• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modern AVR Phono Preamp - Reviews and MM only

apexkingjusto

Sorry if this has been discussed, I searched for a while before deciding to start a new thread.

I have a current model Marantz AVR which outputs to B&K monoblocks powering front ADS 3ways bookshelves. I just ordered a Technics 100C and am considering my overall setup.

Are measurements of the phono preamp inputs on AVR's ever taken and reviewed?

What data should be considered for comparing my current state vs. adding in a preamp vs. going from a preamp directly to the monoblocks (assuming the inclusion of some sort of switch).

The other rational behind this search is I will be limited to MM cartridges with my AVR, so if I want to use an MC cartridge I will need some additional kit (having fun learning about MC cartridges and step-up transformers/head amps now).

Thanks

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 3.47.26 PM.png

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
To avoid spending unnecessary money, you could try your turntable and MM cartridge into the AVR and see if you like it.

I would expect that the AVR measures OK. But it probably is an afterthought in the design, so you may be lucky and it's great, or it may not be. Reviews of AVRs may not even test the phono stage.

Many on here like the ART DJ, as a low cost, workable design, if you want to experiment.

MC cartridges generate very low output. This can be challenging, especially from a noise perspective. Some people prefer SUTs rather than high gain phono preamps.

OP
A

apexkingjusto

To avoid spending unnecessary money, you could try your turntable and MM cartridge into the AVR and see if you like it.

I would expect that the AVR measures OK. But it probably is an afterthought in the design, so you may be lucky and it's great, or it may not be. Reviews of AVRs may not even test the phono stage.

Many on here like the ART DJ, as a low cost, workable design, if you want to experiment.

MC cartridges generate very low output. This can be challenging, especially from a noise perspective. Some people prefer SUTs rather than high gain phono preamps.
That ART DJ looks good, especially for the price, but certainly will try directly into the AVR first.

I saw some neat SUT diy kits posted, might guy be a fun project.

OP
A

apexkingjusto

Well I am floored with this new table, even plugged into the AVR and using the included AT-VM95C it’s remarkable.

That said, I’m also still getting used to this new setup with the ADS’s, B&K, and updates to Audyssey using the app.

Have a new setup for media stand coming tomorrow that will allow me to mount the turntable. Posting the vaulted ceiling as it must be helping, just with I could apply some data to all of this, but getting there.
image.jpg
74D43D56-868D-4D7B-9BF1-EF91C59397EB.jpeg

9124A202-4275-4A90-890E-0D386E66FC82.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B69C8C4-9391-4B31-9F47-800A4A8C6649.jpeg
    9B69C8C4-9391-4B31-9F47-800A4A8C6649.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom