• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modi 3 worth the money over 2/2U?

masqueraid

Hey folks! I finally upgraded my old portable DAC/Amp, the iBasso Mamba D4, with the Schiit Magni 3. I was planning on continuing to use my D4 as my DAC, but I realized that I would need lots of cabling and adapters to make it all work, and I'm worried about what that might to do sound and noise. (I would need to split the 3.5mm unamped output of the D4 to run to the Magni and to my separate powered speaker, with an adapter to convert the 3.5mm to RCA input for the Magni, or alternatively an RCA to 3.5mm to run the speakers through Magni's preamp outputs.)

I'm considering either the Modi 3 or saving some money and going for preowned or a closeout Modi 2 or Modi 2 Uber. I don't use any other inputs other than USB (I can't get other outputs from my laptop setup). I'm pairing these with my HD650s.

I've run a whole bunch of searches and I'm getting a bit lost in the conversations about this choice. I read through the articles measuring these DACs, but they were mostly focused on comparing to the multibits or to Topping models. Are there notable differences in the measurements or sound profile of the Modi 3, 2, and 2 Uber, and anything particular in their pairing with the HD650s to keep in mind?

Much appreciated!

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Modi 3 performs a lot better than the Modi 2 on a technical level. Whether these improvements are actually audible is doubtful IMHO, as even the worse-performing Modi 2 has its noise and distortion components below -95dB, meaning that unless you listen very loud, these won't begin to even possibly become audible.

Most decent DACs perform better than humans can hear - I'd put both the Modi 2 and the Modi 3 in this category. However, if you want to rest knowing you bought the better-performing device, go for the Modi 3.

OP
M

masqueraid

Most decent DACs perform better than humans can hear - I'd put both the Modi 2 and the Modi 3 in this category. However, if you want to rest knowing you bought the better-performing device, go for the Modi 3.

Thanks, andreasmaaan - this is a great response. Despite this, I suppose it's still worth upgrading the iBasso Mamba D4 rather than attempting to use it as a DAC through all this wiring?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, andreasmaaan - this is a great response. Despite this, I suppose it's still worth upgrading the iBasso Mamba D4 rather than attempting to use it as a DAC through all this wiring?

No problem :) Using a 3.5mm to RCA cable or RCA cable + 3.5mm adaptor is extremely unlikely to have any audible effect on the sound at all. I certainly wouldn't abandon your current setup just to avoid doing this.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
modi3 has clear advantages. magni 3 vs 2 on the other hand - not so much. but they have a lot of B-stock for Magni 3.

OP
M

masqueraid

modi3 has clear advantages. magni 3 vs 2 on the other hand - not so much. but they have a lot of B-stock for Magni 3.

What are those advantages if the improvements are inaudible as andreas states?

Top Bottom