• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MM cartridges that deal with static well?

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not even really sure that this is a thing, but are there some designs of MM, preferably P-Mount, cartridges that handle static electricity better than others? Humidity today is currently at 3% and the up-tick in pops and clicks is noticeable.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How about something with a built in brush like the Shure M97xE (unfortunately out of production but imagine there are others, but it could just be my imagination otoh). Never used a p-mount myself....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are anti-static sprays for ESD discharging. They work well. Could treat the tonearm, the body and maybe the top cover depending on if it is OK with that plastic they use. One of the major benefits of linear tracking is the linear tracking takes the operator out of the process. That means the parameters of the needle alignment and other stuff can't be changed with a thick mat or a heavy head shell anti-static brush.

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about something with a built in brush like the Shure M97xE (unfortunately out of production but imagine there are others, but it could just be my imagination otoh). Never used a p-mount myself....
I'll check it out and see if I can find others. I looked into one of those grounded brushes that tracks your record, but they are too tall for for my cover (and I need the cover, what with the dust and cat hair).

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's probably not static electricity. A static discharge is going to be a very-loud pop and then it won't happen again until the charge builds-up again.

Usually a click or pop is a defect or damage and it happens in the same place every time you play.

The "static noise" is probably regular vinyl surface noise or maybe dust. I think the biggest problem with static is that it attracts dust. But honestly, I never noticed an improvement after cleaning.

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would not have not have considered the lid, but lifting it was causing crackling in my speakers!. I have Anti-static spray designed for acrylic. Are there any sprays in particular you recommend?
There are anti-static sprays for ESD discharging. They work well. Could treat the tonearm, the body and maybe the top cover depending on if it is OK with that plastic they use. One of the major benefits of linear tracking is the linear tracking takes the operator out of the process. That means the parameters of the needle alignment and other stuff can't be changed with a thick mat or a heavy head shell anti-static brush.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I've heard that fabric softener spray works, but you probably don't want to spray it anywhere near your turntable. I heard of it being used to spray the carpet near the turntable, but I've never tried this. Being in the high desert I have static problems too. A Milty Zerostat gun seems to help. I have a grounded record brush but that seems to do nothing that I can tell. Even using the Zerostat, when I lift the disc off the turntable after a play, I can hear static discharge.

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's probably not static electricity. A static discharge is going to be a very-loud pop and then it won't happen again until the charge builds-up again.

Usually a click or pop is a defect or damage and it happens in the same place every time you play.

The "static noise" is probably regular vinyl surface noise or maybe dust. I think the biggest problem with static is that it attracts dust. But honestly, I never noticed an improvement after cleaning.
I'm pretty sure most of it is static, the reason being it is not happening in the same time every time. It varies. In addition , I can recreate the crackling sound by grounding myself to the deck while using an anti-static brush to clean the LP. I get a pop when the brush leaves the surface of the LP. I also get crackling over the speakers (just noticed this) lifting the cover. I just sprayed the tone arm and cover with anti-static spray, and the amount has dropped noticeably. I don't normally have issues with these types of crackles and pops, but like I said, humidity dropped to 3% today.

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've heard that fabric softener spray works, but you probably don't want to spray it anywhere near your turntable. I heard of it being used to spray the carpet near the turntable, but I've never tried this. Being in the high desert I have static problems too. A Milty Zerostat gun seems to help.
I've been looking at the Milty. I'll probably get one. Yep, while I love living here (ABQ), the high desert does cause some issues. Weirdly, it is really just the last week (and particularly today) that static seemed to be a real issue.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did use a zerostat back in the day, it worked somewhat.....

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, does anyone know if different types of vinyl hold static differently. I lifted the Charlatans UK vs the Chemical brothers, a clear gold LP, and could feel the electrical field on it (hairs on my hands and arms stood up).

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK. After spraying and cleaning the lid and tone arm with Novus Plastic Clean & Shine (1), they crackling and pops are back to really good levels. I'll do the deck after I'm done listening tonight and see if that helps further. Thanks all!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, does anyone know if different types of vinyl hold static differently. I lifted the Charlatans UK vs the Chemical brothers, a clear gold LP, and could feel the electrical field on it (hairs on my hands and arms stood up).
There are specialized ESD coatings for the floor, walls, shoes, lab coats and even ESD skin care products too. So if you want to treat your floor and furniture that might help too.

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm keeping my eyes out for a linear tracker at estate sales and garage sales. I really like the idea of them. an SL-10 would be a dream. SL-M3 pure fantasy. But every once in a while I really score at estate sales.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How dry is it in your house? Sometimes something as simple as a humidifier can help.....

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How dry is it in your house? Sometimes something as simple as a humidifier can help.....
We have a swamp cooler (evaporative cooling), so that keeps it a bit more humid than outdoors. I should probably consider a humidifier for my office. But really, 3% is low even for us Norteños of the Chihuahuan desert.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I'm keeping my eyes out for a linear tracker at estate sales and garage sales. I really like the idea of them. an SL-10 would be a dream. SL-M3 pure fantasy. But every once in a while I really score at estate sales.
I had the original Rabco arm. It had two problems; whenever the motor started to nudge the arm along the track, it could be clearly heard in the audio, and the other problem is that if the battery which powers the arm went weak or flat, the arm ceased to track - a very bad outcome. :mad:

OP
IPunchCholla

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the original Rabco arm. It had two problems; whenever the motor started to nudge the arm along the track, it could be clearly heard in the audio, and the other problem is that if the battery which powers the arm went weak or flat, the arm ceased to track - a very bad outcome. :mad:
Neither of those things sound very good!

Top Bottom