• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I measured mine with a DMM. It's a very old and cheap DMM so I'm not sure how much I trust it, but it read 4.1V RMS with a 0dBFS sin wave playing from the REW signal generator.
Thanks, that is exactly what I would expect. I really cannot see any reason it would clip at such a low level unless the channels were summed (which would explain it perfectly).

Michael

eyesofra

The sure way of knowing at what point it clips is with an O-scope. I do have a SMD-DD1 distortion detector which normally works best with higher output signal - starting at 1.2v. I'll check with it anyway and will post if I get any meaningful measurements.

Iwf

Pleased to say my MiniDSP SHD is arriving Fri, str from HK, with DHL express. Only ordered Mon morning , include uk taxes , its around £1200, including the Mic. I think £400 less than buying in the UK, accepting I might have problems with service , of course.

while most folks will use a lap top, I’ve a proper pc at the end of my lounge. Could anyone advise what type of usb cable is used, or more specifically the connector at the mic end of things.

radix

Major Contributor
Pleased to say my MiniDSP SHD is arriving Fri, str from HK, with DHL express. Only ordered Mon morning , include uk taxes , its around £1200, including the Mic. I think £400 less than buying in the UK, accepting I might have problems with service , of course.

while most folks will use a lap top, I’ve a proper pc at the end of my lounge. Could anyone advise what type of usb cable is used, or more specifically the connector at the mic end of things.

I have the UMIC2. It uses USB-C on the mic end, so on my Macbook it's just a regular USB-C to USB-C cable. If you have USB-A connectors (the rectangular ones) you should be able to find USB-C to USB-A. I got a long cable, I think 10' or 15', so I can position the mic without needing the computer right next to it.

I believe the current version of UMIC-1 also has a USB-C connector on it. The older (UMIC1 v2) had a mini-USB connector.

To run the DRIAC software, you also need a USB cable from the computer to the back port on the SHD. That is a USB type-B connector, so you likely need a USB-A to USB-B cable. Again, I got that long for my laptop, but maybe you don't need that?

Make sure all the cables are at least USB 2.0 rated. The UMIC and SHD are both USB 2.0 ports. I think I got 3.0 cables.

Marc

Glasvegas

Forum Donor

The miniDSP will include the cables you need to connect the SHD and the mic to your PC. At least mine did.

However, they may not be long enough.

For me, the mic cable was long enough, but had to buy this to reach the SHD.

Iwf

Thanks both. I think I’ll try a couple of things. Extension cables as you suggest but also a usb hub on an extension lead. Knowing that’s it’s USB C on the mic is the key for me.

again thanks

radix

Major Contributor
Thanks both. I think I’ll try a couple of things. Extension cables as you suggest but also a usb hub on an extension lead. Knowing that’s it’s USB C on the mic is the key for me.

again thanks

USB C is about the same size as mini-USB. The difference is USB-C is rounded, like an oval. mini-USB is trapezoid-ish (not exactly a trapezoid, but definitely not rounded).

eisenb11

Keep in mind that aside from Mic-to-PC cable, you'll also need a PC-to-SHD cable.

My stereo setup is in my office. Computer is near my sitting position, so I used the included Mic USB cable. The SHD is on the other side of the room. I permanently keep a USB plugged into the SHD so I don't have to dig around the back to connect things. So when I need to do USB stuff (e.g. mess with Dirac settings), I run a long USB extension cable from the PC to the regular USB cable that's already connected to the SHD. The cable tucks under the audio stand when not in use so you'll have no idea it's there.

Iwf

Actually I think I’ll resite an old NUC nearer both hifi, and tv, then sort out access from a lappy.

thanks for all the support

Iwf

So, I carried my first Dirac measurement this morning , recording 9 out of the 13 suggested before getting bored. Quite a difference during testing between having it on and off during playback. Now the fun starts as I try and understand ‘what next’ with Dirac.

my only outstanding question relates to ROON. Though there’s a plug-in within Volumio (if that’s the interface from a web browser ) enabling it within volumio allows it to appear within roon , but it can’t be enabled within ROON because it’s not certified. Am I right and this is the current state of affairs ? There’s no workaround? In the meantime I’ve a Ropieee endpoint working across spdif , but I had hoped to rid myself of a box or 2.

nick-v

What target curve did you use with Dirac Live? I prefer a downward sloping "Harman Curve". What's next is likely tracking down or tweaking to taste an ideal target curve.

Iwf

Obivuosly a lot to learn. didnt know there were other curves. Where do I find them ?

nick-v

radix

Major Contributor
my only outstanding question relates to ROON. Though there’s a plug-in within Volumio (if that’s the interface from a web browser ) enabling it within volumio allows it to appear within roon , but it can’t be enabled within ROON because it’s not certified. Am I right and this is the current state of affairs ? There’s no workaround? In the meantime I’ve a Ropieee endpoint working across spdif , but I had hoped to rid myself of a box or 2.

That is correct. You need to use the Volumio plugin or use an external roon device.

Personally, I've had lots of problems with the Roon plugin on the SHD -- it did not install correctly and I cannot uninstall it or enable it, its just stuck. I should really ask minidsp about it. My other issue with Volumio is it seems, for me, that it takes a long time to become ready after coming out of standby. Maybe I'm overly impatient. So, I use and external raspberry pi 4 with Ropieee via usb. I had to put an IR remote on the Ropieee to get track skipping working, but otherwise, I like this config somewhat.

Marc

Iwf

Bugger. Part of my decision for the SHD was to rid myself of the external end point, in my case a SoTM sms, with associated power supply. On the other hand I won’t worry about all things jitter, so maybe it’s a relief.

now with another set of measurements and a couple of new curves, I can really start listening.

The most notable differences are the calming of some the of the brightness of the Class D amps and better staging. So, so much to learn

eisenb11

i think he was unlucky with the plug-in. Most people are using it without issue. I was lucky and was grandfathered into the native uncertified Roon support. Eventually they’ll be certified and officially supported - it’s in the works.

What did you think of the curves? I tried the Harmon and Nad ones. Haven‘t tried Arcam yet. Prefer Dirac’s default curve so far.

kokoon

Forum Donor
Bugger. Part of my decision for the SHD was to rid myself of the external end point, in my case a SoTM sms, with associated power supply. On the other hand I won’t worry about all things jitter, so maybe it’s a relief.

now with another set of measurements and a couple of new curves, I can really start listening.

The most notable differences are the calming of some the of the brightness of the Class D amps and better staging. So, so much to learn
Wait, what? No, that's not the current state of affairs with SHD's Roon endpoint capability. I'm using it without problems, not grandfathered.

Iwf

@kokoon
Wait, what? No, that's not the current state of affairs with SHD's Roon endpoint capability. I'm using it without problems, not grandfathered.
how did you achieve that, could I ask. After enabling the ROON plugin within volumio, it appears as an end point ROON , but you can’t enable it within ROON . You just get the unsupported message.

more interestingly I couldn’t tell the difference between the Pi based hi berry spdif output (@£100) and the SoTm SMS via USB (at £250 incl power supply)

Iwf

i think he was unlucky with the plug-in. Most people are using it without issue. I was lucky and was grandfathered into the native uncertified Roon support. Eventually they’ll be certified and officially supported - it’s in the works.

What did you think of the curves? I tried the Harmon and Nad ones. Haven‘t tried Arcam yet. Prefer Dirac’s default curve so far.
I need to try more, but it’s quite subtle IMHO. I probably need a better measurement session though. I only realised I needed a mic profile afterwards.

Top Bottom