• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MMM method and website by Jean-Luc Ohl

Juhazi

Major Contributor
https://www.loudspeakers.audio/en/

"loudspeakers.audio is a very new website for online acoustics measurements that I’m working on. Some features are unique : optimised target curve, hybrid correction,… It is now in a trial (and free) phase so if anyone interested can do some tests here. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. "

blog https://www.ohl.to/ lots of info about measurements and software etc. (partly in French)

align110.png

hege

Forum Donor
Wow looks very well put together service, will definitely try out how it compares to my poor mmm+rephase experiments.

johnp98

Yeah I will certainly give this a try in the next few weeks.

johnp98

Yeah I will certainly give this a try in the next few weeks.
Seems like there is a mandatory $5 donation. Certainly if it was a proven and highly reviewed process then it would be worth a donation, but at this point it is hard to know the utility and the $5 is a barrier for me.

jlo

Thanks Juhazi for presenting my new online measurement and correction application.
It is a bit early as I'm more in a beta test phase for now, but courageous users can try ! And I'd be glad to get some feedback..

@johnp98 : there is no mandatory donation ! It is totally free at the moment. Only if you are really happy with the method and your measurements/corrections, you may donate ;)

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
As a happy beta tester, I can confirm this is more than worth à try, and that jlo provides not only a very valuable online service, but also efficient support for users.

Ata

Forum Donor
I have tried this site and I can say I am very happy with the results!

My subjective Sound Quality ladder for my main system:

1. No DRC, sub integration (Direct mode on the AVR)
2. Audyssey MultEQ XT (calibration using all the best practices and the app)
3. REW best practices (min phase filter only)
4. DIRAC v3 (FR and phase correction)
5. loudspeakers.audio (hybrid linear phase FIR 16K taps, FR and phase correction)

Last edited:

johnp98

I have tried this site and I can say I am very happy with the results!

My subjective Sound Quality ladder for my main system:

1. No DRC, sub integration (Direct mode on the AVR)
2. Audyssey XT (calibration using all the best practices and the app)
3. REW best practices (min phase filter only)
4. DIRAC v3 (FR and phase correction)
5. loudspeakers.audio (hybrid linear phase, FR and phase correction)
That is very high praise! Ok I really need to give this a try.
I lent out my UMIK to someone but will get it back in a few weeks and then I will commit to giving it a try.
Looking forward to it.

Ata

Forum Donor
That is very high praise! Ok I really need to give this a try.
I lent out my UMIK to someone but will get it back in a few weeks and then I will commit to giving it a try.
Looking forward to it.

The highest praise came from my dog, who froze when he heard the panning voice recording on my Moode player, and went to sniff and lick my LS50 meta drivers (they survived the ordeal). Needless to say, he has never done this before, even though he had heard that recording a hundred times before as I muck around with DSP based room correction. :)

Zaireeka

I plan on measuring my 8350s again with the new version of GLM, I'll also do a measurement run with JLO's website to compare the two solutions. Probably next week

Last edited:

KikoKentaurus

I don't know, I use it myself for some purposes. I've even compared it to some software like Dirac that has you do sweeps at say 9 locations and averages them. MMM will give pretty much the same results much easier.
Do you use Eq APO for applying teh correction filters? Is it easy to transfer correction curve to software format?

johnp98

I think the filters would work with EAPO. Or at least that's what I was intending on using.

I have wanted to try this system out for a while but never found the time. Likely will try it out later this week.
When it says to make a recording of the sound files is there any specific recording software / format that is recommended?
The HowTo section says:
  • Start recording and just after start playing : there is a 5s starting silence so you have time to get to the listening position
  • Record in mono .wav, .flac or .aiff, 16bits or 24 bits, 44.1 to 96kHz.
But wondering what program people would use for the recordings.

Looking forward to actually doing this!

Davide

I read the FAQ but I don't understand one thing. Is there some sort of bass management (crossover filter, time alignment to main) for the subwoofers or are these just linearized as a speakers?

Top Bottom