• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minimum needed for Sennheiser HD6XX

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Getting these for my son and he will use them for gaming from his computer. What is an inexpensive way to drive them? 1) Just run line out from the computer into a headphone amp? 2) Or is there a need to run either USB into a dongle and then to the amp? 3) Or even Toslink into some kind of DAC/amp combo? I am guessing option 1 is the simplest, but thought I would check with the experts first.

gvl

Major Contributor
Maybe a CEntrance DACport Slim next time it's on drop.com, it wouldn't win any awards here but it's really fine for casual listening at reasonable volumes. I used one at work before and was fully satisfied.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Well for your son the most plesent way to use it would be with something that has the functionality & power to do the job while being game oriented. So all do it's not actually the cheapest one check out Creative Sound BlasterX G6.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ordered the Atom. Easiest/best option. Plus, I can use it if he can't. :)
thanks for the recommendations

dfuller

Major Contributor
Honestly, my motherboard's (Asus Prime X570 Pro) headphone output can drive HD650s just fine. Do they sound better with the amp on my ADI2? Hell yes they do. Do they sound bad? Nah.

Top Bottom