection. We don't mind paying a bit more for that part.
For those reasons, we might as well replace all three cables, put MiniXLR connectors where we need them, and solve not only our "touch & feel" problems but also our storage problems.

Still undecided between option 1 and 2 though. I wish there was some killer argument that would help us decide. :confused:

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

OK, so I'm getting ready to order. I think we have settled on option 2, so here's the general idea :
  • Interconnect cables (about 1.5 m) : 3.5mm TRS minijack --> Mini-XLR
  • Headphone cables (30 cm) : Mini-XLR --> 2 x [Headphone connector, depending on the headphone]
My question may seem trivial but it's been puzzling me : Mini-XLR 3P or 4P ?
It all boils down to this now. Pros/Cons please ?

I would think that 4P is more appropriate (that's what Hart Audio use in most of their custom cables (HC-5, HC-7, HC-9...).
However, 3P would allow me to use standard (and cheap) interconnects like these ones that can be found on Amazon, since a lot of cans use a single mini-XLR 3P for stereo purposes (the 1990 Pro, many AKGs...) :
https://www.amazon.fr/HILABEE-Câble-Rechange-K240S-K240MK/dp/B07L67X8VT
https://www.amazon.fr/remplacement-...240-MK2-Pioneer-HDJ-2000-casque/dp/B07CBV7TBP

What do you think ? Thank you.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

OK, so I'm getting ready to order. I think we have settled on option 2, so here's the general idea :
  • Interconnect cables (about 1.5 m) : 3.5mm TRS minijack --> Mini-XLR
  • Headphone cables (30 cm) : Mini-XLR --> 2 x [Headphone connector, depending on the headphone]
My question may seem trivial but it's been puzzling me : Mini-XLR 3P or 4P ?
It all boils down to this now. Pros/Cons please ?

I would think that 4P is more appropriate (that's what Hart Audio use in most of their custom cables (HC-5, HC-7, HC-9...).
However, 3P would allow me to use standard (and cheap) interconnects like these ones that can be found on Amazon, since a lot of cans use a single mini-XLR 3P for stereo purposes (the 1990 Pro, many AKGs...) :
https://www.amazon.fr/remplacement-...240-MK2-Pioneer-HDJ-2000-casque/dp/B07CBV7TBP

What do you think ? Thank you.
Option 4P Pros:
-- No need to replace all the custom headphone connectors if in the future you decide to use balanced HP output from replacement amps, versus so needing for the 3P HP connectors in Option 3P
-- Ability to match cable wire across custom-built interconnects and HP connectors, versus possible mismatch using pre-built interconnects in Option 3P
Option 4P Cons:
-- Possible higher cost now of two custom 4P interconnects versus common pre-built 3P interconnects such as you linked to, and longer lead time of custom-built versus pre-built
-- Possible marginal higher cost now of 4P HP cables, versus Option 3P

The decision hinges on how unlikely you believe it is that you would want to change to using balanced HP output from any future replacements for your dual L30s. Bear in mind that almost every HP amp with balanced output also provides single-ended output. Assign a numeric probability P(bal) to the event E(bal) of switching to balanced HP outputs, such that 0 <= P(bal) <= 1 at some average years away. Estimate the differential cost penalty C(Opt3P) associated with Option 3P (mainly the cost of replacing the custom HP connectors), as well as the differential cost penalty C(Opt4P) of Option 4P based on the differential costs of the Cons listed above. Using the formula Risk R(E) = Probability P(E) x Cost penalty C(E), calculate R(Opt4P) = 1 x C(Opt4P), as well as R(Opt3P) = P(bal) x C(Opt3P). You want to minimize the risk associated with your decision: if R(Opt4P) is significantly less than R(Opt3P), you would rationally pick Opt4P, and vice-versa. If R(Opt3P) and R(Opt4P) are roughly equal, the decision comes down to a fair coin toss. The twist as compared with the usual risk assessment situation is that the differential cost penalty of R(Opt4P) is due now, versus the differential cost penalty of R(Opt3P) being due at the likely future date you assign to the event E(bal). If P(bal) = 0, and C(Opt4P) > 0, then obviously you go with Opt3P. If C(Opt4P) = 0, then there is no reason to not go with Opt4.

I cannot think of any other significant pros and cons. An additional possibility may be that (copying your idea for the 3P interconnects) you may be able to implement Option 4P at a lower cost than above, by using pre-built interconnects with standard XLR on one end and mini-XLR 4-pin at the other, if you can find ones long enough for sale. You would need to supplement these with two pre-built short 3.5mm single-ended to XLR adapters, which would be the only pieces needing to be replaced in case E(bal) occurs in the future. The downside is that an extra juncture between cables is involved, with the accompanying risk of imperfect signal transmission.

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Thanks for the detailed reply, lol. I agree with you.

I honestly don't want/need balanced. I don't even think it's better than unbalanced for headphone use. At least I'm not convinced (I have read a couple of articles on that matter). So I'm guessing I will happily stay with unbalanced for the years to come, and beyond. Like you said, even balanced amps have also unbalanced outputs.

Given that info, I would like to go 3P and it would be much, much cheaper in my case (I need 4 interconnects of about 1.5m each, that's 6m of custom cable in case of 4P). I'm just worried about what you just said :

possible mismatch using pre-built interconnects in Option 3P
I hadn't even considered that there could be a mistmatch in case of 3P. For 4P maybe, but isn't there a standard wiring diagram for 3P?

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

I hadn't even considered that there could be a mistmatch in case of 3P. For 4P maybe, but isn't there a standard wiring diagram for 3P?
Sorry, should have used clearer wording. I did not mean any kind of electrical mismatch; for audio electrics a cable wire is just a cable wire provided easy limits on resistance, capacitance, inductance and shielding are met, and I was also not referring to any possible miswiring - I assume whoever puts the cable together is competent about the needed polarities for the connector pins. I meant that the pre-built interconnect may not match the custom-built HP connector in terms of external color, thickness or suppleness. So the mismatch may not please aesthetically, depending on how picky you are ;).

OP
Jose Hidalgo

Jose Hidalgo

Oooooh, I understand now ! Thank you ! :D

In that case I think I'll just get the above-linked interconnects :

I like them as they are, and they look great for my use :)

In that case I would only need to order 3 short headphone cables like these :

Cables.jpg

I'm getting close to getting this done ! Yay !! :D

Top Bottom