• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mobile music upgrades.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I've lived with an sdxc modded ipod for a number of years via Sony mdr 800 ex St and its been OK. But I fancied a change, the ability to drive balanced and use PEQ.

Enter the fiio m15. Sounded a little better than the ipod with no eq, using Oratory's 10 band PEQ with the Sonys was a revelation though, deep, flat, wide, even FR and amelioration of the Sonys bumpy upper mids lower treble.

Seeing as I was on a winning streak I bought a pair of Thieaudio Oracle tribrids. Highly lauded for their evenhanded response and the current darlings of just about every reviewer online.

To put it mildly, they're 5hite. Recessed, cuppy, lacking in detail and air but strong on one note sub bass thump.

It blows my mind what passes for decent sounding the iem market.

I shall sit down tonight and work out an eq for them and see if I can get them to sound as good as my 6 year old, 1/3 price Sonys.

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
What do you want? DAP or tumb USB DAC and at what price, meby a player suggestion. Fixed band EQ is not parametric EQ.

OP
S

sq225917

Major Contributor
It's a FIIO m15, dap/dac/headphone amp, I'm using Neutron player and it's PEQ.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Neutron has a best PEQ of all mobile software player's, unfortunately it's buggy and very limited regarding streaming services (radio works great).
Regarding FiiO M15 it performs quite good especially for a DAP but in my opinion not really worth the money and their software stack isn't mature enough. I don't like Android as DAP OS (it's heavy and suck battery). The HiBy R3Pro is almost there on pair with it regarding mesured performance while costing 1/6 of the price.
But that's not an answer what you want to improve or what you need?

Last edited:
OP
S

sq225917

Major Contributor
I'm happy with the M15, I don't use any wireless, it's just a fancy ipod with PEQ.

I'm just expressing my dissatisfaction with how hyped the iem market is. All I want is neutral, with as little eq Intervention as possible.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well I can't tell you what neutral is nor I intend to influence how loud (see ISO 226 for hedaphones) and how do you love to listen to music. Best I can is tell you which one's will take a lot (bost or loudness if you wish) in lower bass region including good sub bass extensions without severe distortion with overlay correct response in mids and reasonably regarding highs while having nice impulse response. And you can get there for 100$, 60$ even with FiiO if you are satisfied with cable which comes with them. IEM market is hipped probably more than anything else in audio industry because they are very popular and where is interest and money there is snake oil naturally. Luckily places like this do exist.

Last edited:
OP
S

sq225917

Major Contributor
I use it 8 hours a day at my desk. Noise isolation all that stuff are unimportant, I just want a pair I can eq easily without running into distortion limits. I'm no bass head, the harman curve is 4db too high for me up to about 300hz.

I'm very happy with the sonys, but they're falling to bits.

OP
S

sq225917

Major Contributor
Nice and flat looking, only £30 for the 3.5mm versions

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Where to hell did you find them for 30 quids?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think people are confusing the creative audio trio with the trio LS. Different models. The LS are £30 or less and look and feel cheaper than that. Can't comment on the sound as never used (yet)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I think people are confusing the creative audio trio with the trio LS. Different models. The LS are £30 or less and look and feel cheaper than that. Can't comment on the sound as never used (yet)
Yup that's that definitely.

OP
S

sq225917

Major Contributor
Gotcha. Swap out the cable for a balanced one without the mic and with ear hooks and just wear them swapped over and upside down and they could be a real goer. Thanks

OP
S

sq225917

Major Contributor
Mmm, can only find the cheap ones or the sxfi

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Those are different IEM's (completely).
A 100$ one's Aurvana Trio which I showed you And Aurvana Trio LS a cheap 36$ ones which you found.

OP
S

sq225917

Major Contributor
The ones you refer to are discontinued in uk

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Didn't know that they stopped making them, there is equally priced with same drivers neckband BT version but I really won't recommend them, if you can find old wired Aurvana Trio then consider them, let's just forget other two versions (BT/LS).

Top Bottom