• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modi3 + Zen CAN good combo?

domijack281

I use hip-dac with HifiMan Sundara using 4.4mm balanced cable.
Dont use that much high-res audio especially MQA, mostly up to 24/48kHz. So thinking of going with more basic DAC instead if Zen Dac. Either Schiit Modi or Tempotec Sonata HD Pro using either 3.5 to rca or 3.5-3.5mm interconnect cable.

For amp I am leaning to pick CAN due to xbass feature that brings up bass that lacks a little in Sundara and its 4.4mm output that would allow me to keep same cable when switching between desktop and portable setting.

Any reason to pick a different DAC or amp? I am aiming to keep budget below $250.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I would go with Schiit or Topping over ifi. The Can has disapointing performance in a fancy case. Modi 3+ is way better than ifi. So is Topping D10.

OP
D

domijack281

I would go with Schiit or Topping over ifi. The Can has disapointing performance in a fancy case. Modi 3+ is way better than ifi. So is Topping D10.
Would you say the Ifi Can has more crossover distortion than two others, kinda more similar to sound produced by 5mA output signal vs 40mA? Having listen to samples, in first example the sound seems tinnier, sharper than in the demo B where it sounded fuller and cleaner.

raif71

Major Contributor
Would you say the Ifi Can has more crossover distortion than two others, kinda more similar to sound produced by 5mA output signal vs 40mA? Having listen to samples, in first example the sound seems tinnier, sharper than in the demo B where it sounded fuller and cleaner.

Are crossover and crosstalk the same? Amir talked about crosstalk and the video is crossover.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Are crossover and crosstalk the same? Amir talked about crosstalk and the video is crossover.
:D:facepalm:... not the same at all.

I am not sure how substantially crossover distortion is influencing SINAD in the Zen Can; just that the SINAD is uncompetitive.

To be frank, I don't really care why it only manages a little over 100dB SINAD when there are competing products that are well over 115 in the same price range. The Zen Can shouldn't have any blatantly audible problems, but I don't see a reason to compromise unless you like the 1960s quasi retro futuristic aesthetic. If you like discrete performance, look at the amazing Gustard products. If you just want performance, look at Topping. I like a lot of Schiit too.

raif71

Major Contributor

I am not sure how substantially crossover distortion is influencing SINAD in the Zen Can; just that the SINAD is uncompetitive.

To be frank, I don't really care why it only manages a little over 100dB SINAD when there are competing products that are well over 115 in the same price range. The Zen Can shouldn't have any blatantly audible problems, but I don't see a reason to compromise unless you like the 1960s quasi retro futuristic aesthetic. If you like discrete performance, look at the amazing Gustard products. If you just want performance, look at Topping. I like a lot of Schiit too.
I bought the ifi zen can coz of its power. I was having problems of driving slow classical music with competing amps using the Senns 6++ series. Sure I can crank them to their highest gain but the ifi zen can has more headroom with its 4 gain switch (I'm comfortable at 2nd gain) and it's a balanced amp too. I get more power with Topping E30 and Ifi Zen Can than with other competing amps but that's just me I guess. :)

Last edited:
OP
D

domijack281

The Zen Can shouldn't have any blatantly audible problems, but I don't see a reason to compromise unless you like the 1960s quasi retro futuristic aesthetic. If you like discrete performance, look at the amazing Gustard products. If you just want performance, look at Topping. I like a lot of Schiit too.
I am set on between CAN and Topping A50s and its interesting that somebody else on another forum reported when paired with Topping D50s and trying both A50s and CAN, that CAN was more enjoyable and had more power and A50s had no mids in comparison and sounded anemic and fatiguing. :oops:

For me one of the most concerning issues with ifi, seems to be channel imbalance at low volume that might carry over from hip-dac to zen can for my Sundara. Its plenty loud without gain already at volume 10 and when going below it, I start getting some slight channel imbalance.

One thing is clear from this. ifi products are not for people who mix music, whatever they market and name "warm relax sound". Might ok for fun listening unless iFi' sound signature's spray of distortion brings up harsh fatiguing brightness.

When it comes to their DACs, I am sure I am not gonna get them and get Schiit Modi instead. I like neutral with slight warmer side sound signature but I wouldn't want it too warm and relaxed lacking details and accuracy.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I would get a Lokius if I wanted warm sound and didn't have the ability to apply parametric equalization in computer software. Frequency response is the vast majority of the difference in systems that sound different, and a Lokius will give you some control of that. Modius, Magnius, Lokius would provide excellent performance in a lovely stack for $700. Modi3+, IEMagni and Loki+ would be pretty close for <$400

The other great thing about tone control is you can adjust on the fly for any recording that isn't quite right for your setup.

OP
D

domijack281

I would get a Lokius if I wanted warm sound and didn't have the ability to apply parametric equalization in computer software. .

I use eqMac but it has issues on Big Sur after waking up Mac from sleep. Though I believe there is another excellent software EQ for Mac under $35 with a lifetime license.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
I am set on between CAN and Topping A50s and its interesting that somebody else on another forum reported when paired with Topping D50s and trying both A50s and CAN, that CAN was more enjoyable and had more power and A50s had no mids in comparison and sounded anemic and fatiguing. :oops:

For me one of the most concerning issues with ifi, seems to be channel imbalance at low volume that might carry over from hip-dac to zen can for my Sundara. Its plenty loud without gain already at volume 10 and when going below it, I start getting some slight channel imbalance.

One thing is clear from this. ifi products are not for people who mix music, whatever they market and name "warm relax sound". Might ok for fun listening unless iFi' sound signature's spray of distortion brings up harsh fatiguing brightness.

When it comes to their DACs, I am sure I am not gonna get them and get Schiit Modi instead. I like neutral with slight to warmer side sound signature but I wouldn't want it too warm and relaxed lacking details and accuracy.
From this post, did you already demo the hip-dac with zen can?

OP
D

domijack281

From this post, did you already demo the hip-dac with zen can?
No I have not yet ordered anything yet. I am just using hip-dac for now. I am thinking of whether I should get a better cable first than NewFantasia SPC cable I got. While it got excellent reviews on Amazon, some people reported that it introduced a fuzz distortion or lowered bass and increased highs, but overall I only noticed increased mids and highs presence compared to stock cable when paired with hip-dac.
On other hand IEMs commonly use SPC wiring and it seems to be no issue.

My only complaint its little stiff but pretty durable and already past the return period.

raif71

Major Contributor
No I have not yet ordered anything yet. I am just using hip-dac for now. I am thinking of whether I should get a better cable first than NewFantasia SPC cable I got. While it got excellent reviews on Amazon, some people reported that it introduced a fuzz distortion or lowered bass and increased highs, but overall I only noticed increased mids and highs presence compared to stock cable when paired with hip-dac.
On other hand IEMs commonly use SPC wiring and it seems to be no issue.

My only complaint its little stiff but pretty durable and already past the return period.
Most of my audio gear purchases are made trying and demoing at a few local audio shops. The shop also have demo headphones (the ones that I have) but some don't so I bring my own headphones. Only when I'm fully satisfied, a purchase is made. I thought that you actually tried out the ifi zen can at a shop. :)

OP
D

domijack281

Most of my audio gear purchases are made trying and demoing at a few local audio shops. The shop also have demo headphones but some don't so I bring my own headphones. Only when I'm fully satisfied, a purchase is made. I thought that you actually tried out the ifi zen can at a shop. :)

I live in the US, there are not many audio shops here, even in the San Francisco Bay Area. When it comes to headphones, IEMs etc it pretty much comes down to ordering online and returning things that don’t work out.

Last edited:
OP
D

domijack281

After some careful consideration I decided to backorder modius/magnius stack rather than mix modi with zen can or other. They will arrive in 6-8 weeks. Other than lack of 4.4mm output, it seems best among budget amplifiers.
Not sure if I should get xlr-4.4mm converter or just new balanced XLR cable to replace my NewFantasia SPC wire cables.

The youkamoo converter sold on Amazon seems solid.

MalinYamato

are you aware that there is a Zen Can V2 HFM optimized for HFM phones like Sundara? It has an HFM button that adjusts it so that HFMs sound better with stronger bass. I got one and it sounds lovely.
4032-3024-max.jpg

Top Bottom