• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MM capacitive loading with stock Technics SL-1200GR or SL-1500C

cgallery

They sure can. And no amount of verifiable data to narrow those broad brush strokes should ever stop them.

Broad brush strokes is an improvement, you were painting with a roller when I arrived.

JP

Major Contributor
Results: consistent, repeatable frequency response within the limits of the tools used - in most cases the end result will be within +/- 1 to 2 db up to 15kHz... which is far better than can be achieved with most cartridges and the MM loading... (without getting fancy with measurement and calculations).

My original point was that there is an error that is meaningful, and secondly the data indicates the average error likely ~2.5dB at 8kHz. Depending on which side of tolerances my "flat"cartridge falls on it could be 1.5dB or 3.5dB, but that still averages out to 2.5dB, and even on the inside case that's rather audible.

I don't really care about the method specifically, it's the handwaving that's the issue. If you've verifiable data that's counter to what I've provided please share it.

Broad brush strokes is an improvement, you were painting with a roller when I arrived.

Specific and verifiable data = roller.
"The CBS records are off as well. The records are really all off." = ...specificity?

I'm beginning to see the root of the communication issues.

cgallery

Specific and verifiable data = roller.
"The CBS records are off as well. The records are really all off." = ...specificity?

I'm beginning to see the root of the communication issues.

Those two samples from JH don't even match one another.

JP

Major Contributor

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
He tested two STR-100's, they are dissimilar, varying by as much as 1db.
Here are 5 CBS records. Difference is 1/10th of a dB from 1-10k. We already know above 10k is an issue but any reasonable person can still use it.

VN5MR (3) - Denon DP-35F - CBS (1) 1.png
VN5MR (3) - Denon DP-35F - CBS (2) 1.png
VN5MR (3) - Denon DP-35F - CBS (3) 1.png
VN5MR (3) - Denon DP-35F - CBS (4) 1.png
VN5MR (3) - Denon DP-35F - CBS (5) 1.png

VN5MR (3) - Denon DP-35F - CBS (1) 2.png
VN5MR (3) - Denon DP-35F - CBS (2) 2.png
VN5MR (3) - Denon DP-35F - CBS (3) 2.png
VN5MR (3) - Denon DP-35F - CBS (4) 2.png
VN5MR (3) - Denon DP-35F - CBS (5) 2.png

cgallery

Thanks but all we know is you have five that closely track, and he had two that didn't.

JP

Major Contributor
He tested two STR-100's, they are dissimilar, varying by as much as 1db.

I've ~45 copies of the STR 100, but I don't believe I have any of the old version. It wouldn't be entirely surprising were the difference real, but as I see at least one mistake in the plots and we've an example of another two that should agree far better than what his measurements show, there's no way to know. Without being able to measure the two versions myself it's a big ::shrug::.

Tedkaz

I agree - it's not cheap... but then a good phono pre isn't cheap either....
There are more economical ways to do it, there are other software alternatives.... but I don't think I have seen a "turnkey" solution at a reasonable price.

You need a really good ADC... every bit of dynamic range you can get is important.... and they don't come cheap either.
My Mytek ADC cost me circa $1000 about 10 years ago ... and then there is software.

Yes RME is expensive, but it isn't unreasonable for what you get.

In theory, the necessary functionality could be rolled into the Parks Audio Puffin phono stage.... which at around $500 could be a bargain.... but it ain't there... It has the EQ capabilities, but no analysis capability linked to it...

Perhaps if enough people ask for such a feature?
It’s the ultimate Swiss Army knife for Audio, and honestly a steal at that price IMHO.

levimax

Major Contributor
It’s the ultimate Swiss Army knife for Audio, and honestly a steal at that price IMHO.
The RME is a very nice item but with a $175 Scarlet ADC or similar and free software on a PC you can accomplish the same things and more.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The RME is a very nice item but with a $175 Scarlet ADC or similar and free software on a PC you can accomplish the same things and more.
Typically takes a lot more time and effort to get there that way.... (I know cos that's how I did it 10 years ago...)

levimax

Major Contributor
Typically takes a lot more time and effort to get there that way.... (I know cos that's how I did it 10 years ago...)
No argument from me as I am cheap and went the ADC and free software route which takes time and effort with no support when you get stuck. Looking at the RME manual I am sure it is easier but there still is a lot to learn and not plug and play.

Top Bottom