• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP SHD Studio

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. Can the USB on the Studio be used for output? I thought I read somewhere previously that that functionality had been added, but I cannot remember where, or if, I read that. Thanks.

The USB audio is bi-directional, there is a somewhat hacky way to output USB audio from the Studio but it requires a separate computer to act as host and so far it seems to eliminate the USB input functionality.

What do you want to output USB audio to?

Michael

smurfer

Yes, with the PC software you can route any input to any output. The PC is used only for setup, then the SHD will work stand-alone.

The SHD offers a lot of flexbility with it's analog in and out and 2-channel crossover. For digital-only version, the SHD Studio, it still looks like better value to me that the DRC-22D to have the 2 additional channels for a couple of hundred $.

In terms of other options there isn't a lot of similarly priced options that do dirac + 2-way crossover. I know some folk are using the SHD Studio into an external crossover & multi-wave DAC like the Xilica products..but price goes up this way.

Lastly, I'm not sure of SHD can import FIR filters like 2x4HD. So if that's any issue (of course Dirac does FIR and IIR, but I'm talking about importing in custom FIR filters of your own)

poxymoron

Thanks for your reply NTK.
I thought that the bidirectional audio referenced above refers only to when the Studio is connected to the PC when doing Dirac room correction, although I stand to be corrected on that.
What I meant was can the SHD Studio output digital audio to a DAC/active speakers via USB? The following article suggests that it cannot:
I thought I read subsequently that digital audio to DAC via USB was added.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply NTK.
I thought that the bidirectional audio referenced above refers only to when the Studio is connected to the PC when doing Dirac room correction, although I stand to be corrected on that.
What I meant was can the SHD Studio output digital audio to a DAC/active speakers via USB? The following article suggests that it cannot:
I thought I read subsequently that digital audio to DAC via USB was added.

For USB output from the SHD, the SHD acts as a recording device when seen from the PC. I don't think its USB output can be used for connecting to another DAC. You will have to use its other digital outputs (SPDIF coax or AES XLR).

minidsp_shd.PNG

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For USB output from the SHD, the SHD acts as a recording device when seen from the PC. I don't think its USB output can be used for connecting to another DAC. You will have to use its other digital outputs (SPDIF coax or AES XLR).

If connected to a computer you can route the Dirac processed signal from the SHD Studio to another USB DAC although this needs to be done in software. I agree that it would make much more sense to use the SPDIF / AES digital outputs, only reason I would use the USB output would be if my DAC did not have normal digital inputs and only had USB like a topping D10 or MOTU M4. Again, in my experience this only works when using inputs other than USB on the SHD Studio.

@poxymoron what specific equipment are you wanting to use?

Michael

poxymoron

If connected to a computer you can route the Dirac processed signal from the SHD Studio to another USB DAC although this needs to be done in software. I agree that it would make much more sense to use the SPDIF / AES digital outputs, only reason I would use the USB output would be if my DAC did not have normal digital inputs and only had USB like a topping D10 or MOTU M4. Again, in my experience this only works when using inputs other than USB on the SHD Studio.

@poxymoron what specific equipment are you wanting to use?

Michael
Thanks for the all the replies. I'll be connecting the Studio directly to my Edifier S3000pro active speakers which have the following inputs: 1 x Optical TOSLINK Input (Audio), 1 x Digital Coaxial Input (Audio), 1 x USB Type-B Input (Audio), 1 x Stereo XLR Input (Audio), 1 x Stereo RCA Input (Audio). So no requirement to input through USB I suppose, just thought it was the simplest. My laptop won't be used other than for the initial Dirac setup. Thanks again.

Sashoir

Forum Donor
After trying them all I'm all in on Spotify. Could you elaborate on the "gone kaput" comment, lol. thanks
It occasionally ceased to be recognised as a Spotify Connect endpoint, and when it was recognised and selected, the connexion would fail (the SHD would show green as the connected endpoint for a while, and then revert, but at no time did the music come). Unfortunately no error messages I could see (and to be honest, with a commercial appliance, my inclination to find some obscure verbose logging option and send text files to support is limited).

TonioRoffo

So, the USB input functionality - does it require a driver or is it a standard USB 2.0 audio device? Just wondering how fun it would be to connect something like an Nvidia Shield and process the android audio with Dirac.

Cofra

What dacs do you guys use with your SHD Studio? It would be nice if they fit nicely size wise.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a drop balanced grace dac for my sub. The speakers take digital.

AudioScience Enthusiast

Hi everyone, I am thinking of getting a miniDSP SHD Studio to add Dirac Live to my current setup running Roon: Mac Studio -> SMSL DO200 MKII DAC -> SMSL AO200 Amp

Here are a few confusing things for me:

1. What is the usual setup for SHD using Roon? Is it like this:

Network Cable -> SHD Studio -> SMSL AO200 Amp

2. Or is my current DAC still needed, like this:

Network Cable -> SHD Studio -> SMSL DO200 MKII DAC -> SMSL AO200 Amp

3. I read in this thread that SHD Studio doesn't do crossover. But won't the SMSL DO200 MKII DAC and AO200 Amp do the crossover for low frequencies?

4. Worse case scenario, if both SMSL DAC and Amp don't do the crossover, my SVS Micro 3000 sub has digital control for crossover, so I can just rely on the sub's crossover right?

5. But what about the crossover for the stereo channels? To get this, is SHD the only option available?

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
Hi everyone, I am thinking of getting a miniDSP SHD Studio to add Dirac Live to my current setup running Roon: Mac Studio -> SMSL DO200 MKII DAC -> SMSL AO200 Amp

Here are a few confusing things for me:

1. What is the usual setup for SHD using Roon? Is it like this:

Network Cable -> SHD Studio -> SMSL AO200 Amp

2. Or is my current DAC still needed, like this:

Network Cable -> SHD Studio -> SMSL DO200 MKII DAC -> SMSL AO200 Amp

#2 ... SHD Studio has no DAC, it is purely digital.

3. I read in this thread that SHD Studio doesn't do crossover. But won't the SMSL DO200 MKII DAC and AO200 Amp do the crossover for low frequencies?

4. Worse case scenario, if both SMSL DAC and Amp don't do the crossover, my SVS Micro 3000 sub has digital control for crossover, so I can just rely on the sub's crossover right?

5. But what about the crossover for the stereo channels? To get this, is SHD the only option available?

SHD control app routes the stereo pair into specified output channels according to your custom setup, after which you can apply crossover in each output channel inside the app. Then you can run Dirac Live calibration, which does the rest.

The full SHD is worth considering, since it includes a quality DAC and you'll have less clutter.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
the sub has RCA outs also, no idea if they run the same x-over, but in HP or if they're just throughput, might be worth checking the manual
Should double check how it is implemented. I thought about doing this with my KEF KC62 but after inquiring about the details with KEF they said it goes through a ADC->DigitalCrossover->DAC cycle. After taking all the care in managing my upstream components for the best audio quality…to send it through this kind of meat grinder at the end seemed unwise. I only want one D/A conversion in my chain…not three.

aspiens

Hello. I'm interested in buying this device, for use with big old acoustics Tannoy Arden. There are a couple of Dacs of different price levels - Chord Mojo and M2tech Young III . I think to use different types of amplifiers for amplification. For example, for bass, class D should be very effective. What about sound quality? This is the main question. For example, a device from the dutch Hypex with analog outputs did not suit me in terms of sound. All hope is that now my DACs will receive only a digital signal from the crossover, and will determine the sound quality themselves. And my dacs sound good.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
For example, a device from the dutch Hypex with analog outputs did not suit me in terms of sound.
If you didn't like Hypex, then you probably won't like any class D amps...since hypex is about as good as class D gets.

Top Bottom