• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

supersergios

I had the same misconception before. Bass is tricky!! If you send mono signal to both subs, you still be able to adjust the phase and delay of each sub separately. In minidsp phase and delay are controlled after the input, so no problems.
The advantages to have two subs reside os the ability to smooth the Bass frequencies at listening positions. With two subs, one helps another to get this. The greater amount of subs you put in the room, the better the Bass will be.
Regarding the signal in mono, Bass frequencies under 80hz are ominidiretional, you can’t localize it, also it’s easier to to integrate mono singnals because they are equal.
about a single subwoofer I understand, many subwoofers flatten the signal, yes yes, I understand. I understand that the Flex can output 2 and 4 as a mono signal, I don't know how to do this.

Having two subwoofers one on each side, configure them in mono? What's the point if you have two? I do not get it.
The best thing would be if they were in stereo so that they give the bass separately. if we put the two together in mono, we will have to adjust phases as well. and it is the most important thing. know if it adjusts phase and delay

(I cannot change the position of the subwoofers since it is not a dedicated room, it is a living room)
Regarding the position of the sub, I had the same misconception, again. I had always put the sub near the speakers, but in most cases these are the worst places to put the subs. Then I broke the rules and found in my living Roon places where the Bass was much better, near the sofas, near opposite walls, and so on, without bother my Wife….

about a single subwoofer I understand, many subwoofers flatten the signal, yes yes, I understand. I understand that the Flex can output 2 and 4 as a mono signal, I don't know how to do this.
In the drawing you sent before, just checked all four buttons of the 3 and 4 outputs

supersergios

Can I draw from the XLR (2 & 4) output, conventional RCA cable? with adapter? because I already have a 2x4 MiniDSp that I have the subwoofers adjusted

supersergios

In the drawing you sent before, just checked all four buttons of the 3 and 4 outputs
22E40C10-C177-4E06-831E-697612746F7A.jpeg

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good morning, yes, I have also thought about the Flex model, I wonder if the quality will be the same as in this SHD or in the Flex it will be somewhat lower, I would not want to have the sssssssh sound in the tweeter.

Both you Boerd and Nick-v, have the SHD instead of the Flex, which one you recommend as better in sound quality and less noise (no tweeter noise if possible)? Thanks

The Flex is actually lower noise than the SHD. Amir measured a dynamic range of 116 dB for the SHD and 118 dB for the Flex (I believe both were measured at 4 V output).

You shouldn’t have any tweeter hiss with either unless you have a very high gain or noisy amplifier.

Michael

D

Deleted member 4708

Good morning, yes, I have also thought about the Flex model, I wonder if the quality will be the same as in this SHD or in the Flex it will be somewhat lower, I would not want to have the sssssssh sound in the tweeter.

Both you Boerd and Nick-v, have the SHD instead of the Flex, which one you recommend as better in sound quality and less noise (no tweeter noise if possible)? Thanks
The flex has been measured and it is slightly more accurate than the SHD: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-flex.28660/

supersergios

Antonio,
I don't understand your selection,
do you enter through “in 1” and exit through 1 - 2 and 3?

nick-v

For me the SHD was necessary because I use Roon for music in all my systems throughout the house.

The Flex looks tremendous if you don't need Roon.

supersergios

For me the SHD was necessary because I use Roon for music in all my systems throughout the house.

I use Roon, but I take it to my Dac Tooping D90SE from the PC via USB to the Dac.

So I will be able to continue using it, and I understand that my Dac is better than the internal MiniDSP itself.
I would use the Flex as a preamp and as a room equalizer

D

Deleted member 4708

I use the Volumio integration with Qobuz. Very good.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
Funny story… recently moved house and set up my 2.1 using SHD with xover and ran Dirac Live calibration…something just didn’t sound right afterwards. It turns out I had my left/right channels routed backwards!

The reason is that the USB inputs in the SHD app routing panel are right channel on the left and left channel on the right. Obviously I should have checked this to be sure…recommend everyone else does it too.

nick-v

Funny story… recently moved house and set up my 2.1 using SHD with xover and ran Dirac Live calibration…something just didn’t sound right afterwards. It turns out I had my left/right channels routed backwards!

The reason is that the USB inputs in the SHD app routing panel are right channel on the left and left channel on the right. Obviously I should have checked this to be sure…recommend everyone else does it too.
I did the same thing a few weeks ago when I temporarily wired the front XLR outputs from my JBL SDP-55 to my JBL SDA-7120.

With unfamiliar music, you'd never notice but with familiar music I noticed something was up. When the proper length XLR's arrived, I corrected it when I wired the SDP-55 to the SDA-2200 that permanently powers my HDI-3800 Front L/R.

I received my Minidsp SHD recently and wanted to provide some feedback regarding the ADC. The main reason I purchased the SHD was so that I could connect two tape decks - a Nargra IV-S and a Revox B77. Well, they've never sounded better, so I would guess that the analogue to digital conversion is very well implemented. I'm extremely happy to say the least. Next thing will be to play around with room measurements, but that's for another day!

TomJ

The flex has been measured and it is slightly more accurate than the SHD: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-flex.28660/
The Flex has half the resolution of the SHD on its outputs when it runs Dirac. The SHD processes the signal at 96k with and without Dirac. The Flex operates at 96k running the miniDSP-2x4-HD plug-in without Dirac, or at 48k running the DDRC-24 plugin which applies the Dirac filter.

That's why the SHD multi-tone result looks as it does, because the test signal is at 192k and the SHD downsamples it to 96k.

Last edited:
Top Bottom