• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mobile Fidelity Analog Vinyl Controversy

Leporello

A herbal homeopathy medicine manufacturer claiming its products are biodynamically grown. Turns out the are not. Customers feel this is fraudulent because only biodynamically grown herbal homeopathy medicines work.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like Mofi did pretty much what I suggested they should here:

And got it approved.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
From the article: Among other things, the challengers had argued that the settlement’s payouts were insufficient based on how much they might have won at trial.

MoFi buyer,
"Oh poor me, I was made to look such a fool. I bought these expensive XXL hockey pucks because they were pure analog without any of the nasty digital sound. Then after listening to them for X amount of years, I was never able to hear any digital nasties until some whistle blower told everyone what they really were. I want to be reimbursed big time for my tin ears being exposed to the whole audiophool community!!! :mad: "

ROTFLMAO ;)

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
If you can sue MF for this, can’t you equally sue them (or anyone else) for promoting all-analogue as higher quality, when the all-analogue brigade have been trumpeting some of these digital releases as the best ever, and proof that analogue is better?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If you can sue MF for this, can’t you equally sue them (or anyone else) for promoting all-analogue as higher quality, when the all-analogue brigade have been trumpeting some of these digital releases as the best ever, and proof that analogue is better?
That's just the insanity of modern audiophoolery.
With Stereophile and TAS being like Hot Rod magazine saying that 70s muscle cars outperform todays incredible builds. :facepalm:

levimax

Major Contributor
In the US at least "Puffery" (exaggeration) is allowed so "analog sounds better" is OK as it is an exaggeration of "analog sounds good" and "sounds good" is not well defined in any case. A claim of "all analog" when it can be proven there was a A to D to A conversion is verifiably false and you can get into legal trouble for that. In some cases the line is not clear.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's way more exciting that there are DSD256 recordings of these albums that potentially could be released without all the lose in Soundquality introduced by Vinyl.

:)

Except knowing Mofi , they'll released them as SACD, possibly the most pointless and convoluted consumer format out there (this side of MQA)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Except knowing Mofi , they'll released them as SACD, possibly the most pointless and convoluted consumer format out there (this side of MQA)
OUCH, but your right. LOL
The best use of the format was having the extra room for discrete multich files.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
BluRay has even more.
Of course, but time marches on.
With wide bandwidth streaming I doubt we'll ever get a bigger optical media.
But with 8k video, who knows.

Hemi-Demon

I would certainly purchase a DSD version of their mastered version of Santana's Abraxas.

It's way more exciting that there are DSD256 recordings of these albums that potentially could be released without all the lose in Soundquality introduced by Vinyl.

:)

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sure, but they're hybrid SACDs, so there's a perfectly convenient CD layer on every one, with the same mastering.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sure, but they're hybrid SACDs, so there's a perfectly convenient CD layer on every one, with the same mastering.
Maybe, maybe not. The CD layer may contain a badly dynamicly compressed master, ya never know for sure until you measure it. :(

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe, maybe not. The CD layer may contain a badly dynamicly compressed master, ya never know for sure until you measure it. :(

True, but with Mobile Fidelity hybrid SACDs, I've found the mastering is the same on both layers. I've seen compression on the CD layer much more often on SACDs put out by major labels (like the Dark Side of the Moon SACD for example).

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Mofi actually helped these folks move a bit closer to reality. They might actually be able to use that in their defense, not kidding here.
Couldn't disagree more. This gives a bad name to No-BS crowd. It's NOT OK to cheat if you're the one doing the cheating. It doesn't matter if digital is better and I do believe it is, but a fraud is a fraud. Conning is not a favor to anyone. It was a simple case of false advertising and should be dealt with as with any false advertising. Sure, the whole outrage is silly, but be that as it may, if someone's looking for analogue through-and-through, don't sell him digital.

Poetic justice would be to order MoFI to finance digitizing some huge audio archive. A "community service" sentence.
Certainly they are not necessarily audible. The density of intersample overs -- quantity over time -- matters to audibility.
Not just that, but it's fairly easy to make a non-clipping digital recording. Clipping often comes from some bad decisions, while in records, certain inherent shortcomings you can do nothing about. I often see people with this skewed sense of leveling the playfield - let's say a bad thing about each so no one will come out better or worse. This is BS. There's no cure for the limits of records, while digital can always come incredibly close to what is recorded. So it's not merely a matter of choice, one is actually superior.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
In this thread a certain amount of analogies were made which, more than anything, prove their authors don't really understand the issue.

FrankW

It doesn't matter if digital is better and I do believe it is, but a fraud is a fraud. Conning is not a favor to anyone.
The fraud is audiophile-vinylphile hearing and beliefs. This very large scale blind test removed any shred of doubt about whether these delusional golden ears can "hear" digital "artifacts".
Anyone with an iota of sense knew they couldn't, this proved it in rather amusing fashion.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Couldn't disagree more. This gives a bad name to No-BS crowd. It's NOT OK to cheat if you're the one doing the cheating. It doesn't matter if digital is better and I do believe it is, but a fraud is a fraud. Conning is not a favor to anyone. It was a simple case of false advertising and should be dealt with as with any false advertising. Sure, the whole outrage is silly, but be that as it may, if someone's looking for analogue through-and-through, don't sell him digital.
Naw, I hear yah and in some other parallel reality I agree with you fully.
Here at this beautiful time I do stand by what I said.

The 5% rebate says it all.
I suppose some will take the full refund and sock that away toward a new power conditioner.

Regardless of what the 'legal' system says or some BS 'moral code of ethics', these buyers cheated themselves. We have all done it, from both ends. Even excluding calculating fraudsters-grifters and hucksters, many folks have their heads in the sand which is certainly cheating and the 'ignorance is a blissful' approach to life that many use as an excuse to leave behind a trail of tears. We have all been cheated at times, nobody is giving me the money back that was spent on 2 1m, $300 RCA cables in 1997 and I am still fuming.

Gucci bags and 'all analog' vinyl that go up and up in 'value' are the very products of a corrupted mindset in the 1st place.
I'd want to be encouraged to take a long hard look at my priorities if I was so stuck on that, this gives them a chance to clear the fog.
Not every good life lesson comes wrapped in fairy dust with a yellow smiley sticker, sometimes you trip and fall and the street wakes you up.
Street smarts are so valuable in my view and there is only one way to get them, hit that street. If it sounds too good to be true it is.

At AXPONA most rooms had vinyl spinning and very often it wasn't even connected, just a visual. A spotlight shining down on a $5-30k vinyl rig just spinning for show. In the rooms where it was being used it was often connected to showcase some halfway decent $20k speakers despite just about any track on Spotify offering greater fidelity. I am all for folks having 10,20,30,50 year vinyl collections and record shops reopening all around with good vibes, coffee and a dusty, musty 5 for $5 section on the back wall. I could care less if some fool's ego is hurt because he/she did not notice , nor ever would in 100million years, that their all analog pressing isn't as such. I am sure those albums sound great by that standard of that media. I just hope they are using the right wires that they bought from all the super nice wire guys, you sure wouldn't want to enjoy the nearly all analog goodness without a sick pile of wires.

Can we finally sue Shunyata Research and Audioquest now??

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are we sure it's always the same mastering?

A DSD version that's never seen PCM won't have any 'mastering' to speak of. Because you can't really do mastering in a 1-bit realm.

Mofi has always touted its releases being 'from the original masters' , but they never claimed they were offering 'flat transfers'.

Not to mention, a hybrid SACD never contains a multichannel PCM version, AFAIR.

Top Bottom