• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm still basking in the afterglow of being on with my DSP audio mentor, @mitchco this past Saturday!

Although I've done my best to employ what he has taught me through his book and other writing and our email exchanges, I'm looking forward to working with him directly over the next week or two to learn more and nudge the sound of my room up a notch or two.

His special this month is a tremendous value.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
I too will highly recommend his DSP services. He presented a number of filters for me until I finally settled on one - it was an iterative and very educational process. He's very patient and happy to answer any and all questions (including all my stupid ones!). I ended up with a roll off at 2khz and a slight bass boost below 100 hz. A completely flat curve sounded too bright and a bit bass light for me.

Its an amazing difference between using and not using DSP.

G

Thanks Gerry! It was my pleasure working with you. You have excellent listening skills and could clearly identify issues and tonal differences. That made it easier for me to zero in on your preference. Happy listening!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Did not know how good I had it
Ain't that the truth. Where'd that first 70 years go ????
Sometimes I feel like I went to bed just after I turned 40, then woke up the next day only to find my grandfather in the mirror that morning. LOL

kthulhutu

Just had a wonderful day of being extremely lazy and listening to music.
Of course, I've just received state-of-the-art FIR filters from Mitch, I didn't intend for my listening session to span the whole day but they were just that good.

I was using GLM to calibrate my 2 Genelec 8341s and 1 7360A for months so I wasn't expecting the difference to be so drastic. Still, once Mitch showed me the simulated results with a practically textbook perfect corrected frequency and step response I knew I was in for a surprise.

Utterly realistic phantom center, crazy imaging with some instruments popping out at me and beautiful bass better than I've heard from any headphones. There's no denying the service will cost you but considering you get up to 6 filters out of it, a video showing you how to create the filters for yourself (and dare I say your friends!) and the pleasure of talking with Mitch I cannot help but strongly recommend the service.

I will say it's best to get your positioning and room acoustics sorted first to get the most value out of the offering.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Still, once Mitch showed me the simulated results with a practically textbook perfect corrected frequency and step response I knew I was in for a surprise.
Mitch's software and calibration system really is first class.
I recently talked to him and tried to get him to come down for the Tampa Bay Audio Show in Feb. I even offered him free lodging etc; at my place. I was thinking that then as long as he was here, (hint, hint,) I might pick his brain a bit, etc. No luck. :( LOL
Glad to hear your pleased with his alignment, enjoy.

Music1969

Major Contributor
One of the reasons I am able to achieve a flatter response is due to being an active 3 way system. I can individually tailor the output level to each driver to better match the end target, so less correction is applied.
Hi - here do you mean individually tailoring output level to each driver in the analogue domain?

So your separate amps have volume controls that you adjust, to get all drivers closer in level, before starting the correction ?

Top Bottom