• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For some reason the Roonbridge plugin on my SHD Studio stopped working.

Reinstall or update Volumio - the Roon bridge plugin is a Volumio feature. If nothing works you can reflash the SD card, I believe the steps are on the forum or just contact support

Last edited:

Jayce996

Hello there,
my speakers are some old JBL XPL200 which are giving their best with the unfindable DX1 crossover. In the meantime, i'm using a Behringher DCX2496 mimicing what the DX1 was doing for biamping these beauties
knowing the fact that the DCX2496 is limited (by its name) to 24bits/96Hz leading to limiting all outputs which ever they are. I was wondering in replacing it by a MiniDSP SHD streamer in order to not limit the sound quality.

I tried to se if my EMOTIVA XMC2 would be able to do it directly on its own, but it is not really possible.
So i'm looking at one additional gear such as the MiniDSP SHD. But the thing is that there would be 2 Dirac live processor processing the sound, (My EMOTIVA XMC2 & MiniDSP SHD)
do you think this would be acceptable/feasible/compatible? or should i need another type of crossover (analog) ?

thank for your help
anybody for my question?

nothingman

anybody for my question?

I’ll be honest, I can barely understand what you’re really asking. It seems like you’re going to replace the DCX2496 simply because it’s “only” 24/96? Does it sound bad? If not, leave it? Do you want to try something new, or want something with measurements for peace of mind? Go for it, I guess.

One thing, nothing says you actually have to run Dirac on both devices. Also, the SHD isn’t great for HT passthrough generally, so watch out for that.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
knowing the fact that the DCX2496 is limited (by its name) to 24bits/96Hz leading to limiting all outputs which ever they are. I was wondering in replacing it by a MiniDSP SHD streamer in order to not limit the sound quality.
With regard to sampling rate, the miniDSP SHD isn't "better".

SHD.PNG

nothingman

Hi folks - have a question to those of you with an SHD (probably aimed at the Neo3 hardware versions). Do you get any high pitched noise through your tweeter on startup and shutdown (a.k.a. standby, not the rear power switch)? As I was saying earlier, my SHD got repaired with a new main board, and this is a new behavior that wasn’t happening before I sent my unit off.

The tone sweeps upward on power up, and sweeps downward on power down. My SPL app indicates the sweeps are between about 4000hz and 7500hz, but I don't know how accurate that is (seems higher to me, like 10khz+). This was absolutely not happening before I sent in my unit for service. It’s not loud, but it’s certainly there. It’s a bit like nails on chalkboard, not only because it shares the same sound, but because it reminds me that I sent in my unit for service and now got something back that is behaving differently in a bad way.

The noise is independent of input, whether mute is engaged, or the volume setting. I also disconnected my USB 5V to mono-jack trigger cable (from SHD usb host to power amp trigger input) to see if that was causing any problems. No effect.

Wondering if anyone else is hearing this, or if something is uniquely off about my “repaired” unit. Thanks. I can’t catch a break, I guess.

jordant

Hi folks - have a question to those of you with an SHD (probably aimed at the Neo3 hardware versions). Do you get any high pitched noise through your tweeter on startup and shutdown (a.k.a. standby, not the rear power switch)? As I was saying earlier, my SHD got repaired with a new main board, and this is a new behavior that wasn’t happening before I sent my unit off.

The tone sweeps upward on power up, and sweeps downward on power down. My SPL app indicates the sweeps are between about 4000hz and 7500hz, but I don't know how accurate that is (seems higher to me, like 10khz+). This was absolutely not happening before I sent in my unit for service. It’s not loud, but it’s certainly there. It’s a bit like nails on chalkboard, not only because it shares the same sound, but because it reminds me that I sent in my unit for service and now got something back that is behaving differently in a bad way.

The noise is independent of input, whether mute is engaged, or the volume setting. I also disconnected my USB 5V to mono-jack trigger cable (from SHD usb host to power amp trigger input) to see if that was causing any problems. No effect.

Wondering if anyone else is hearing this, or if something is uniquely off about my “repaired” unit. Thanks. I can’t catch a break, I guess.
I haven't seen that behaviour on my SHD (purchased in past month so it should be NEO3), so yeah it seems like something related to the repair. Only real glitch I've had is that on occasion the screen stays on forever despite the auto-off setting.

Sorry to hear about how MiniDSP handled your failed unit - it's shame they aren't aiming higher in terms of customer service. If they are doing it because their margins are tight it seems like a false economy - if they made case a little fancier and had good support they could increase their prices substantially...

Hopefully there's good news on the Roon certification soon!

Last edited:

Nullproblemo

Forum Donor
I've got a new SHD in May. I noticed a constant noise while in standby mode which disappears once you switch the unit on. Strange behavior. My wife also heard a loud bang once, coming from the loudspeakers. She imagined the loudspeakers would break, so I guess it's not a tiny pop-on sound. I'm quite worried to operate the SHD now.
I thought I've read about similar behaviors here before, but sorted out with the latest software versions. As my SHD is brandnew from Hong Kong with the latest software, I didn't expect any such behaviors.

For the moment the only input is TV&Deezer TV app over optical and webradio over Lan.

SHD connected over XLR to purify amp from Boxem, speakers are BW 803 D3.

Any thoughts ?

nothingman

box itself

Ok, yeah, that’s something that has cropped up since the Neo3 and new power supply. I’m actually in the process of working with them on the same problem. I’m still getting the high pitched noise through the tweeters when going into standby, but then they also told me to listen to the power supply of the unit itself. Sure enough, in operating mode it’s silent, but in standby it makes a high pitched hum that warbles. It’s farily quiet, but it’s there, and I assume suggests a problem of some sort. Sure with they’d just replaced my whole unit!

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
My wife also heard a loud bang once, coming from the loudspeakers. She imagined the loudspeakers would break, so I guess it's not a tiny pop-on sound. I'm quite worried to operate the SHD now.

I've been getting popping sounds in certain situations - for example when changing the crossover settings on subwoofer or speakers sometimes they will pop loudly. Annoying, but I'm not that concerned because I don't change these settings often.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I've got a new SHD in May. I noticed a constant noise while in standby mode which disappears once you switch the unit on. Strange behavior. My wife also heard a loud bang once, coming from the loudspeakers. She imagined the loudspeakers would break, so I guess it's not a tiny pop-on sound. I'm quite worried to operate the SHD now.
I thought I've read about similar behaviors here before, but sorted out with the latest software versions. As my SHD is brandnew from Hong Kong with the latest software, I didn't expect any such behaviors.

For the moment the only input is TV&Deezer TV app over optical and webradio over Lan.

SHD connected over XLR to purify amp from Boxem, speakers are BW 803 D3.

Any thoughts ?

amps turned on after the shd powerup is a good practice, turn amps off first as well

most audio gizmos do strange shit on power up and down, my linkwitz 521 asp sounds like a bomb going off on power up, amps on after the rest of the chain

amper42

Major Contributor
While that may happen, it's not good design and doesn't need to work that way. :facepalm:

You won't find the RME ADI-2 DAC FS causing strange noises in your speakers if you don't follow a secret turn-on handshake. The Denon 4700 AVR doesn't have that issue either. I do have an old Adcom GFA-7000 that will make a thump when it turns on if the other gear is on... but it's 20 years old. And it will eventually be replaced. :D

Nullproblemo

Forum Donor
Actually I had to update the firmware too, even though I've got the SHD two months after the latest FW release.

Also the standby noise remains after doing the update. I took a risk by keeping the whole system running during the update process, I just lowered volume. It also produced the cracking sounds through the loudspeakers while shutting down/restarting.

As the amp has a wake function and powers down itself 10min after signal absence, I won't power it manually at any moment in time.

As always, I don't expect these kind of problems in a 1700 EUR device. It's not 150€. My 1200€ AVR didn't have any such issues for 15 years. I accept the fact that Minidsp is not mass production, but it's not the cheapest processor/dac in the market, rather the opposite.

Will contact support.

Nullproblemo

Forum Donor
I've been getting popping sounds in certain situations - for example when changing the crossover settings on subwoofer or speakers sometimes they will pop loudly. Annoying, but I'm not that concerned because I don't change these settings often.
It didn't happen during a settings change, rather no signal present on power on, than signal through optical in (TV in this case). Maybe my wife changed the input, but certainly not a setting.

nick-v

From the miniDSP Q2 newsletter regarding the SHD & Roon:

"As for Roon-Ready support, all SHD units have now been in the testing queue @ RoonLabs Mid-May. We're all patiently waiting for the results and we look forward to sharing more ASAP we hear from them."

brtd

Hey All,

Has anyone figured out a way to control the master volume of the SHD over IP in any way (outside of Volumio)?

Volumio isn't really cutting it for me, so I am using a little NUC-type thing as a Room endpoint for the time being, until the SHD becomes certified.

But I would prefer to use the master volume on the SHD vs the dap volume control in Roon. And I would appreciate doing this from my phone vs the remote.

Is this doable?

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey All,

Has anyone figured out a way to control the master volume of the SHD over IP in any way (outside of Volumio)?

Volumio isn't really cutting it for me, so I am using a little NUC-type thing as a Room endpoint for the time being, until the SHD becomes certified.

But I would prefer to use the master volume on the SHD vs the dap volume control in Roon. And I would appreciate doing this from my phone vs the remote.

Is this doable?
Even if dont use volumio for streaming, you can still use the interface from your phone for volume control right? You just enter the IP address of the device and volumio will show up.

Top Bottom