• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
@mitchco Mitch Barnett recently launched his Accurate Sound Calibration Service. Mitch has been a great teacher to many. Mitch is a DSP, low frequency optimization and active loudspeaker enthusiast and evangelist. Mitch has written extensively on this topic which includes a complete guide in book format. For many years, Mitch has helped me with various technical questions on both hardware and different software like REW, Acourate and Audiolense. I believe Mitch will help many more folks in the future. Mitch's service is applicable to anyone in search of the best possible playback either at home or in the professional environment.

https://accuratesound.ca/

Michael Lowe

maty

Major Contributor
https://accuratesound.ca/testimonials

-> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...m2-audiolense-digital-crossovers-w-subs.2369/

Michael Lowe JBL M2 active system with 4 -0003.png

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
One of the things I have noticed from reading @mitchco 's posts is he is able to discuss technical topics in a manner that is understandable to people without technical backgrounds.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
One of the things I have noticed from reading @mitchco 's posts is he is able to discuss technical topics in a manner that is understandable to people without technical backgrounds.

Maybe.

I demonstrated the stereo to a nice lady from Louisiana, asked her what she thought, she said "I don't listen intellectually".

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Good deal. Mitch, how does the process work? You remotely login and make measurements/corrections?

If your place is nice enough, he can just move right in for as long as it takes...

"How's it coming Mitch?"
"Well, I'm still burning in the cables... Sequentially..."

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Maybe.

I demonstrated the stereo to a nice lady from Louisiana, asked her what she thought, she said "I don't listen intellectually".

LOL. I didn't mean complete dummies.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Good deal. Mitch, how does the process work? You remotely login and make measurements/corrections?

Thanks Amir. Yes, that is one way. Simple step by step procedures for folks that are familiar with REW is another. Downloadable sweep files so that music players with existing digital processing can play the file while REW waits... Import existing impulse files... There is always a way!

Same goes for the DSP software measurements/corrections. First step is get some impulses to look at and gain an understanding of loudspeakers/room setup and desired outcome.

labdoc

@mitchco Great news about your Accurate Sound Calibration Service. Your book, "Accurate Sound Reproduction Using DSP", allowed me to get started with Acourate from Audiovero.de. I look forward to accessing your new service for further improvements in my listening room.

Hephaestus

This is great news! Thanks to Mitch´s posts at Audiophilestyle I found Acourate and got very pleasing results with it - even though I have quirky studio monitors :)
Hope that many customers will find the service.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whoa, I thought @mitchco was a highly knowledgeable enthusiast and reviewer. I had no idea that he wrote the book on DSP for sound reproduction.

After I treat my room (having followed some generalized guidance very graciously provided by Mitch), I may avail myself of Mitch's DSP service if I can properly use the required DSP tools with BACCH4Mac.'

And my apologies to Mitch if I seemed to be seeking free advice when he (justifiably) offers such advice as a business. I hate it when people do that to me!

Last edited:

Trdat

Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. Yes, that is one way. Simple step by step procedures for folks that are familiar with REW is another.

Same goes for the DSP software measurements/corrections. First step is get some impulses to look at and gain an understanding of loudspeakers.

I was under impression you had moved on from Accurate onto Audiolense? That's what I gathered from reading all your posts and articles..

Anyway, is your service applicable to Audiolense as well?

mitchco

Audio Company
Hello @Trdat Both Acourate and Audiolense produce excellent results. The main differences are workflow related. Acourate is an audio toolbox with many, many functions which allows you to do pretty much anything you want. It requires some real DSP knowledge to use those functions, but the main ones Uli has made it easy to use by grouping the functions in Macros. If you want to time align drivers, both work very well, but in Acourate it is a manual process whereas in Audiolense the time alignment function is automatic. But perhaps you want to linearize each driver in the nearfield, which Acourate can do, but more difficult with Audiolense.

So it depends on what you are trying to accomplish and how much manual effort one want's to undertake. Both produce excellent filters.

Hope that helps.

Trdat

Forum Donor
Hello @Trdat Both Acourate and Audiolense produce excellent results. The main differences are workflow related. Acourate is an audio toolbox with many, many functions which allows you to do pretty much anything you want.

Hello Mitch,

Let's sit bent and talk straight, you are the King of DSP:cool: . I for one know a lot about your work and as I have mentioned before I have read your Ebook.

And yes the above helps thank you, I am aware Accourate is more hands on hence why I chose Audiolense.

With Audiolense's automotive features how much more can we get out if we manually put in the hard yards or if you offer your service? Or is the hard yards specific to Accourate? Especially when us "DIY'ers have some basic knowledge but not "real" knowledge of DSP like you said. I say this so we can become more aware of your service and promote it for you on the various forums or audio industry in general and understand how you might be able to help us "forum participants" types who might also benefit from your service.

I have read your Ebook on Accourate, it seems it doesn't truly transfer, it gives us a background but not enough to understand how we can use Audiolense manually. Are you planning to write a book on Audiolense? Or do you think this is an amatuer thing and if we delve deeper we would be able to transfer the Accourate knowledge to Audiolense?

Regards

Because Audiolense is more automatic in nature is that the reason your working with Acourate in order to get the best out of ones system?

Due Audiolenses automotive features, does that leave any room to move to improve the what Audilense already does for you if the likes of you does manually undertake the work?

Hope that helps.

mitchco

Audio Company
Hi @Trdat

Most top DSP packages for so called Digital Room Correction more or less work the same way. Take a measurement, extract the minimum phase response, correct the amplitude (i.e. frequency response), which also corrects the phase and then independently apply an excess phase correction that is left over from the room, loudspeaker crossovers, etc. This is covered in my book and the concepts and most of the implementation is transferable and applicable to other DRC software packages.

It simply boils down to what is one is trying to accomplish and then choosing the right tool for the job. Some folks just want basic room correction and therefore either product will do. If you are a speaker designer, and want to linearize each driver in the near field, then Acourate may be the easier path. If you want to time align drivers, Audiolense makes is easier and on it goes as every scenario is different. It is only through experience and experimentation, along with some DSP knowledge (e.g. understanding how frequency dependant windowing works for example) that allows one to choose the right tool(s) for the job. I have been using these DSP tools daily since 2011.

Wrt to Audiolense, I have written two articles on its use here and here. Yes, I plan to add that plus other DSP software, like Room Shaper, to the next edition of my book, but currently don't have a time line.

Kind regards,
Mitch

Trdat

Forum Donor
Mitch,

Very interesting to know more about DSP, I don't know much about Acourate, but its interesting you mention that if your designing speakers then Acourate is an easier path. I suppose I can use both Acourate and Audiolense interchangeably, I presume that is what you do. Plus, I am sure that Audiolense can give descent results as well.

I am aiming to embark on a "Rockn Roll audiophile sound system similar to yours, using Audiolense and bypassing the passive crossovers. I am considering the Visaton 890 MK3 but will probably use one 15 inch instead of the dual 10 inches that is part of the kit. (Also have to DIY the exponential horn) its ridiculously expensive or just use a typical horn....

I have read your article on designing a a Rock and Roll Audiophile sound system and trying to understand more about the chest thump of a 15 inch.

Just curious what the main difference will be between dual 10'' or a single 15 '' that you recommend? The 15 inch will definitely be cheaper just that if for some reason has its merits I can keep the original design.

Top Bottom