• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, can you please elaborate on the reasoning behind avoiding slopes higher than 24dB/octave?
Thanks!

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ew-updated-dsp-dac-streamer.18681/post-779299

Also some good info on Linkwitz on crossover phase distortion.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/phs-dist.htm
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/faq.htm#Q19

Dirac should have the ability to correct some crossover phase distortion but will quickly run out of processing power if you use steep, low frequency filters.

Michael

navrsale

No, I just boxed it up as the owner wants it back immediately. :(
Flexibility-wise, is it possible to replace Volumio with other player options like MPD, HQPlayer, Squeezelite, Roon endpoint?
Also, why did you choose not to test network input? It does not make sense if only 25% of inputs were tested (it would make sense if there is an option to select just that input that you tested preferably).

navrsale

I love my shd studio, which works perfectly fine as a Roon endpoint. I'm not really sure what people's issue is with the Roon aspect. I believe there is a Roon endpoint plugin that you just download.
The issue could be that Amir did not test network input and that network input has catastrophic fallacies (MSB recommends all sorts of things to mitigate problems with their Analog DAC network input). I think the vendor is hiding something big time, otherwise they would enable Amir to test this more thoroughly.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue could be that Amir did not test network input and that network input has catastrophic fallacies (MSB recommends all sorts of things to mitigate problems with their Analog DAC network input). I think the vendor is hiding something big time, otherwise they would enable Amir to test this more thoroughly.
What basis do you have that the network input has “catastrophic fallacies”? And what do you mean MiniDSP would enable Amir to test this more thoroughly? Amir chooses what/how to test. The units are sent in by owners Not from the vendors.

navrsale

I've been in a similar boat. It amazes me how there really is nothing like the SHD. I really don't know of any other ways you can get remotely in the ballpark of the same SINAD performance coupled with ability to do 10 bands of hardware PEQ. Further, that amazement extends to the HiFi market's lack of demand for hardware level DSP and PEQ abilities in general. It makes so much bigger a difference in sound than most upgrades you can do in your chain, yet most still crave a few dB in SINAD instead; let alone those still financially enslaving themselves to specless boutique products.
Is the DAC inside SHD worth $350 (a difference between SHD Studio and SHD)?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you dumb? I said: The issue could be that Amir did not test network input and that network input has catastrophic fallacies (MSB recommends all sorts of things to mitigate problems with their Analog DAC network input). I think the vendor is hiding something big time, otherwise they would enable Amir to test this more thoroughly.

I always assume the worst until someone like Amir measures proving me the wrong. Now, Amir did NOT measure network input, did he?
Appreciate the insult. So based on nothing, you think the manufacturer is hiding something. The product is catastrophically broken because Amir didn’t test it..... Claiming something is broken without any evidence makes no sense. But rather than argue, it is easier to add you to my ignore list.

Sonnie

Are you dumb?
How disrespectful... only 5 posts and you are already insulting members?
I think the vendor is hiding something big time, otherwise they would enable Amir to test this more thoroughly.
Now who's dumb? He just got thru telling you that Amir decides what to test, and the vendor did not supply this to Amir. This SHD unit actually came from me. You have zero basis for your speculation... and you are apparently a troll. I think Dj is right... you'll get a lot of ignores here with that kind of attitude.
Amir chooses what/how to test. The units are sent in by owners Not from the vendors.

navrsale

What basis do you have that the network input has “catastrophic fallacies”? And what do you mean MiniDSP would enable Amir to test this more thoroughly? Amir chooses what/how to test. The units are sent in by owners Not from the vendors.
Is it a discussion by arguments or who gives more money his argument wins?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is it a discussion by arguments or who gives more money his argument wins?

What are you talking about? Who is giving money?

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Connect it to $750 SMSL M400 (also measured favorably by Amir) and the combo beats the big brother big time for just $100 more.
No it doesn't. Despite your obvious displays of Dunning-Kruger towards other members, I'll humbly explain. The DSP processor comes after the DAC in the signal chain, therefore its SINAD overrides the SINAD of the DAC. The SMSL M400's SINAD of 120 dB doesn't matter if the SHD's SINAD is 112. Further, MiniDSP claims the SHD Studio has 112 dB SINAD like the SHD, but a measurement by Amir would likely reveal the SHD Studio to perform worse than the SHD, given how MiniDSP previously inflated the SHD's SINAD.
Plus, the SHD Studio only outputs to 2 channels compared to the SHD's 4, and the Studio's need of an external DAC doesn't help space savings with its already chunkier form factor.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Plus, the SHD Studio only outputs to 2 channels compared to the SHD's 4, and the Studio's need of an external DAC doesn't help space savings with its already chunkier form factor.

The Studio has two 2 stereo outputs, either SPDIF or AES/EBU, so the same 4 channels.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
The Studio has two 2 stereo outputs, either SPDIF or AES/EBU, so the same 4 channels.
That's two separate digital stereo outputs, not four channels that can operate at the same time.

navrsale

No it doesn't. Despite your obvious displays of Dunning-Kruger towards other members, I'll humbly explain. The DSP processor comes after the DAC in the signal chain, therefore its SINAD overrides the SINAD of the DAC. The SMSL M400's SINAD of 120 dB doesn't matter if the SHD's SINAD is 112. Further, MiniDSP claims the SHD Studio has 112 dB SINAD like the SHD, but a measurement by Amir would likely reveal the SHD Studio to perform worse than the SHD, given how MiniDSP previously inflated the SHD's SINAD.
According to Hans Berkausen DSP processor comes before the DAC not after.

Daverz

Major Contributor
That's two separate digital stereo outputs, not four channels that can operate at the same time.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. There are two stereo digital outputs that can operate at the same time.

EDIT: this is the routing diagram for all the SHD devices:

routing.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom