• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MK LCR 25 (with sub) measurement showing odd result

lanion

Here is a measurement I just took of and M&K LCR 25 speaker (with sub) that clearly has issues, but I'm not sure what would cause such strange behavior at 4.5khz. Is this what a partially broken tweeter looks like? Or is this what a damaged crossover looks like?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for an issue like this, but it is measurement related!
mklcr25.jpg

Ivanovich

Forum Donor
On a regular speaker I’d say it could be the polarity on the tweeter is just reversed, putting it out of phase with the woofer. Try reversing the leads in the tweeter. Do they both measure the same?

Because if this is that funky dipole surround speaker, with full range speakers on the sides and not meant for direct sound, it might be a normal artifact from that specific mic location. How are you micing it up, near field or far? It may be they are normal phase cancellations from the particular driver configuration they have that is occurring at that particular mic position.

I’d try measuring the other speaker and if they’re the same, I’d measure at different angles and at the listening position to see if it’s better there.
GL!

Last edited:
OP
L

lanion

I have two of these speakers, and the other one measures as a normal two-way speaker. An out of phase tweeter could explain the measurement, but I have no clue how that would have happened -- but I did buy it used. Maybe some piece of the crossover is burnt out (I'm not sure what that would look like). I'll open it up and do some tests.

Top Bottom