• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minimalist-Fi

Asylum Seeker

Listening to music exclusively through headphones/earphones, portable DAC/Amps and mobile devices. My biggest device is a Samsung Android tablet which also stands in for Netflix and Kindle. My most expensive device is a Huawei Mate 20 X which serves double duty as a smartphone. Anyone else on the same wavelength?

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not as such, but a certain minimalist aesthetic (or, perhaps more accurately, Weltanschauung)pervades the 'serious' hifi system at my house.
No active "gainstage" preamp, just a source switch and a passive autoformer volume control.
Single-ended, direct-heated triode stereo power amplifier
Large, high-sensitivity 2/3 way loudspeakers with first order passive crossovers.
(various sources, including FM)

DSC_5910 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
DSC_4264 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_4262 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_4468 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_5909 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no one size fits all solution.

Reactions: wje

AdamS

Portable-Fi maybe, but I wouldn't necessarily call using headphones with mobile devices, and DAC/Amps as minimalist.

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

Portable-Fi maybe, but I wouldn't necessarily call using headphones with mobile devices, and DAC/Amps as minimalist.
Sometimes it's just an iem connected to a mobile device. At most a tablet with a portable amp and portable headphones. I suppose it could trim it down even more by listening out of the mobile device speaker, but then it would not be 'Fi' at all.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I aspire to be a minimalist, but I'm not there yet! I grew up in an age where music-playback involved shiny metal boxes with weighted clicky knobs, and I still like some of that sensory experience. But I very much like the notion of empty space as being not barren, so much as it is filled with potential. I appreciate the feeling in the digital realm too and periodically delete files, photos, etc which are only cluttering my life.

BillG

Major Contributor
Listening to music exclusively through headphones/earphones, portable DAC/Amps and mobile devices. My biggest device is a Samsung Android tablet. My most expensive device is a Huawei Mate 20 X which serves double duty as a smartphone. Anyone else on the same wavelength?

Yes, I prefer a minimal setup as well, but not exclusively mobile... :cool:

Portable
Download.jpeg

Download.jpeg

Desktop
Download1.jpeg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If it is your system, then it is hard to think of more minimal than phones and smartphone or tablet.

OTOH, to the OP, nope, not on your wavelength.

I was more minimalist at one time I suppose. Had a pocket transistor radio and earphones (when I couldn't use the speaker). Graduated to a desktop AM/FM/Shortwave radio with speaker. The latter was all I had at college the first couple years.

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

...I grew up in an age where music-playback involved shiny metal boxes with weighted clicky knobs...

Me too. I am no spring chicken.

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

You may think that I am a Millennial, but I am not. My minimalism grew out of my advanced age and a desire make do with less. The 'aha' moment came when i got rid of things and I didn't feel the loss or regret i thought i would. Once you start getting rid of things, it gets progressively easier. And volume and weight matter a lot less in the digital realm and with headphones/earphones.

OP
Asylum Seeker

Asylum Seeker

That doesn't add anything to the discussion, and I'm not sure it's true.
I asked, >Anyone else on the same wavelength?". A proper response would have been yes/no/kinda. Your response, 'one size does not fit all'. And you are telling me I am not adding to the discussion? Right. I was not preaching. Instead, trying to reach out for common experiences.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked, >Anyone else on the same wavelength?". A proper response would have been yes/no/kinda. Your response, one size does not fit all'.

You could interpret my response to be kinda.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You may think that I am a Millennial, but I am not. My minimalism grew out of my advanced age and a desire make do with less. The 'aha' moment came when i got rid of things and I didn't feel the loss or regret i thought i would. Once you start getting rid of things, it gets progressively easier. And volume and weight matter a lot less in the digital realm and with headphones/earphones.
I slowly rid myself of material attachments and then in one fell swoop I tossed all the junk out in a period of a few days into a big metal dumpster. At first it was difficult and worry-some and then after a few items it was easy and I now don't miss it. Now I don't collect stuff but what I do buy I buy the right tool for the job per say. No more tri-amp'd stereo, no more racks of CDs and boxes of records, no more stacks of boxes of useless paper that I had shredded, no more out of date clothes on racks. I could pack up and move in short order it's that simplified. I like it. I use my gaming PC for tunes with a set of headphones now and when out and about it's just the cel tel with KEF earphones. Now I just need to get a EVGA NU Audio Pro :p

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is typically my minimalist-Fi setup

40305913733_9550bdc659_k_d.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Anyone else on the same wavelength?

No, at least, not yet.

I prefer speakers, likely always will.

Attended a show recently, put some high-end phones on my head fed from some high-end electro stuff and, I'll bet it wasn't one minute before I took them off and went to the next room to see what speakers were being used to market whatever it was they were really promoting.

Don't walk around with headphones, though I will walk around with hearing protection when appropriate.

The sound system in the car (stock) is not very good, but if something comes over the air that is interesting, it will still interest me.

As for getting rid of stuff, I've got some to delete. This household is the combination of four minor households, so, whatever I need I already have two or three of them.

Gonna work on that, as soon as I get around to it. Maybe.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that your yearbook? :p Reminds me of Vancouver...

Hahaha! I'd be in cloud 9 if I was on the same classroom as those idols in those school uniforms :p

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hahaha! I'd be in cloud 9 if I was on the same classroom as those idols in those school uniforms :p
With some effort and a good attitude you might be surprised who you can meet and greet ;)

Top Bottom