• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If the data stream is not over USB, but over the network via Roon (or any other streaming app), do we think that has any impact on any of the results?

My guess is "probably not", but just checking.
I have tested that on numerous devices and performance has always been the same as USB. That is using Roon as endpoint. If you use Airplay (which also shows up in Roon) then bad things happen with both truncation and resampling.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I purchased before they started including their own Wi-Fi adapter So I purchased one on my own. I only stream via WiFi and have never had any issues with the following adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IFXQFU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Not saying it will work perfectly for everyone, but it has worked very well for me.
That’s a good tip. Another option if you do not have an Ethernet point nearby is to get some kind of wifi repeater/booster which also has an ethernet out and plug it into an ac outlet nearby

win

This used to be the way it worked. And existing users are grandfathered in by Roon. But any new users cannot use that Volumio plug-in as it is not certified by Roon. It will refuse to let you connect to it. That is what happened to me with another product I recently tested. With this one since I had used in the in the past, it would allow me to access it.

I bought mine last month though

PeteL

Major Contributor
Sorry i misunderstood your question, I thought you were talking about outs not ins.

i do not use the RCA or XLR in but the inputs are selectable via the remote so it should be designed for the use case of being able to connect both inputs at the same time.
Thanks, that make sense to have them switchable, but it was not a given from the specification sheet, or the way they are labeled.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Good to see that they are trying to improve but why did it get a golfing panther @amirm ?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I just boxed it up as the owner wants it back immediately. :(
Thanks, wonderful job and short on time. I too am interested in the ADC/DSP analog & digital as I want to replace my Behringer with something more up to date. Hopefully by the time I am ready to do something (by the third qtr next year) there will be more info on this & perhaps some others. Keep up the good work. (Or perhaps I should say "the good fight") against idiotic marketing with useless specs.

PeteL

Major Contributor
If the data stream is not over USB, but over the network via Roon (or any other streaming app), do we think that has any impact on any of the results?

My guess is "probably not", but just checking.
My two cents on this. Yes it'll measure the same. But I know we really like the performance, convenience and universality of USB, but, audio over IP is fundamentally better to transport audio. We are still at a place where there are not enough consensus, many players pulling the blanket. But in 2020 this makes so much more sense, down the line, there is simply no reason to have to be dependant on how well the source you are connected to has been engineered to insure performance, there is no reason to only be able to travel a few meters before all goes down, there is no reason to not be able to guarantee data integrity. Yes there is still too many quirks, and the price is still prohibitive, but I don't see how Network based audio could not become the standard in a few years.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

win

Are you using Roon endpoint or airplay? Does it have a red tag warning it is not certified?

roon endpoint, yes. I am about 80% that it had that red label. Roon core had no issue recognizing it either and it gets the correct bit depth as well, unlike airplay.

win

Thanks, wonderful job and short on time. I too am interested in the ADC/DSP analog & digital as I want to replace my Behringer with something more up to date. Hopefully by the time I am ready to do something (by the third qtr next year) there will be more info on this & perhaps some others. Keep up the good work. (Or perhaps I should say "the good fight") against idiotic marketing with useless specs.

check out the venu360. The adc (and dac) on it are quite good.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My two cents on this. Yes it'll measure the same. But I know we really like the performance, convenience and universality of USB, but, audio over IP is fundamentally better to transport audio. We are still at a place where there are not enough consensus, many players pulling the blanket. But in 2020 this makes so much more sense, down the line, there is simply no reason to have to be dependant on how well the source you are connected to has been engineered to insure performance, there is no reason to only be able to travel a few meters before all goes down, there is no reason to not be able to guarantee data integrity. Yes there is still too many quirks, and the price is still prohibitive, but I don't see how Network based audio could not become the standard in a few years.

With Roon, only 1 out of my 3 endpoints uses USB.

The other 2 use either RAAT or Devialet Air, both of which ride on top of TCP/IP.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@amirm would you be able to test how this unit functions as an ADC? A lot of folks on here have expressed interest in seeing how it measures this way. This feature further separates the SHD from other similar options. Thanks.
Here's a nice thread started by @exaudio: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-the-same-ballpark-as-rme-adi-2-pro-fs.10387/ and I do hope he could jump up with some comments here too. It would also nice to find out what RMS voltage was applied to the ADC.

index.php

Very low noise, harmonics below -140 dB

xykreinov

Forum Donor
I was just thinking about and researching getting an SHD yesterday, and wanting an updated version of the SHD review... This isn't the first time I've thought about a specific piece/type of audio gear only for a related review by amir to come out soon after. I think the last time, it was electrostats. Go figure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hayabusa

I bought my SHD one year ago. Can I find out somehow by the serial number or other means if I have this new version?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I bought my SHD one year ago. Can I find out somehow by the serial number or other means if I have this new version?
Best to ask the company. I know they told me a while back that they had updated it so you are probably good.

The Capstan

One point on pricing Amirm. I see the model you reviewed is actually 1.659€ from Audiophonics in EU (usually they have one of best online pricing around), whereas the MiniDSP SHD Studio (model SDRC-2D essentially same features including Volumio streamer but 2 channels out, no ADC) is 1.049€.
As far as I am concerned the “little baby” is more tailored to my needs. It would be interesting to see how if it performs compared to its big brother...

Ale.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
One point on pricing Amirm. I see the model you reviewed is actually 1.659€ from Audiophonics in EU (usually they have one of best online pricing around), whereas the MiniDSP SHD Studio (model SDRC-2D essentially same features including Volumio streamer but 2 channels out, no ADC) is 1.049€.
As far as I am concerned the “little baby” is more tailored to my needs. It would be intere if it performs the same as the big brother...

Ale.
The "little baby" doesn't have a DAC. It's not comparable.

Top Bottom