• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modius/Magnius/Lokius issue….did I blow up the Modius by adding the Lokius?

OP
D

dufferdan

/Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app. When you start it up with the Modius connected and it is verified power on, the Modius should show the little speaker icon next to it indicating that it is the audio output device. Take a screenshot and post it.
1658198666312.png

This is what I see. Should it show a Modius connection? It is currently connected via USB....

OP
D

dufferdan

OK,, hooked up via optical digital connection. Powered the Modius from a 5V battery pack. Full sound and sounds simply awesome. Then put the Lokius in the mix. Ya, solid.

OK so we have sound. Now to figure out why the USB is problematic.

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 219094

This is what I see. Should it show a Modius connection? It is currently connected via USB....

The USB naming of the device is rarely ever what the device is actually called. However the USB controller in the product is programmed to respond to queries for its capabilities is how it shows up in AMS. Example below of a Douk U2 Pro attached to a Mac:

u2pro.png

Shows up as HIFI DSD.

If you open System Information, Option+Apple Menu, then click on System Information and then USB, might tell you more. However, it does show that the Modius is connected to the Mac.

If you have a stereo 3.5 mm to stereo male RCA cable you can hook that to the output of the Modius and then to the Line-In port on the Mac. Using something like Audacity or even REW, you can check the operation of the DAC to see if it is outputting signal by playing something through the DAC.

Deleted

That doesn't look right at all TBH, more so considering that USB audio CODEC 2 has an input. I have a feeling that this is not the USB from the Modius. Here is my non-e modius.

1.png2.png

OP
D

dufferdan

OK, so USB still not working. I have tried 2 USB ports on the back of the Mac. In the photo of my Audio Devices, you can see the little dialog warning by the speaker output....but I cannot figure out how to open it... Still sorting.

Deleted

That's not a warning but rather a setting for your alerts and sound effects. You can select a different output for warnings than the speakers by clicking the gear on the bottom.

edit: do you have a usb hub with an audio jack? That seems like what that USB audio could probably be. Have you tried a different cable?

sam_adams

OK, so USB still not working. I have tried 2 USB ports on the back of the Mac. In the photo of my Audio Devices, you can see the little dialog warning by the speaker output....but I cannot figure out how to open it... Still sorting.

If you hover the mouse pointer over it does it pop-up an info box? Have you disconnected all other USB devices?

OP
D

dufferdan

So here is something. I have the USB plugging into the decoding input and also have the Optical cable plugged into the Optical input. I get sound from the optical input to the DAC, but no sound from the USB. Note I only have to switch the output at the Mac. Still digging. Wondering if the cable went sideways....works one day, not the next.

sam_adams

So here is something. I have the USB plugging into the decoding input and also have the Optical cable plugged into the Optical input. I get sound from the optical input to the DAC, but no sound from the USB. Note I only have to switch the output at the Mac. Still digging. Wondering if the cable went sideways....works one day, not the next.

Stranger things have been known to happen.

OP
D

dufferdan

Stranger things have been known to happen.
Sorting it out....gonna try and pick up a new cable tomorrow....

Follow on question. I am guessing hooking the USB to a hub as opposed to direct out of the Mac is a no no...Anyone used a hub? I have a Thunderbolt hub out of one Thunderbolt connector to run a monitor, etc.

In the System:

1658202390798.png

Showing Burr Brown, doesn't make much sense. Clearly not the Modius....I don't think....

Attachments

• 1658202331629.png
    1658202331629.png
    392.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

sam_adams

Sorting it out....gonna try and pick up a new cable tomorrow....

Follow on question. I am guessing hooking the USB to a hub as opposed to direct out of the Mac is a no no...Anyone used a hub? I have a Thunderbolt hub out of one Thunderbolt connector to run a monitor, etc.

In the System:

View attachment 219106

Showing Burr Brown, doesn't make much sense. Clearly not the Modius....I don't think....

No it's not. The Modius-E has an ESS DAC in it. Anything else plugged in like a headset/mic combo, external powered desktop speakers?

OP
D

dufferdan

No it's not. The Modius-E has an ESS DAC in it. Anything else plugged in like a headset/mic combo, external powered desktop speakers?
ya, my Bose (I know, don't say it) external speakers. I'll unplug those, re-boot and see what shows. In the Audio Out selector, they show as a Bose USB Audio (see the first screenshot) and I can switch between the Bose and other outputs with no issue.

But to be sure, I will take those out.

OP
D

dufferdan

OK, fixed! After a lot of back and forth with Schiit, finally it came down to them suggesting I first plug the wall wart into power and hooking USB up to the power USB input (closest to outside edge), THEN hooking USB from computer to the Modius data port. I now have full operational excellence with audio from all outputs.

In my defence, reading their online troubleshooting, it isn't explicit that you would hook up the power port AND hook up the USB data port at the same time. While they do say power comes from USB, it sounds like the USB power is only used if you want to use one of the other inputs NOT USB. Apparently, when plugging into the power USB port, it disables the power feed on the data USB port. Now I see this:
59546D1E-3229-407D-B033-C642C0985AFC.png

A lot of phasing about to get it sorted, but done now and sounding great. I'll be figuring out a small riser so I can put my Valhalla 2 on top of the stack using the RCA out from the Lokius. Eventually I will replace the BOSE speaker system with hopefully some Genelecs and I will be pretty much done for a computer system.

Attachments

• tempImage82qAKJ.png
    tempImage82qAKJ.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
OK, fixed! After a lot of back and forth with Schiit, finally it came down to them suggesting I first plug the wall wart into power and hooking USB up to the power USB input (closest to outside edge), THEN hooking USB from computer to the Modius data port. I now have full operational excellence with audio from all outputs.
I suggested this on Monday remember? :p

... glad you have it sorted.

JSmith

OP
D

dufferdan

I suggested this on Monday remember? :p

... glad you have it sorted.

JSmith
I was concerned about two power supplies being plugged in at the same time. When they clarified That plugging into the power USB defeats the power feed from the data USB, I went after it.

antennaguru

What a useless thread!

Duffer Dan needs to go back to the golf course and keeping duffing...

Top Bottom