• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Studio as a preamp

Godataloss

One can have a preamplifier without a phono stage, or with or without a DAC. But you can't call a component a preamplifier if it provides no amplification. At least not to me.
Tell that to the myriad of passive analog preamps out there. Preamp to me is switching and volume attenuation.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I use a SHD with Roon to power my LXMini's, powered by Neurochrome amps. I'm very happy with it all, and there is no hiss anywhere.

The price of Roon is worth it to be able to send sound around the house without having to keep a laptop open. I don't use Dirac on there as I didn't find it made much difference, and VolumIO wasn't friendly.

I'm tempted to get the SHD studio for my current LX521 build, but might go with a CA CXN V2 as it has a nice screen.

@tomchr designed the analog sections on the SHD - https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/267802-modulus-86-build-thread-472.html#post5855423

Zed

I'm using SHD (which is the same as SHD Studio with additional 2xADC inputs and 2xDAC outputs which I don't use) with an external Topping D90 DAC.

Curious as to why you use an external dac with the standard shd? Does it come before or adter the SHD? Assuming before since you said you don’t use the digital outs?

Last edited:

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Curious as to why you use an external dac with the standard shd? Does it come before or adter the SHD? Assuming before since you said you don’t use the digital outs?
Wasn’t very clear in my statement - I have a Topping D90 DAC connected at SHD coax digital to use instead of SHD’s DAC for my speakers and use SHD’s DAC for the subs.

I use an external DAC with SHD for a silly reason - it measures a bit better, has audibly less noise although irrelevant at listening distance. Many claim D90 sounds good while it sounds the same to me in proper volume-matched A/B comparison. I might replace SHD with the all digital Studio version eventually and will need the external DAC then.

Zed

Wasn’t very clear in my statement - I have a Topping D90 DAC connected at SHD coax digital to use instead of SHD’s DAC for my speakers and use SHD’s DAC for the subs.

I use an external DAC with SHD for a silly reason - it measures a bit better, has audibly less noise although irrelevant at listening distance. Many claim D90 sounds good while it sounds the same to me in proper volume-matched A/B comparison. I might replace SHD with the all digital Studio version eventually and will need the external DAC then.
All makes sense. Sounds like the Studio is definitely a better solution for you, given that you don't utilize the shd dac.

Top Bottom