• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modern preamps with "Rec Out"?

mackat

Forum Donor
Hi,

I am looking at buying an Audiophonics HPA-S400ET or similar Hypex amplifier to use with my Revel F206 speakers.

I have considered pairing it with a Schiit Saga S or Freya S preamp (I don't really need balanced), but the issue is that they don't have a "Rec Out/Tape Out" RCA line-level passthrough that I can connect to my headphone amplifier. They have 2 RCA outputs, but both are designed to go into a power amp and are controlled by the volume knob.

In the past, I used switch boxes for this, but I have discovered that I prefer the simplicity of using a passthrough from the preamp.

Are there any quality, new (remote controlled volume) preamps that have this feature? I haven't been able to find any. I'm sure I could find an 80's-90's model, but I'd prefer new, if there are any.

Thanks!
Ben

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want line out that bypasses volume the Rotel RC-1590 MKII.

• Stereo Line Output: There is also a stereo RCA line output that can be used to send the analog audio to a separate processor device; these outputs bypass the volume encoder and are full-line level output all the time.
Parasound Halo P6
  • unbalanced stereo RCA fixed-level recording output
Anthem STR

• 1 set of fixed-level line outputs for connecting a headphone amp or recording device

Last edited:
OP
M

mackat

Forum Donor
Thank you both for the suggestions! It looks like there's really nothing in the price range I was hoping for, so I'll have to just use a switch box with the Schiit or go for an older unit.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheaper preamp with fixed output

ethernode

Also interested in this, have a Kenwood basic c1 but it would need a full restoration (likely extremely costly if not risky) and I'd like network volume control at some point.

ethernode

Last edited:

ethernode

Also there is the tisbury mini passive preamp 2 that provides a fixed output and is really cheap -- but no remote control (off topic I know, but still being made so that's kind of modern right?) https://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/mini-passive-preamplifier

However I believe that passive amps are a bit controversial in terms of transparency.

I'm baffled how hard it is to find preamps with fixed outputs... The good old days of mixtapes are well gone !

On my side, I use the fixed output for a "low tech" multiroom system, where I use analog balun adapters to carry audio over shielded RJ45 cables. Zero latency, zero bugs, future proof.

ethernode

Also there is the ADVANCE PARIS PX1 preamp and the ATOLL PR200 SIGNATURE (each is around 1000€)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ethernode

Thanks for the pointers.
It's not that clear to me: if you set the output mode to "XLR only", the RCA out will become fixed volume ?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the pointers.
It's not that clear to me: if you set the output mode to "XLR only", the RCA out will become fixed volume ?

"One peculiarity: You can set the Pre90's output to "XLR only," "RCA only," or both "RCA and XLR." As is typical in devices that offer both, balanced output is 6dB higher than unbalanced output. When you choose XLR output only, the display reflects the XLR output—as you would expect. Similarly, when you select RCA output only, the display shows the RCA output. But when you choose "RCA and XLR" output, the XLR output will be higher than the RCA output by 6dB, but the display will indicate the gain at the RCA output. So, the Pre90 will display 0dB when the RCA is outputting the same level as the input signal—but the XLR output will be 6dB louder than the display indicates. These phenomena are not affected by the choice of input."

It's either or both outputs. So you'd set the output connected to your HP amp to 0dB and the other to whatever was appropriate for your power amp. However, accidentally selecting XLR + RCA sounds a bit risky if you have one output set to max (especially the RCA output). @Kal Rubinson wrote the Sterophile review and maybe able to shed more light on your suggested use case.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
"One peculiarity: You can set the Pre90's output to "XLR only," "RCA only," or both "RCA and XLR." As is typical in devices that offer both, balanced output is 6dB higher than unbalanced output. When you choose XLR output only, the display reflects the XLR output—as you would expect. Similarly, when you select RCA output only, the display shows the RCA output. But when you choose "RCA and XLR" output, the XLR output will be higher than the RCA output by 6dB, but the display will indicate the gain at the RCA output. So, the Pre90 will display 0dB when the RCA is outputting the same level as the input signal—but the XLR output will be 6dB louder than the display indicates. These phenomena are not affected by the choice of input."

It's either or both outputs. So you'd set the output connected to your HP amp to 0dB and the other to whatever was appropriate for your power amp. However, accidentally selecting XLR + RCA sounds a bit risky if you have one output set to max (especially the RCA output). @Kal Rubinson wrote the Sterophile review and maybe able to shed more light on your suggested use case.
I don't think it is risky. Once both are connected, they are regulated in tandem and, generally, by ear. What you cannot do, afaik, is impose a custom fixed difference in output, other than that 6dB, so if that is required, you will have to do it in another way.

ethernode

Thanks for clarifying ! One more contender then, as long as you use an XLR power amp and buy the additional inputs extension (but @mackat did not describe the required inputs).

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the Quad Artera PRE (analog only). It has a second RCA out that is fixed. The "AUX" below. US$1500 I think over there. Brings back the old Quad tilt tone control as well, not that I use it. Trimmable gain on each input too which is nice.

1675839265622.png

OP
M

mackat

Forum Donor
I find it a bit strange that these companies didn't include a rec out/line out as a passthrough for a headphone amplifier, considering they also manufacture them and they are very commonly used.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
that quad is a gorgeous looking piece of equipment but it makes the sin of removing the volume knob for aesthetics

i quite like this segment... i would love a line stage analog preamp but it seems to be not the way things are going now

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
that quad is a gorgeous looking piece of equipment but it makes the sin of removing the volume knob for aesthetics

i quite like this segment... i would love a line stage analog preamp but it seems to be not the way things are going now
Yes it does, but what one reviewer didn't realize is that you can change the volume on the unit itself by pressing on the edges of the display. Still, there are some changes I asked them to make, just as having a display time-out, but I am not holding my breath. They couldn't even be bothered putting the manual up on their website, I had to ask for that.

JiiPee

Exposure 3510 and 5010 preamps both come with rec out and remote control.

Top Bottom