• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP SHD Studio alternatives

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all,

My current audio set up includes a pair of Genelec 8341AWM monitors combined with a pair of non-Genelec 12" active subwoofers.
I use a MiniDSP SHD (full fat version) as volume control, input selection and parametric EQ for my two subs.

I have decided to take the plunge and go for an all Genelec system by ditching the existing active subs and buying a pair of 7360A Genelec subs.
I use the GLM kit for room EQ and, with the recent advances in their bass management processes and software, I feel that the GLM kit married to an all Genelec system will be my "end game" for the forseeable future. :)

I only need two audio inputs (TOSLINK and USB) but I require an AES/EBU output along with input selection and volume control.
I don't need a DAC just the audio interface.

Is there anything out there other than the MiniDSP SHD Studio that would serve this purpose???

Cheers guys.

outfaced

And you really find GLM software better then DIRAC?
For me i will phase-align the subs with the mains with GLM, but will leave the rest to DIRAC. Sadly the DIRAC version on SHD studio is not one with sub management. Then will be perfect. But sofar i know and tested there is no phase aligment between output 1/2 and 3/4 on the SHD studio

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
And you really find GLM software better then DIRAC?
For me i will phase-align the subs with the mains with GLM, but will leave the rest to DIRAC. Sadly the DIRAC version on SHD studio is not one with sub management. Then will be perfect. But sofar i know and tested there is no phase aligment between output 1/2 and 3/4 on the SHD studio
I have used DIRAC for years when I had my passive set up and I found it cumbersome to use with many drop-outs when measuring my room.
At the time, the bass management left a lot to be desired.
I ended up manually measuring my subs at their locations, level/gain matching then, using the alignment tool in REW, and selecting appropriate delays to allow a positive summation of the two subs.
Once that was done, choose the crossover point as determined by the alignment tool. Never need bass management after that! :)
I have used numerous room correction software packages over the last decade and personally found GLM to tick all the boxes for me.
But that's my personal experience and your mileage may vary of course!

Your answer is exactly why I want to go for an "all Genelec" solution as the GLM software will automatically phase align my subs and monitors.
I need never have to worry about it again.

I used to measure my system at least once a month but now, since using GLM, my UMIK1 is gathering dust in the attic.
That's how confident I am in the GLM software.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I have honestly spent the best part of £20k on passive audio gear over the years trying to find the perfect sound.

Since going for the Genelec Active option, I have never looked back!
I wish I had known about Genelec a very long time ago!
Yes, it's high price to pay but I genuinely feel a massive benefit in my humble lounge.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I'm looking into the RMEADI2 pro as an alternative as the prices aren't far off each other in the UK.
The RME is by far a much better quality unit than the minidsp.
In all honesty, both units are overkill really for what is essentially going to be a digital audio switcher with volume control.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are streaming from the PC, you could use a software crossover like Ekio or Dephonica, a PEQ like Equalizer APO with the Peace Gui, an all in one software player like JRiver and Roon, a measuring tool like REW, premium DSP packages that run on Windows PCs like Dirac, Audiolense, and Accourate, and FIR Filter building tools like RePhase. Any I3 Windows PC should be able to run those programs as well as Dessktop applications for Netflix, Qobuz, Tidal, and basic cable apps like Youtube, Fubo, and Sling, plus sports apps like NBA and MLB tv. and any number of VPNs. All without cable or Directv subscription.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Yamaha WXC-50 perhaps?
Good suggestion but I want to keep the signal path as clean as possible.
I don't need any analogue connections what-so-ever or any kind of streaming functionality. ;)

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I'm best off explaining my set up so everybody is clear on my needs here......

My music source is an INTEL NUC with ROON software linked with Qobuz via USB type B
TV/Movies/Gaming is all done through my TV via Optical

Due to the new Genelec Sub situation, I no longer need any analogue inputs/outputs at all and only require an interface to control my inputs.
I will need volume control via remote control for source selection.

Basically a DDC or USB/AES interface.........

After doing much searching online only the minidsp SHD Studio or REM ADI 2 Pro seem to fit the bill.
I'm probably over thinking this really!

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Studio gear?

On second thought the rme adi dac is probably the best choice.
Yeah, Genelec is studio gear but I'm using it in my home for 2 channel as the accuracy and detail is second to none... :)

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
The way these Genelec SAM speakers work in a digital only system is by linking them all together via an AES/EBU cable. FYI

Kervel

Forum Donor
I use a Minidsp studio with Genelec SAM (and non-Genelec subs). An issue with the studio is that it's designed to always be on, but keeps sending a digital clock signal to the Genelecs even when no music is playing, preventing automatic standby of the speakers. The Studio has a standby button, but then the streamer takes a minute to turn on for use of Roon. Quite annoying. I would really suggest a standard DAC / preamp with remote and nice screen, and just do the DA/AD twice in the Gennies. It remains transparent.

If you are OK with a headless system (no screen showing volume), you can use the GLM remote for volume, a chromecast for streaming roon (which together with TV means two toslink sources), and this automatic input selector to go from toslink to Spdif:
The advantage is that this is cheap, and the switcher works well so you just start streaming / TV and music starts automagically. Downside is having no screen.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Yeah, Genelec is studio gear but I'm using it in my home for 2 channel as the accuracy and detail is second to none... :)
I meant studio gear as in audio interface.
I heard the genelec 8351 with a dac/pre and wondered about the same question you have asked in your first post.

Basically I was advised I could get a dac and preamplifier but that would be for convenience only.
The other choice they offered would be to control volume in the digital domain, ie in software from a streamer. Tbh I did notice a noticable noise floor when controlling volume like this.
The third option would be to use a genelec remote as volume control. Disadvantage is that you wouldn't have a way to switch sources.

Tbh I would go for the rme or a benchmark dac because they have a well thought out product, great customer support and all the inputs you need. The rme seems the best value for money imo.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know of it matters but the Minidsp Studio only outputs 24/92. I used a Lumin Mini U1 when I had an all Genelec system and controlled volume digitally.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I use a Minidsp studio with Genelec SAM (and non-Genelec subs). An issue with the studio is that it's designed to always be on, but keeps sending a digital clock signal to the Genelecs even when no music is playing, preventing automatic standby of the speakers. The Studio has a standby button, but then the streamer takes a minute to turn on for use of Roon. Quite annoying. I would really suggest a standard DAC / preamp with remote and nice screen, and just do the DA/AD twice in the Gennies. It remains transparent.

If you are OK with a headless system (no screen showing volume), you can use the GLM remote for volume, a chromecast for streaming roon (which together with TV means two toslink sources), and this automatic input selector to go from toslink to Spdif:
The advantage is that this is cheap, and the switcher works well so you just start streaming / TV and music starts automagically. Downside is having no screen.
I like the sound of your idea and it would work if it was only me using the system but my wife needs a display to see what the volume is set to and to also the see the input. We currently use a harmony remote to control everything but sometimes it can go a bit haywire so if we didn't have the visual reference, it would cause mayhem for her....

Top Bottom