• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mitigating subjective bias to measure & reproduce audio.

Bongoyep

A “back of the envelope” method to consider if the aim is to measure a headphones neutrality. E.g., not over emphasizing any aspect of the frequencies response, not adding a signifiant amount of distortion. The methods to measure & reproduce (synthesize) this less cognitively biased method already exist, the scientific method.

As an example I infer the reader to the measurement of temperature. “Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature where nothing could be colder and no heat energy remains in a substance. “ https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/absolute_zero.htm

Or the measurement of timing using the benchmark of atoms.
https://www.timeanddate.com/time/international-atomic-time.html

Therefore, a temperature measuring device, e.g., thermometer can be calibrated for accuracy of temperature. This method mitigates the human cognitive bias effect of, to paraphrase, “I will always trust my own subjective sense of touch to get a more accurate temperature reading”. As it can be calculated why an accurate thermometer is more precise than human subjective experience & demonstrated using experiment to show a thermometer is more accurate than the human sense of touch for the measurement of objective temperature. Of course, devices that produce temperature don’t tend to cause such a fuss compared to headphones, due to behavioural psychological traits that are beyond the scope of this brief example. And many humans will simply not be able to accept being taken out of the “what’s the most accurate audio production” equation. However, they are missing out on the aim (point).

The question is, for those that really are interested in being able to develop a more accurate system to measure headphones audio accuracy, what can a headphones audio quality be calibrated against?. We’d need to use the physics of sound to produce an accurate audio measuring device to measure an objects sound, just as a calibrated thermometer can comparably accurately (compared to human touch) measure temperature. e.g., A microphone that measures (records),just for an example, a drum (using physics to quantify the measurements) . Once this is achieved, we have, to the best of our current understanding, an accurate benchmark to test any audio production devices sound reproduction accuracy. Of course taking into consideration the relevant limitations (acoustic finger print) of the audio device. However, we can then develop headphones & measure them using the same calibrated microphone.

The above is just a very brief outline & I’m sure mathematicians, physicists & audio engineers could provide more details.

Of course some would say, but that method does not take into account the many variables of human hearing. Yep, and that’s the whole point of the scientific methods, i.e., to remove human bias when trying to analyze objective reality. i.e., In general, science is about discovering objective reality, not trying to do the impossible & make objective reality conform to human individual & highly variable subjective experience (even though a less calibrated subjective experience believes that's possible). The physics of objective sound, e.g., the bang of a drum is also not taking human subjective perception into consideration (before it enters our ears). Therefore the human variable is actually irrelevant if we want to have a high degree of confidence that headphone “X” is producing more accurate “real world” audio . E.g., Subjectively we’d all hear (perceive environmental information) the accurate “X” headphone differently (within the subjective variance of our species subjective perception), just as we hear the bang of a drum differently ( environmental\ecological objective sounds differently). But at least we’d be more confident that the “neutral headphone” was producing the sound of the drum more accurately, & then our ears (biology) would analyze that sound using our own subjective experience. i.e., a more natural sounding headphone. Of course there are many acoustic variables to consider when recording the bang of a drum, e.g., environment the drum is in, location to the recording device. However, due to the reason why we hear, i.e., evolutionary psychological functional adaptions, the objective audio should be a sound from our natural environment as we are already more adapted to hear those sounds more accurately.

Of course the above method will not be a “cash cow” in a consumerist driven market place, in the context of different headphone manufactures maintaining the “the next product is better than the last” marketing strategy & headphone manufactures competing with one another for “the best headphone ever” strategy. Maybe they could, ultimately, do us all a favour & compete to produce the headphones with the “X sound signature” using more ecologically sustainable manufacturing methods.

Fortunately headphone manufacturers don’t tend to sell scientific instruments :wink: as marketing gimmicks and spin (lies if it’s intentional). i.e., science needs accurate instruments. Though personal bias has significantly corrupted the publics perception of the sciences that are related to anthropogenic climate change. e.g., ecolology, climatology. Thanks “humanity as usual” , you’ll make losers of us all if your not regulated to behave more ecologically sustainably. i.e., regulate yourselves for the good of yourselves.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I have a secret weapon to remove bias. My wife. She does not care what it looks like, has no stake in how hard I worked on it. no clue what it cost. Just unbelievable sensitivity to midrange harmonic distortion. I can set things up, not even being perfect with levels and all the other "standard" precautions. Absolute consistency. no, no, no, yes, no, no. It was with her help for testing ( almost think I heard some of what she does) and the guidance of John Curl I was able to finally build both speakers and amplifiers that passed her review.

We wil always have the issue of differences in hearing and what our brains manipulate to tell us what we hear is real or not. One might dismiss hearing differences as one woudl hear the same differences with the original sound, but it is that glob of grey matter that is the variable.

In some ways, headphones are hard as they are bypassing the outer ear which provides the filtering and some imaging information to you. Without the outer ear, you could not tell if a sound was coming from directly in front of you or directly behind you. My dad described a test they had in flight school using headphones and a moving light to show why you can't trust your senses, but need to trust the gauges. With headphones, you thought the sound came from the light as it rotated above your head to behind even though the sound did not change.

I just slap on the old Grado's and don't worry about it.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have a secret weapon to remove bias. My wife.

It does not. Clever Hans.

The "wife who doesn't care about audio," along with the "in the next room" or "in the kitchen" variants, has been around for at least the past 40 years. :D

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just to take the 'bang of the drum' into consideration.

When such a bang is recorded in the studio it is captured with one mic which is not in the same place as your ear would be.
Then the drum 'track' will be compressed and other stuff is done to it in the studio to give it the appearance of the sound of a drum being hit.
It is monitored and mixed using monitors, sound engineers and other folks that need/want to have an opinion.

The at your home that 'image' of the drum hit is made audible through speakers in a room that bring their own colorations.
When played loud enough the lowest frequencies are also 'detected' by our body and this sensation is combined with what the ears do.

When using headphones the 'physical' input is not there. Only the ears and the 'mess' a headphone makes of it.
And even when the headphone would be perfect (doesn't exist anyway) you would still be lacking the physical input of the body so the same sensation can never be had anyway. Sure you can EQ it so you get a different sound that is perhaps 'compensating' for the missing physical input.

But no matter how one twists and turns it the reproduction of the drum hit that once was will not be replicated faithfully.

It is amazing that well made recordings sound good and believable on stereo equipment anyway.
Good recording practices, mixing and mastering is where this depends on.
Consider stereo reproduction a glimpse of what once was recorded. Enjoy the glimpse anyway you want. Faithful to the product, altered in ways we prefer, who cares as long as we can enjoy it.

On the measurement part... Amir is going to research this soon. Folks like Olive, Welti and quite a few others have been studying this art of measurements and linking it to perceptions for decades already. It is still kind of in its infancy though but we learn every day.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
It does not. Clever Hans.

The "wife who doesn't care about audio," along with the "in the next room" or "in the kitchen" variants, has been around for at least the past 40 years. :D
Actually she cares a lot which is why it matters. Super sensitive to distortion in the 4K range, of primary cause, tweeter breakup causing IM which exhibits itself as just plain old HD in the critical range. Once I was able to measure what she was describing, turns out, she was always correct. This let me build speakers she could tolerate and change to an amp with transient miller compensation. Once the improvement in tweeters, the amp change was clearly audible.* When using cheaper tweeters, I had to use an amp with dominant pole filtering to not excite the tweeter breakup as easily. End result, I can play my Harry James at club levels and she does not run from the room.

FWIW, the only commercial speakers she could tolerate were 2Ce's and big Martin Logans. My Seas and Seas/Dayton system pass her judgement. Many before them did not. I could think I heard some of it on one of my Julian Bream records as the strings sounded just slightly metallic. The audience background on the beginning of Clapton Unplugged can sound even harsher than it should. Joan Baez can sound off is the system is not right on. I can just barely convince myself I am hearing the differences when she can walk in and say yes/no absolutely reliably.

Look, I am an engineering type. I like numbers. I like objective testing. But I am also old enough to accept things that can be reliably demonstrated even when I do not have a numeric correlation.

I also laugh at some of the ultra purist equipment fans knowing how many 741 op amps are still lurking in studios. :D

* going from Rotel and POOGED Haflers to Parasounds and eventually my own MOSFET amp which I still use.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Actually she cares a lot which is why it matters.

Double blind is a critical listening control that you need to give any of this even a smidgen of credibility. Even if it's your wife- especially if it's your wife.

Top Bottom