• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modern Multi-zone amplifier - Whole-house solution

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that I’ve settled on the Revel M105 for my speakers, I need an amplifier to handle three separate rooms of audio. I’d like to be able to feed the channels with a WiFi streaming source, too. Last: Room correction for each room separately. Is there such an animal or should I get a semi-professional amp and feed it from a multi-channel DAC? Not looking to break the bank and hoping for something better than a typical AVR.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roon is the obvious solution.

You may add correction for each endpoint, and even create it from REW measurements.

I used a Bluesound/NAD in house, and I like it.
But I can do more with Roon. Use any Bluesound or NAD hardware, but also a wide choice of other components, like Chromecast audio, PCs, smartphones, Raspberry Pis, as end points.
Pretty cool.
In my office, the chromecast audio is connected through optical SPDIF to an RME ADI-2, which feeds the Genelec, as an example.

Of course, you need to pay the license.
And, ideally, you need a server (I just installed a NUC10i7, where I deployed VMWare ESXi Hypervisor 6.7 (free) and that box is able to run Roon and a bunch of other VMs... while consuming 10watts.)

If only I could FEED Roon from my Dante network, that would be perfect :)

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
LogitechMediaServer can do the whole multi-room thing too. There's a plugin to use BruteFIR on the server end with different config per endpoint, but it's a bit old and needs installing manually. Alternatively you can run the room correction on the endpoint - daphile has it built in, but others probably need manual intervention. Pick a DAC and amp according to the room requirements.

Top Bottom