• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

i'm trying to achieve the same thing as the OP (high pass my speakers and use them together with a sub, anyway i don't want to get rid of my r2r dac)

and i was reading everything here, anyway i;m not sure why there is the need for a secondary dac in this chain "miniDSP > DAC > Poweramps > L+R speakers and miniDSP > DAC > Subwoofer."?

minisdp can't do 2 outputs? one analog with a high pass filter and another one digital with either the full frequencies or even low pass?

thanks
The Flex digital (the version being discussed here) only has digital outputs. No analog out.
Flex%20Digital.jpg

oslius

The Flex digital (the version being discussed here) only has digital outputs. No analog out.
Flex%20Digital.jpg
makes sense

are there any better ways to design the signal chain ? other minidsp products with both digital and analog outputs or alternatives to it ?

OP
P

Probelou

minisdp can't do 2 outputs? one analog with a high pass filter and another one digital with either the full frequencies or even low pass?
My miniDSP Flex has 4 outputs. They're all digital though which is why I would need a second DAC for my subwoofer.

Output 1 is going to my Chord DAC > Poweramps > L+R speakers and Output 3 is going to a BlueSound Node 2i > Subwoofer. Volume would be controlled digitally with the miniDSP Flex.

Using the setup I've just mentioned means I can no longer use my M-Scaler as the miniDSP only has a maximum delay of 30ms and this is nowhere near what's needed for the M-Scaler. The Hugo TT2 also introduces a 16ms delay when receiving a 96kHz signal (miniDSP list the Flex as 96kHz or 48kHz with Dirac) but this is within addressable limits.

I did discover a weird quirk with the BlueSound Node 2i when it's running as a DAC with fixed output. I have to keep the A/V Mode engaged otherwise everything was out of sync and just sounded odd.

alaios

Digital Source -> miniDSP -> DAC -> preamp -> amp

In my case a miniDSP OpenDRC-DI
that means for my case (I am writing it down so someone can check my sanity)

1. CD transport->mini dsp -> integrated input of CD
2. streamer ->minidsp ->integrated input of streamer
3. turntable ->???? (minidsp)--->??

Top Bottom