• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mixing Brands with Pre-Amp and Amp

this is me

Looking at either a Luxman M-10x amp with the matching Luxman C-900U pre or two M-10x amps running in mono and hooking them up with my NAD M17 as the pre. I do like my M17 because most of my music comes from Tidal through the built in bluesound card on it. I also like that I can allocate the fund toward another M-10x and run them in mono. Is it better to get the amp or the matching preamp?
The speakers will be the Kef Blade One Meta. I ordered a pair a month ago and was told it’ll take 6 months. I audition a couple amps and like the Luxman the best.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
About the only specification I can think of for mixing pre and amp would be the output voltage of the pre vs the input voltage for the amp.

The pre should be able to meet or exceed the input sensitivity voltage for the amplifier.

The rest would be features and "feel good" assuming otherwise competent performance.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Line level audio signal are pretty-well standardized but nothing is calibrated and they do vary. But you're using a volume control anyway. Sometimes it's a problem, but rarely, so it's usually OK to mix-and-match. Of course if you want balanced connections it's best if they both have them. (You don't need balanced connections unless you've got ground-loop hum.)

I audition a couple amps and like the Luxman the best.
I don't trust a vague statement like that! :p You didn't say, "it has more bass" (which it shouldn't) or "it has less noise" (which it might). There are often noise differences and of course power differences. Frequency response and distortion are usually better than human hearing for ANY modern solid-state amp, unless it's over-driven into distortion.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
About the only specification I can think of for mixing pre and amp would be the output voltage of the pre vs the input voltage for the amp.

The pre should be able to meet or exceed the input sensitivity voltage for the amplifier.

The rest would be features and "feel good" assuming otherwise competent performance.
Also, if you can find specs (or measure) the preamp and amp output/input impedance respectively. The input impedance should ideally be 10x preamp output impedance or more to ensure there is no bass roll-off, but all is still dependent on circuit design too. Mx10 input impedance is 25-50k from Stereophile measurements so should be fine for all preamps. Sensitivity is 1.24V for 150W. NAD m17 has 2V nominal out but up to 8V max so that is fine to drive anything as well. So you won't have a problem with either preamp choice.

OP
T

this is me

Line level audio signal are pretty-well standardized but nothing is calibrated and they do vary. But you're using a volume control anyway. Sometimes it's a problem, but rarely, so it's usually OK to mix-and-match. Of course if you want balanced connections it's best if they both have them. (You don't need balanced connections unless you've got ground-loop hum.)

I don't trust a vague statement like that! :p You didn't say, "it has more bass" (which it shouldn't) or "it has less noise" (which it might). There are often noise differences and of course power differences. Frequency response and distortion are usually better than human hearing for ANY modern solid-state amp, unless it's over-driven into distortion.
Sorry for the vague statement. I don’t really know my audio terms. After putting a deposit on the speakers, I went back to the dealer twice to try the speakers with different amps option. Hegel 590, Michi X5, M33(I contacted NAD and they don’t recommend their amps to be hooked up with any speakers that may dipped to less than 4ohms. Weird, since they have speced the Purifi to 2ohms). Ultimately, I like the sound and maybe bias by the look of the Luxman amps. I could be happy with either 595ASE or 509X but the M-10x sounded better both on the lower end and upper end.
The M-10x will likely be my end-game amps hence my desire of getting two and use what I have now as a Pre-amp. I running NAD M17/M27 as a 5 channel HT with paradigm prestige line speakers.

OP
T

this is me

Also, if you can find specs (or measure) the preamp and amp output/input impedance respectively. The input impedance should ideally be 10x preamp output impedance or more to ensure there is no bass roll-off, but all is still dependent on circuit design too. Mx10 input impedance is 25-50k from Stereophile measurements so should be fine for all preamps. Sensitivity is 1.24V for 150W. NAD m17 has 2V nominal out but up to 8V max so that is fine to drive anything as well. So you won't have a problem with either preamp choice.
Thanks for the details. I have downloaded the M-10X manual and will look at the M17/27 manual.

nsfgp

Congrats ... what a lucky retailer I must say :) Wish I could listen to such a system; must be awesome.

Top Bottom