• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mobile Fidelity Analog Vinyl Controversy

Robin L

Master Contributor
emphasis added

I didn't go to law school, but... there must be a Latin term for that, right?
:cool:
Non compos mentis---"Not in their 'right mind'".

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit ? It’s very unethical now that we have the technology to preserve the recordings !

Wear down our cultural heritage so some audiphooles can enjoy “pristine” analog vinyl ,they will eventually be destroyed forever if one keep at it.

Imho it’s more unethical to wear out the masters than scam the audiophiles :) neither is good , but if one properly care for a good backup scheme , they digital versions may survive the master tapes us and mofi altogether.

Some people think you're being overdramatic but the fact that all what we have of the moon landing is a recording of a recording should be a warnning that these things shouldn't be shared wily nily.

composer

What if purists knew that a lot of music they listen to (not strictly electronic, way more than you could imagine) come from the likes of Fairlight CMI, Yamaha DX7, PPG Wave, Roland D50, Korg M1, that is to say digital synthesizers or samplers.
So that the so called "pure analog chain" is broken at the basis LOL

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Purists...
it-s-time-for-you-to-embrace-your-inner-bastard.jpg

formdissolve

Forum Donor
The last AAA all analogue record I bought was My Bloody Valentine's 2013 release. Sounds absolutely great on a good system.. but then again, so does the 24/96 PCM that I got free with it so it's a wash sometimes, and more of a preference at that point.. besides, I guarantee that even if vinyl releases like that or the Foo Fighters release that had all AAA provenance, there was still some digital involved in the instruments, pedals, etc (unless they can prove that).

I work at a small repertory movie theatre that still has 35mm projectors. Other than some old prints, almost ALL 35mm prints since some time in the 80s have had some form of digital involved, because that's when movies started to be edited on computers using NLE's. I still think the prints look better than DCP for many reasons (especially B/W films), but more and more prints these days are being held by the distributer in favor of DCP. Eventually there won't be any prints.. I can see this happening with vinyl in 30 years, where only niche companies still release records and the collector market goes through the roof.

Robin L

Master Contributor

formdissolve

Forum Donor
They would never call it AAA because that's literally impossible for an SACD release. (Or a CD release) The final letter has to be a D.
I just wish they'd start releasing DSD256 files since that what they record and master at (I'd take anything higher than 64), instead of their SACD's.. but they probably think piracy would ruin sales. However, you can rip SACD's using a $40 Sony Blu-Ray player and a small amount of tech know-how..

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure why not?

Or when doing the original DSD file they could use the master tape as if it were cutting the master lacquer, but instead it is cutting the master DSD file which will then be used instead.

I can think of other ways you could do it keeping everything else analog all the way.

As best I can tell from the online descriptions of the analog workflow, 'vinyl mastering' is equivalent to 'mastering for cutting' (...except when it isn't)

I need to find better sources. On most sites that discuss what an LP mastering engineer does, and how LPs are made -- these tend to be sites for commercial enterprises that either master or cut records -- there are no details of what 'intermedia', if any, are involved , i.e., if you start with a stereo mixdown tape of a single track , how many generations of tape are involved in getting it onto a lacquer master of an LP? There is rarely mention of 'production' master tapes.

And the amount of sheer anti-digital nonsense on some of these sites is appalling. E.g this one dives right into a pile of it

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As best I can tell from the online descriptions of the analog workflow, 'vinyl mastering' is equivalent to 'mastering for cutting' (...except when it isn't)

I need to find better sources. On most sites that discuss what an LP mastering engineer does, and how LPs are made -- these tend to be sites for commercial enterprises that either master or cut records -- there are no details of what 'intermedia', if any, are involved , i.e., if you start with a stereo mixdown tape of a single track , how many generations of tape are involved in getting it onto a lacquer master of an LP? There is rarely mention of 'production' master tapes.

And the amount of sheer anti-digital nonsense on some of these sites is appalling. E.g this one dives right into a pile of it
There is some process where the Master tape is the source for cutting the lacquer. Make a copy of that in DSD and then use the DSD as if it were a tape machine. Again one could do it other ways, but this way no edits or processing of the DSD file is needed. Seems pretty simple. Of course hearing a blow by blow description of what they do would be nice.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
There is some process where the Master tape is the source for cutting the lacquer. Make a copy of that in DSD and then use the DSD as if it were a tape machine. Again one could do it other ways, but this way no edits or processing of the DSD file is needed. Seems pretty simple. Of course hearing a blow by blow description of what they do would be nice.
This is essentially what they're doing:

Tape>DSD (editing)>Lacquer

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am not sure that the "forever preservation" of digital files is a solved problem, at least of files like the ones being discussed that very few people has access to. Sadly.
I think it is, it's called backups. A separate question is, if the owner of the files wants to use that solution.

spartaman64

I think it is, it's called backups. A separate question is, if the owner of the files wants to use that solution.
yep its not super hard to preserve digital data if you are willing to invest the resources. you can have an on site server with a raid array to store the data and then a cloud off site backup in case a fire or something happens at your site. and if you want to get really fancy you can get magnetic tape backups and put them in a climate controlled room. we are probably close for DNA digital data storage to being a viable option also.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Honestly it's an incredible album and unbelivably dynamic for the genre and i feel more people should experience this. So yeah lol.
It’s not in my Top 10, but there is no arguing that it is an album of massive historical significance in pop music. As a 54 year old it seemed to dominate the airwaves when it was released for a good year or more with hit after hit. I’m curious of your impressions of the $100 MoFi vinyl remaster? Are you able to hear differences vs other vinyl or CD?

Top Bottom