• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MM vs MI vs MC

levimax

Major Contributor
My question, I suppose, is; “I see all sorts of flowery words about cartridges, but how do I choose one?”
One of the most important things is making sure the cart is compatible with your tone arm. All the other things you mention won't matter much if your tone arm mass is not compatible with the carts compliance. After that flat FR and low distortion ( which seems to me to be related to tracking ability). I like MC because they are not sensitive to loading so it's easier to get consistent performance but there are plenty of good MM as well. The last thing I would take into consideration would be "flowery words".

Holmz

Major Contributor
One of the most important things is making sure the cart is compatible with your tone arm. All the other things you mention won't matter much if your tone arm mass is not compatible with the carts compliance. After that flat FR and low distortion ( which seems to me to be related to tracking ability). I like MC because they are not sensitive to loading so it's easier to get consistent performance but there are plenty of good MM as well. The last thing I would take into consideration would be "flowery words".

The tone arm is an SAEC WE317 arm, and there is a heavy counterweight for use with 20.5 to 35 gram+ (headshell + cart).
The standard counterweight is 14.5 to 20.5 grams.

I acquired a Korf headshell and another one (which I forget at the moment.)
It is 13 grams: http://korfaudio.com/

They have a calculator http://korfaudio.com/calculator
However I could not find the effective mass of the tonearm.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Measurements from the Audio Technica Studio Reference series.
AT 1001 - Denon DP-30L II 1.png

AT 3003 - Denon DP-30L II 1.png

AT 8008 - Denon DP-30L II 1.png

As with all my graphs, the dip at 5kHz and bumps between 14-18kHz are the test record, when reading smooth out and lower the latter by about 1 dB.

Consistent sound throughout the line. Obviously the styli and distortion are the differences.

Last edited:
F

freemansteve

I have nothing to add on the subject of running small hard stones in grooves in vinyl, feeding various mechanical layouts to create a signal - and no knowledge of it all.

But indulge me with a legit. question:

When I was younger, there was the concept of tracking the groove on an LP with a laser, which I reckoned to be pretty neat and far less destructive for the vinyl.... Whatever happened to that idea? Was it tried and proven to be terrible? Was the tech of the day not up to the job? Was it too expensive back then?

Maybe this is being done today, but I haven't seen it - wanna educate me?

JP

Major Contributor
I have nothing to add on the subject of running small hard stones in grooves in vinyl, feeding various mechanical layouts to create a signal - and no knowledge of it all.

But indulge me with a legit. question:

When I was younger, there was the concept of tracking the groove on an LP with a laser, which I reckoned to be pretty neat and far less destructive for the vinyl.... Whatever happened to that idea? Was it tried and proven to be terrible? Was the tech of the day not up to the job? Was it too expensive back then?

Maybe this is being done today, but I haven't seen it - wanna educate me?

ELP. Still around. Commonly cited issue is that the laser can't tell the difference between groove and debris. They're also a bit pricey. Almost picked a used one up once, but I've enough spinning junk around here.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Taking this one step further. With todays cameras, shouldn't I be able to "rip" a vinyl just by taking a picture and decoding the sound in software? Software-definded vinyl? Why even play it with the time constraint that the recording time is identical to the playback time. Just take a picture and you're done.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Taking this one step further. With todays cameras, shouldn't I be able to "rip" a vinyl just by taking a picture and decoding the sound in software? Software-definded vinyl? Why even play it with the time constraint that the recording time is identical to the playback time. Just take a picture and you're done.
It can be done, although with normal optical scanners/imagine in very low quality, see https://ofersp.github.io/digital_needle
For better results different methods need to be used, see also http://irene.lbl.gov/ and https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/vinyl-scanner.165078/#post-2154272

dlaloum

Major Contributor

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you sure about the bump between 14-18khz being test record related?

I am basing this on my first set of measurements, for which I compared multiple CBS records. Having a V15 V-MR doesn't hurt either ;).

(Having multiple V15 V-MRs that show the same behavior also doesn't hurt ;);))

VN5MR (1) - DUO - 1.png
SHURE V15 V-MR 1 - DUO - 1.png

VN5MR (3) - DENON DP-35F - CHINOOK 1.png

That's easy to determine by running the record at a different speed.

This is a good idea, thank you. I'll try this out during the weekend to double check.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's easy to determine by running the record at a different speed.
This is one of those statements I instantly understand but hadn't considered. Probably the best original thing I have read online all week. Simple solution to part of the test record quality problem. I knew we kept ypu around for a reason. Huzzah!

JP

Major Contributor
Critical step with test records that have square waves too.

Newman

Major Contributor
These FR charts that we are seeing posted to this thread....what is the test signal? Some kind of a sweep tone?

Newman

Major Contributor
Thanks, the reason I ask is because I understand that a sweep tone test is too easy and gives an unrealistically good FR. Music is more wideband.

A wideband tone FR will give an FR measurement more representative of complex music with numerous instruments playing together.

Unfortunately they are not all that similar, eg

1647585572748.png

1647585681703.png

The top is the spot frequency FR, which would be much like a sweep tone FR, and the bottom is a wideband tone FR of the same cartridge (Rega Exact).

It would be easy to get cocky about the flat response of cartridges using the sweep tone, when in fact they are not doing so well at all with music.

The really ugly reality, that the discrepancy between the above two graphs tells us, is that the FR of a cartridge is chaotically jumping up and down as the music varies from simpler to more complex. Ugh!

cheers

JP

Major Contributor
The really ugly reality, that the discrepancy between the above two graphs tells us, is that the FR of a cartridge is chaotically jumping up and down as the music varies from simpler to more complex. Ugh!
And/or it tells you something about test records.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
All the cartridges that shipped with measured specs, had their specs measured using sweeps...

Pink noise tracks are a more representative test... but there have been concerns about the reliability of some pink noise tracks

I have not been able to match the sweep tests using a pink noise track. - The very best carts get close...

Top Bottom