• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mistakenly listening to 2 audio tracks at the same time and enjoying it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the PC for music listening. Sometimes I have lots of Youtube windows opened and mistakenly there are 2 or 3 songs playing and it actually seems pretty good sounding for a couple of minutes till I clue in something is amiss. Really makes one wonder about distortion and what is perceivable.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Spontaneous DJ.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Full track listing for Uneasy Listening:

'Rush, Beastie Boys & Kurtis Blow - Tom Sawyer/The New Style/Paul Revere/If I Ruled The World' is a strange one (speaking as someone who's first live concert was Rush's Countdown tour in Wembley Arena at the age of 10).
Z-Trip's mix is classic.

There're also these (my bias, of course): https://www.discogs.com/lists/DJ-Mixes/279222

PaulD

I use the PC for music listening. Sometimes I have lots of Youtube windows opened and mistakenly there are 2 or 3 songs playing and it actually seems pretty good sounding for a couple of minutes till I clue in something is amiss. Really makes one wonder about distortion and what is perceivable.
Check out Charles Ives' Unanswered Question, from the early 20th century, with 3 pieces played simultaneously and independently. As a child I have read that Ives simultaneously heard different marching bands in his US town playing different tunes, and this influenced his writing... So clearly Ives thought it was good too!

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not listening to a lot of Charles Ives, by any chance?

threni

Major Contributor
Check out Charles Ives' Unanswered Question, from the early 20th century, with 3 pieces played simultaneously and independently. As a child I have read that Ives simultaneously heard different marching bands in his US town playing different tunes, and this influenced his writing... So clearly Ives thought it was good too!

Ives did that a lot but not in Unanswered Question.

PaulD

Ives did that a lot but not in Unanswered Question.
I just pulled up the score and you are right (score fragment attached) - I must have been thinking about another piece of his... Yes, he did that a bit, as did a bunch of other composers, it's a relatively common 20th century aleatoric technique. I could probably find a dozen pieces if anybody was truly interested. Cage did it of course in many works, Stockhausen too I think, Mozart's Musikalisches Würfelspiel does not count as it's all synchronised even if there's randomness, but I think Ives is the best known for this sort of thing.

Attachments

• unanswered q.jpg
    unanswered q.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 80

Davedaring

That's a bit from "A Child's Garden of Grass" . Don't listen to disco, folk, or polka music- unless they"re all playing together!

Top Bottom