• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mission X : A Porsche Electric Supercar?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Written article about it. Still, I don't know the price, but I know it won't make any difference to me because it will be so high.

30 images with this article.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the official announcement. Looks like I was mistaken, it is not a supercar, it is a hypercar.

Written article about it. Still, I don't know the price, but I know it won't make any difference to me because it will be so high.
It is being announced to mark Porsches 75th birthday and not even clear it will go into production.

The vision, should the Mission X go into series production, is for it to be the fastest road-legal vehicle on the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Here is the official announcement. Looks like I was mistaken, it is not a supercar, it is a hypercar.

It is being announced to mark Porsches 75th birthday and not even clear it will go into production.

The vision, should the Mission X go into series production, is for it to be the fastest road-legal vehicle on the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
I've not yet read the link, but Porsche rarely unveils a concept car that does not make it to production.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've not yet read the link, but Porsche rarely unveils a concept car that does not make it to production.
That is not fully accurate but hope you are right.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
porsche did not disclose figures but there gave a power to weight and by deduction it would have as 'little' as 1,700hp or as much as 2,300hp so its in the vein of a Rimac or whatever silly land speed record EVs are out there

these cars ultimately leave me cold

i'm not a huge fan of hybrid supercars either... the old 918 and that sort... i'm a fan of the 911 GT3 manual

these companies are desperately trying to make EVs sexy and really... its like the Model 3 Plaid

this thing already does like 9 sec quarters and 155mph terminal speed which is mind bending nitro funny car level and this porsche is even worse

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They clearly stated their objective with this car is to continue their tradition of holding the fastest production car speed record for Nordschleife. All those straight line speed stats you are referring to, they have never been part of Porsche's marketing, on the contrary, I think they are actively trying to stay away from all that nonsense dick measuring competition. Quite rightly so as well I reckon.

One thing Porsche's has never been as good as others is being the "poster car" though, and I don't see Mission X changing that any time soon.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
You don't need to go fast to have fun. I own a Porsche, and the limits of my car are way higher than my limits as a driver. It can go faster and corner faster than I would ever dare to go. I have lost control of the car once (on a racetrack) and when the car breaks grip, it does it so quickly that you have little time to react if you are an inexperienced track driver like me. So: the Porsche is a fun car, but it's not as fun as some cars I have previously owned, e.g. a Mazda MX-5 and an Alfa Sprint. Both of these cars had much lower limits of grip and were much slower - when they approached their limit, they did it slowly and you can feel the car slowly starting to slide. The Alfa was a much older car and it could lose traction if you were over-ambitious in the rain, even at legal speeds. But it never flung me off the road, instead it would warn that either the front or the back was going to break traction and you have to correct it.

Those were fun cars. I can't imagine that something like this would be fun, unless you have the driving skills of Sebastian Vettel. Regardless, I don't think that people buy these cars because they want to have fun. They buy them so they can keep them in air conditioned garages and only bring them out on show days - in which case, how much power they make and how fast they accelerate really does not matter.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't need to go fast to have fun. I own a Porsche, and the limits of my car are way higher than my limits as a driver. It can go faster and corner faster than I would ever dare to go. I have lost control of the car once (on a racetrack) and when the car breaks grip, it does it so quickly that you have little time to react if you are an inexperienced track driver like me. So: the Porsche is a fun car, but it's not as fun as some cars I have previously owned, e.g. a Mazda MX-5 and an Alfa Sprint. Both of these cars had much lower limits of grip and were much slower - when they approached their limit, they did it slowly and you can feel the car slowly starting to slide. The Alfa was a much older car and it could lose traction if you were over-ambitious in the rain, even at legal speeds. But it never flung me off the road, instead it would warn that either the front or the back was going to break traction and you have to correct it.

Those were fun cars. I can't imagine that something like this would be fun, unless you have the driving skills of Sebastian Vettel. Regardless, I don't think that people buy these cars because they want to have fun. They buy them so they can keep them in air conditioned garages and only bring them out on show days - in which case, how much power they make and how fast they accelerate really does not matter.
Fully agree, I had much more fun with my past BMW E36, E34 and 2015 Fiesta ST than with any of my later and more powerful and high tech cars, so modern high end cars don't interest me at all, I am much more interested in cool cars from the past, here called youngtimers (15-30 year old) and oldtimers (>30 year old).

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cars like MX-5 or Alfa Sport would be designed with more over-steer which usually tends to be make the car more controllable and increases the heads up time you get before you start losing control. You can probably push them harder and easier with less risk indeed. For me I like Porsche's because they are designed with features to make it as easy as possible to drive them fast without compromising too much on the performance. An RME ADI-2 DAC of the car world if you will. If you are a good driver, you can do a good time with the 911. If you get better, you can improve your time. The car can do better as long as you can. Same is not true for other cars you mentioned.

On the other end of things, Lambos and Ferraris are amazing, but they are harder to drive well if you are not a pro. I own a 911, and I had the opportunity to drive other fast cars as well. With a Lambo for example, you feel like you are a badly timed sneeze away from having your brains scraped from the asphalt. It is exciting, but only for a short period of time.And they are pain to daily drive.

PS. I would like to bring it to everyone's attention that I have used an audio analogy in a car discussion, and would like this to be credited to my account for a "car analogy usage" in the future.

True. Target audience of this car is probably sheikhs and retired rock stars and Jay Leno, very few of which have an interest in a track day.

mglobe

Forum Donor

I’ve owned several Porsches over the years, as has my wife. His and hers are a 2008 Cayman S and 1991 964 Turbo respectively. I’ve also raced a Porsche for a while, but ultimately switched to Mazdas because of the cost differential and fun factor. The Porsches on the track can be wonderful. The rear engine cars slow into and exit corners superbly, but struggle some mid corner. The mid-engine cars are superbly stable until they are not, and once they decide to spin it happens quickly. The best handling Porsche I’ve ever driven on the track was a 944 S2. Superbly stable in, out, and mid turn. We’d still have that car except it rarely made it through a track weekend without breaking. The most recent generations of the 911 (991, 992) to me are pretty boring to drive unless you turn off all the nannies. They are superb cars, but other than the power, not that interesting to me.

The Mazda MX-5 platform is very much like the 944, much cheaper to keep running, and an absolute blast to drive. Add to that the level of competition in Spec Miata, MX-5 Spec, and MX-5 Cup, and the racing is just amazing. Both to watch, and to participate in.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Cars like MX-5 or Alfa Sport would be designed with more over-steer which usually tends to be make the car more controllable and increases the heads up time you get before you start losing control.

Both of them understeer with lift-off oversteer. With the Alfa, the lift-off oversteer could be vicious and put you into a spin if you are not careful. Note, the Alfa Sprint was a FWD car based on the Alfasud, it wasn't a RWD like every car in Alfa's stable at the time.

Anyway, much as I admire Porsche, I only admire them on an intellectual level. OP was right, they have never made "poster" cars. The 959 came out at the same time as the Ferrari F40. Guess which car I had on my wall as a teenager? Hint, it was red, not silver.

And this awkward looking thing from Porsche might be a technical achievement, but wouldn't you rather have a poster of this on your wall?

ferrari-sp3.jpg

Porsche should get Pininfarina to design a car for them.

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway, much as I admire Porsche, I only admire them on an intellectual level. OP was right, they have never made "poster" cars. The 959 came out at the same time as the Ferrari F40. Guess which car I had on my wall as a teenager? Hint, it was red, not silver.

And this awkward looking thing from Porsche might be a technical achievement, but wouldn't you rather have a poster of this on your wall?

Porsche should get Pininfarina to design a car for them.
Agree 100%. Not only because I am the OP who said they don't make made poster cars, but I do like the looks of Ferrari much better.

Yesterday in the live event, Porsche management spent half of the time talking about heritage and brand image and recognizable elements and such. I think they they feel threatened by new comers and they want us to remember they have been doing this for a long time. That is one way to approach it. Another one would be to give themselves some creative freedom to design something that is different. An unreasonable Porsche even. I would not mind that.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Agree 100%. Not only because I am the OP who said they don't make made poster cars, but I do like the looks of Ferrari much better.

Yesterday in the live event, Porsche management spent half of the time talking about heritage and brand image and recognizable elements and such. I think they they feel threatened by new comers and they want us to remember they have been doing this for a long time. That is one way to approach it. Another one would be to give themselves some creative freedom to design something that is different. An unreasonable Porsche even. I would not mind that.
At the risk of generalization, they are Germans. They value function and reliability over form. For me, while I love the look of Ferraris, I will take the function, reliability, and cost of maintenance of a Porsche over the Italian sports cars every time. Porsche made their name at LeMans by first finishing to finish first.

I may be slightly (ok very) biased, but I don’t completely agree with the comment about poster cars.

Attachments

• IMG_8074_jpg.jpeg
    IMG_8074_jpg.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 30

Keith_W

Major Contributor
At the risk of generalization, they are Germans. They value function and reliability over form. For me, while I love the look of Ferraris, I will take the function, reliability, and cost of maintenance of a Porsche over the Italian sports cars every time. Porsche made their name at LeMans by first finishing to finish first.

If you are going to buy a car to store in an air conditioned garage you would be better off with a Ferrari. But if you buy a car to drive (I suspect, this is probably everyone on ASR?), I will take the reliability of a Porsche any time. In fact, I did.

A friend once told me something interesting - have you noticed how so many second-hand Ferraris have such low mileage? He owned a Ferrari 458. It's because you have to change the clutch every 20,000km. To change the clutch, you have to remove the engine. The whole thing costs A$30k (USD$20k). Then there's the insurance, which is the same price as a base model Hyundai every year. My Porsche costs me $4k a year to run excluding petrol. Granted, my Porsche costs less than 1/2 of his 458, but at least it's useable as a car.

Top Bottom