• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modern preamps with "Rec Out"?

Roland68

Major Contributor
I find it a bit strange that these companies didn't include a rec out/line out as a passthrough for a headphone amplifier, considering they also manufacture them and they are very commonly used.
The question is, do you need a preamp at all?
A headphone amplifier is a preamplifier with an additional output stage. Many headphone amplifiers are now even better.
Just get a good headphone amp with a preamp output.
Amazon and HiFi-Express still have the Sabaj A10h with relay-based volume control and remote control for well under €100.

ethernode

I think the OP wants to share the sources without replugging them into the headphone amp or resorting to RCA selectors, and does not want to rely on the headphone output of the amp either. Hence a preamp or integrated with rec out so that the headphone preamp has as much untouched feed as possible.

DSJR

Major Contributor
What are 90's, noughties Rotel preamps like in the outside world. The 'eye-fi/price-tag' thing is always an issue here, but the 850 and 950/970 Rotel preamps seem affordable used and I think they were always well put together inside...

Other possibilities on the used market were the always solid and dependable UK made Audiolab 8000c (best in final black cased form) and 8000Q which lacked phono stage and had a non-used? option of balanced outputs via transformers (i think the company became Tag McLaren Audio before balanced ever became an option. No idea on the Tag replacements (a few audiophile caps and so on I believe) and the Chinese versions which were far cheaper.

Also there is the ADVANCE PARIS PX1 preamp
Tad off topic, but I wish this one, and this brand, were a bit more discussed here. Seems like a great box, features-wise. For example, there is a low-pass for sub, and a high-pass rca out, which seems an ideal combination, but also a full signal rca out, as well as XLR out. Sadly it is not measured, which would be very useful considering some of the features like this one : The PX-1's interactive menu offers you two modes of use, "Class A" mode or discrete mode. The "Class A" output is based on a circuit based on bipolar transistors only, in a "double cascode" type assembly offering performance in terms of distortion gradient close to a tube assembly, therefore very homogeneous and polarized in Class A, the "discrete" output is a stage based on a more classic typology based on a differential stage JFET input and bipolar current mirror with a polarized output in class AB, more prone to distortion in odd harmonics sometimes less appreciated "at the ear", but sometimes also felt as more defined.
But yeah, I can't be easy for Amir to get its hands on a preamp from a relatively small french brand..

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Primare A 32 (or more recent pre35 ) seems to me to meet the prerequisites ... not only is it beautiful but the connectivity is complete ... it seems to me that Amir has one ?

primare_pre32_back.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom