• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP U-DAC8 8-Channel USB DAC Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Seems that inside there's miniDSP transport from https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer. Perhaps using the TOSLINK input instead of USB would make a difference? Or realigning those ribbon cables by opening up the case and redo the measurements?
Harmonic distortion is the main issue and that won't change with moving cables. I did test it with a linear power supply but made no difference. Thanks for the pictures by the way. :)

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Suddenly a number of AVRs and AVPs did a little victory dance (or at least a sigh of relief). I understand that the principle application is different, but still if you count the cost of the PC and amplification in the package... this would be bested by a number of them for the same cost - and that's without taking the significant amount of additional features into account. :confused:

I wonder (hope) that the nanoAVR HDA is better. At least it's a more complete package with DSP & HDMI switching - and all the cables connect on the same side. For $130 more I'd think it's the better deal though slightly different application.

Some of the miniDSP products now are a bit long in the tooth. They really need to be updated. The nanoAVR HDA, for example, only has HDMI 1.4a inputs and output. I can't see myself thinking of buying it now. I almost bought the U-DAC8 two months ago, but was rather disatisfied with the lack of any other input, e.g. SPDIF.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
As much as I hate the crapware that comes with PC/gaming sound cards, they have much better performance for much less money than the U-DAC8.

Got several laptops (7) in the house. Not a single PC tower, unfortunately. If I had one, I would probably just get a good sound card, too.

As such, I am -- and many other people (presumably) nowadays are -- limited to using external devices.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Some of the miniDSP products now are a bit long in the tooth.

Maybe some of the employees are otherwise occupied at the moment...

1574961556964.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Got several laptops (7) in the house. Not a single PC tower, unfortunately. If I had one, I would probably just get a good sound card, too.

As such, I am -- and many other people (presumably) nowadays are -- limited to using external devices.
I used the word "card" generically. These things do come in external packages too like the Sound Blaster Omni 5.1: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-sound-blaster-omni-5-1-dac.8931/

It is only $79 and has much less distortion although output level is a bit low.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I used the word "card" generically. These things do come in external packages too like the Sound Blaster Omni 5.1: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-sound-blaster-omni-5-1-dac.8931/

It is only $79 and has much less distortion although output level is a bit low.

Ah, yes, Sound Blaster... who could forget the brand? I had a much older sound blaster (5.1) external card like the one you reviewed. RCA outputs were acceptable on that one. HP output was garbage, though! The worst HP out I've heard in my life -- maybe a manufacturing defect -- who knows. That was the only DAC & HP amp combo I ever threw out in the the trash bin. Hmmm. On second thought, maybe I should've just donated it to some second-hand thrift shop. That was maybe over ten years ago so... eh, never mind.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In terms of measurement points, the above graph also suggests there are only three measurement points above the 10KHz point, is that correct? Is that sufficient in your opinion for 50% of the audible spectrum?

In terms of actual music (octaves), that 10kHz-20KHz represents only about 12% of the musical notes vs 50% of the frequency range due to the logrithmic relationship between musical notes and frequencies. LINK

I am curious as to whether others think that for measurement purposes, three data points for the top 12% of the audible spectrum based on musical notes (a bit over one octave) is likely sufficient. (Of course, at 77 y/o I can barely hear 10KHz, which means that I can hear 88% of the range of musical notes, but only 50% of the associated frequency range.)

Another thing that puzzles me is the concern - bordering on obsession - of some people regarding continuous high amplifier power into tweeters. Can tweeters really handle 200 watts of continuous power at frequencies between 10-20KHz without being destroyed? Is the concern about specs based on practical reasons - the ability of an audio system to accurately reproduce music very loudly? Or just an ethical concern parallel to advertising and selling audiophool snake oil?

I understand - and share - respect for engineering excellence with respect to lowering noise and distortion in DACs and amplifiers to well beyond audibility, but I would never rule out an amplifier for my own use just because it couldn't provide 200wpc continuous output at 10-20KHz in a "stress test."

Edit: I see that @AudioSceptic mentioned the same concern re: frequency vs musical scales.

Last edited:

zermak

Glad I didn't buy it and kept using my Asus DX for my 5.1 system. I guess there aren't much cheap solutions with RCA outs (under 300 euros) than can beat that little audio card.

Thanks for the review!

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe some of the employees are otherwise occupied at the moment...

I went through a warranty repair on my new SHD Studio. They had a quick turnaround once they agreed the unit needed a repair. I wanted to ask but I figured I might get them in trouble. They paid international shipping both ways.

A pretty good company to deal with. Also the SHD Studio sounds awesome to me.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does the Khadas tone board and this minidsp use the same AKM DACs? Is that the reason for your comparison, beacuse there are some striking similarities in THD+n v Freq, albeit it a much higher level?

View attachment 40595

In terms of measurement points, the above graph also suggests there are only three measurement points above the 10KHz point, is that correct? Is that sufficient in your opinion for 50% of the audible spectrum?

10KHz - 20KHz is ONE octave, not
“50% of audible spectrum”

This is where Amit’s science serves music, and the field of psychoacoustics has advanced our understanding of what is more (or less) important in terms of measurements.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
10KHz - 20KHz is ONE octave, not
“50% of audible spectrum”

This is where Amit’s science serves music, and the field of psychoacoustics has advanced our understanding of what is more (or less) important in terms of measurements.

:facepalm:

Psychoacoustics has absolutely nothing to do with my query. It's purely a measurement anomaly I happened to notice. It's up to Amir to answer whether:

a) There are indeed only three measurement points (>10KHz) as that's what it looks like. It may not be the case, but similarities and step points are very suspiciously aligned with a totally different product and they exhibit similar tendencies. That deserves investigation in my opinion.
And
b) If that's the case, whether he thinks three measurement points are adequate, considering earlier default THD vs Level plots needed to be upped in sample points from the default AP settings to better indicate the distortion "knee" point.

I'm sure @amirm will weigh in when he sees the post.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

dukanvadet

Forum Donor
To bad the ASUS xonar u7 drivers didnt have working drivers with the analyzer. At this point it might be the best performing affordable 8 channel dac.

Top Bottom