• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Hi,
i am a new member
I'm interested in the miniDSP SHD
How work the streamer with Qobuz ?
Many thanks

Connect a cheap Chromecast Audio to the SHD optical input. This way you can stream using the standard Qobus app. I stream Tidal this way. It works perfectly. You can even power the CCA from the SHD USB connector.

I believe Volumio has Qubuz integrated in its UI. However, I wouldn’t expect it to be as good as the standard Qobus app.

FFeller

Hi FFeller,

I have no experience with Qbuzz on the miniDSP. I do not see an out-of-the-box plugin for Qobuz in Volumio on the miniDSP SHD Studio. My experience with Tidal on Volumio are not the great either because of the lack of Tidal features that are not exposed in Volumio. Spotify Connect work prefect on Volumio on the miniDSP SHD. Tidal has Tidal Connect which is available in the latest Volumio version but is at this moment not released yet on the Volumio edition in the miniDSP SHD.

Because Apple has made HiFi audio available with no additional cost, I believe there are a lot of changes coming in the near future of audio streaming. So exiting for us audio enthusiasts ☺️
many thanks for your advice and suggestions

P.S.:
congratulations on your 8c
I'm waiting for the Neumann KH-310

FFeller

Connect a cheap Chromecast Audio to the SHD optical input. This way you can stream using the standard Qobus app. I stream Tidal this way. It works perfectly. You can even power the CCA from the SHD USB connector.

I believe Volumio has Qubuz integrated in its UI. However, I wouldn’t expect it to be as good as the standard Qobus app.

dvmierlo

P.S.:
congratulations on your 8c
I'm waiting for the Neumann KH-310

Hi FFeller,

Thank you :). I hope you can enjoy your new Neumann speakers very soon!

I have to come back on my comment that I could not find an option for Qobuz in Volumio on the miniDSP. There is an option in Volumio to connect to your Qobuz account. I made a screenshot of it. My apology for the incorrect information.

Lot’s of greetings, Dennis

Robert Glasper, Erykah Badu - Afro Blue.png

FFeller

Hi FFeller,

Thank you :). I hope you can enjoy your new Neumann speakers very soon!

I have to come back on my comment that I could not find an option for Qobuz in Volumio on the miniDSP. There is an option in Volumio to connect to your Qobuz account. I made a screenshot of it. My apology for the incorrect information.

Lot’s of greetings, Dennis

View attachment 131750
Hi Dennis,
this is a very good news

Many thanks

FFeller

Minidsp SHD handles it as 2.0, while the NAD C658 handles it as either 2.1 or 2.2. That’s the main reason I got the latter. If it makes an audible difference, I don’t know
Hi,
I'm undecided between NAD C658 and miniDSP SHD
does the C658 work well as a preamplifier?

Many thanks

Dathzo

Hi,
I'm undecided between NAD C658 and miniDSP SHD
does the C658 work well as a preamplifier?

Many thanks
That’s the million-dollar question :). I have gotten the C658 in a pretty basic basic setup:

Hooked to active speakers and a sub. I will be adding a second sub soon. I use the optical inputs, and I stream music using Roon. I have a music library and subscriptions to both Qobuz and Tidal, but I’m planning to ditch the latter at some point.

I posted this earlier, but perhaps an updated version:

What I like about the NAD compared to the miniDSP:

1- Better implementation of DIRAC LIVE (and an App to control it wirelessly).
2. Roon ready (it may come in the minidsp soon, but waiting for ages already)
3. Sub-correction through Dirac, dedicated sub channels for Dirac correction (while in miniDSP you can only use Dirac as 2.0, NAD allows to do 2.1 or 2.2)
4. Dirac Live Bass Control is supposed to be in the works (announced in 2019 though, https://www.dirac.com/news/2019/8/21/dirac-live-bass-management-at-cedia-2019)
5. Headphone out
6. Trigger in/out
7. 5-years guarantee
8. BlueOS instead of Volumio
9. Bluetooth both ways (receiving/sending)
10. Tidal connect (but I plan to stay with Qobuz)
11. The unit was buggy when released, but there have been massive improvements with time and I expect them to keep coming

What I like about the miniDSP compared to the NAD:

1. Flexibility on the crossovers/slopes and independent channel customization
2. PEq on top of DIRAC LIVE
3. Possibility to use REW filters
4. Better SINAD as measured by ASR (112 vs 90db)
5. Ships with Dirac Live full (extra 99usd in the C658 as it comes up to 500Hz)
6. Does not have MQA (some see it as a benefit from the C658 ;))
7. Digital out

I would love to do an A/B testing of the two systems, but I don’t have the minidsp SHD. I have run Dirac measurements using a UMIK-1 microphone and it does wonders in my room. I have created filters for low volume (<75db) and high volume (>75db) and I like the sound a lot.

Let me know if you have any question, I’m happy to help

Last edited:

FFeller

That’s the million-dollar question :). I have gotten the C658 in a pretty basic basic setup:

Hooked to active speakers and a sub. I will be adding a second sub soon. I use the optical inputs, and I stream music using Roon. I have a music library and subscriptions to both Qobuz and Tidal, but I’m planning to ditch the latter at some point.

I posted this earlier, but perhaps an updated version:

What I like about the NAD compared to the miniDSP:

1- Better implementation of DIRAC LIVE (and an App to control it wirelessly).
2. Roon ready (it may come in the minidsp soon, but waiting for ages already)
3. Sub-correction through Dirac, dedicated sub channels for Dirac correction (while in miniDSP you can only use Dirac as 2.0, NAD allows to do 2.1 or 2.2)
4. Dirac Live Bass Control is supposed to be in the works (announced in 2019 though, https://www.dirac.com/news/2019/8/21/dirac-live-bass-management-at-cedia-2019)
5. Headphone out
6. Trigger in/out
7. 5-years guarantee
8. BlueOS instead of Volumio
9. Bluetooth both ways (receiving/sending)
10. Tidal connect (but I plan to stay with Qobuz)
11. The unit was buggy when released, but there have been massive improvements with time and I expect them to keep coming

What I like about the miniDSP compared to the NAD:

1. Flexibility on the crossovers/slopes and independent channel customization
2. PEq on top of DIRAC LIVE
3. Possibility to use REW filters
4. Better SINAD as measured by ASR (112 vs 90db)
5. Ships with Dirac Live full (extra 99usd in the C658 as it comes up to 500Hz)
6. Does not have MQA (some see it as a benefit from the C658 ;))
7. Digital out

I would love to do an A/B testing of the two systems, but I don’t have the minidsp SHD. I have run Dirac measurements using a UMIK-1 microphone and it does wonders in my room. I have created filters for low volume (<75db) and high volume (>75db) and I like the sound a lot.

Let me know if you have any question, I’m happy to help
Many Many tnx for this complete comparison
I have a question, and with Google trasnslator I try to formulate it:

with the arrival of the Neumann KH-310, I would need to pilot two systems with a single source (the NAD in this case):
- Pass Labs XA30.5 final -> Tannoy SRM-12X + ML Dynamo 800X
- the Neumann KH-310 + ML Dynamo 800X ( if necessary)
Can the NAD memorize the measurements made with Dirac in these two scenarios, making the appropriate improvements, so that I can recall one or the other correction depending on whether I listen with the first or with the second setup?
In terms of connections from the NAD I would go to the Pass in RCA and also to the sub, while the Neumanns I would connect them in XLR

Sorry for my bad english

Dathzo

Many Many tnx for this complete comparison
I have a question, and with Google trasnslator I try to formulate it:

with the arrival of the Neumann KH-310, I would need to pilot two systems with a single source (the NAD in this case):
- Pass Labs XA30.5 final -> Tannoy SRM-12X + ML Dynamo 800X
- the Neumann KH-310 + ML Dynamo 800X ( if necessary)
Can the NAD memorize the measurements made with Dirac in these two scenarios, making the appropriate improvements, so that I can recall one or the other correction depending on whether I listen with the first or with the second setup?
In terms of connections from the NAD I would go to the Pass in RCA and also to the sub, while the Neumanns I would connect them in XLR

Sorry for my bad english
the NAD is able to store up to 5 Dirac filters so you can potentially store 2 filters for each system and still have one slot to spare. Of course, you can turn the filters off so you can compare both systems without correction as well

Keep in mind that both XLR and RCA are active at the same time and they send the same output, but you can do the comparison you want easily

FFeller

the NAD is able to store up to 5 Dirac filters so you can potentially store 2 filters for each system and still have one slot to spare. Of course, you can turn the filters off so you can compare both systems without correction as well

Keep in mind that both XLR and RCA are active at the same time and they send the same output, but you can do the comparison you want easily
Hi @Dathzo
tnx for the information.
at this point the NAD would seem like the right choice for me
Mumble mumble :) :)

gkkpch

Volumio version but is at this moment not released yet on the Volumio edition in the miniDSP SHD
It will come, the Volumio Team is currently checking with Tidal whether the TC SDK can be used with OEM releases.
If Tidal is OK with it, all OEM releases will get a TC update, incl. MiniDSP.

dvmierlo

It will come, the Volumio Team is currently checking with Tidal whether the TC SDK can be used with OEM releases.
If Tidal is OK with it, all OEM releases will get a TC update, incl. MiniDSP.
That’s good news. And if Tidal lowers their HiFi price to the same as Apple Music, that will be very good news :)

SinaHakman

How does this work with multiple DAC clocks? Do the DAC clocks slave to the SHD?
On my setup, SHD Studio has two 24/96 SPDIF outs that goes to the SPDIF inputs of two separate DACs, namely S.M.S.L. SU-9 which drives the main speakers and Rega DAC-R which drives a subwoofer (only a single one currently). Both DACs use their own clocks.

Daverz

Major Contributor
On my setup, SHD Studio has two 24/96 SPDIF outs that goes to the SPDIF inputs of two separate DACs, namely S.M.S.L. SU-9 which drives the main speakers and Rega DAC-R which drives a subwoofer (only a single one currently). Both DACs use their own clocks.

But somehow there's not drift between the clocks of the different DACs so that the subwoofer gets out of sync with the mains? I was thinking that using SPDIF would keep them in sync with the SHD, but I've never understood this aspect of digital i/o.

Anyway, I was considering the SHD, but I already have a couple DACs I can use with the SHD Studio. That would save me $350, and presumably I'd benefit from the better SINAD of my gear (probably an inaudible difference, though). However the SHD has analog inputs and would be simpler.

Last edited:

SinaHakman

But somehow there's not drift between the clocks of the different DACs so that the subwoofer gets out of sync with the mains?
SPDIF has clock signals and this should be enough to keep them in sync. In any case, for syncing with subwoofers, the delay I introduced to main channels are in milliseconds, so any smaller timing difference shouldn’t be an issue.

However the SHD has analog inputs and would be simpler.
If you have analog sources, the ability to run them through DSP and especially Dirac Live should be pretty nice. Unfortunately SHD Studio doesn’t provide that, as you say.

Daverz

Major Contributor
SPDIF has clock signals and this should be enough to keep them in sync.

Yes, I think my worry about clock drift only applies to asynchronous connections like USB. I think this is why the miniDSP manuals only mention latency as an issue.

If you have analog sources, the ability to run them through DSP and especially Dirac Live should be pretty nice. Unfortunately SHD Studio doesn’t provide that, as you say.

Worth the extra $350, I think, considering the cost of a good standalone ADC.

But I also realized that the nanoDSP would probably be enough to get me started. No Dirac and limited PEQs, but I really just need basic crossover features for adding subwoofer(s) to a basic stereo system. (I've been using brutefir on the music server to do my room correction, so no burning need for Dirac). The downside is no nice volume display. If the miniDSP works out, I'll think about the more expensive gear.

I also have an Behringer Ultradrive Pro DCX2496 I've been experimenting with. I feed it's AES/EBU input using my Topping D10 and an RCA to XLR cable. But this thing has has a very noisy old DAC.

alont

Forum Donor
. Set crossovers - 80Hz is my go to and I wouldn't go any lower. I would only go higher if it helps fill a null and is still not localizable. Do not use crossovers with slopes higher than 24dB

Hey, can you please elaborate on the reasoning behind avoiding slopes higher than 24dB/octave?
Thanks!

Top Bottom