• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

tw99

I've got my SHD display set to wake up only when a button is pressed, otherwise it's off. This works well for me, and removes any risk of screen degradation.

Jimshoe

That is great to know. Is the new display improved and more immune to this or is it just the nature of the device that you need to dim right away?
I don't know, it looks exactly the same.

Sonny1

I had exactly the same problem - exacerbated by not setting the display to dim right down when not in use. Positively, I sent an email to MiniDSP and they send me a new display. Easy to install.

Doug

Great to know! I was dreading the thought of replacing a display or sending it to Hong Kong for service. Thanks

Jimshoe

Great to know! I was dreading the thought of replacing a display or sending it to Hong Kong for service. Thanks
Its a five minute job. No soldering or anything. Open the case, unplug the board, pop in the replacement and button it up again. Done

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I leave my shd on most of the time, the oled display is pretty "splotchy" currently I think it is slowly degrading. It still works fine and hard to notice from a couple feet away. However at the device it looks pretty bad. Its only a year or so old

Is this my fault for leaving it constantly powered. I don't care too much if it doesn't get much worse, but a bit disappointing.

As well as whether the screen is left on, note that there was a firmware update from January 2021 which stated a change as, "Reduced refresh rate to protect OLED display." I'd make sure you've updated to this if you haven't already, noting it is a firmware update not the 'plugin'.

nick-v

My SHD showed up a couple weeks ago with all the latest firmware installed. I was able to configure it as a Roon Ready device without updating anything.

I have the rack mostly completed (awaiting AC infinity Cloudplate T-1 intake (bottom) and outlet (top)). Now I'm just waiting for my Wisdom Audio in-wall speakers and the system will be complete.

20220102_084237.jpg

Ultrasonic

@nick-v haven't you rather blocked the cooling vents on the top of your SHD there?

Should have checked first...

Last edited:

nick-v

@nick-v haven't you rather blocked the cooling vents on the top of your SHD there?
It's temporary (the system isn't in use yet).

That 8-port switch is coming out and a vented blank plate will replace it.

The main switch in the network cabinet is getting upgraded to a 24 port switch and then I need to run some cat6 from the network cabinet to this rack under the stairs.

Ultrasonic

Actually, the vents are on the side aren't they!

nick-v

Actually, the vents are on the side aren't they!
Haha, well I still don't love the idea of the switch stacked directly on top (even though I'm sure it's fine).

The plan is still to move the switch out and put a vented blank plate in its place, but maybe I'll put the vented panel in between the NAD C298 and the SHD so the SHD isn't blocking the top vents on the amp...

Last edited:

cheapsoundguy

I just purchased one of these. I have B+W 702 S2 speakers, and I am curious if the DIRAC will make them sound better, worse, or neither. It's a bit of a science experiment, but let's be honest, that's part of what this audiophillia is about....

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just purchased one of these. I have B+W 702 S2 speakers, and I am curious if the DIRAC will make them sound better, worse, or neither. It's a bit of a science experiment, but let's be honest, that's part of what this audiophillia is about....

Since "sound better" is subjective, go ahead and make up your own mind.
I prefer after measurements, but ultimately, I just use what I like best.

- Rich

minus3dB

Haha, well I still don't love the idea of the switch stacked directly on top (even though I'm sure it's fine).

The plan is still to move the switch out and put a vented blank plate in its place, but maybe I'll put the vented panel in between the NAD C298 and the SHD so the SHD isn't blocking the top vents on the amp...
I'd definitely put some space between the C298 and the SHD. The C298 has its Purify modules mounded vertically with corresponding internal heat sinks that need to exhaust that heat somewhere, preferably directly above. You might consider keeping an eye on the temp of the underside of the SHD case in that area (believe it's in the left rear quadrant of the C298's case) just to make sure its not getting cooked. Yes, they're Class D modules but they're only highly efficient at the highest output power levels. Nice clean signal chain BTW. I may have to get my hands on one of those 298s.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd definitely put some space between the C298 and the SHD. The C298 has its Purify modules mounded vertically with corresponding internal heat sinks that need to exhaust that heat somewhere, preferably directly above. You might consider keeping an eye on the temp of the underside of the SHD case in that area (believe it's in the left rear quadrant of the C298's case) just to make sure its not getting cooked. Yes, they're Class D modules but they're only highly efficient at the highest output power levels. Nice clean signal chain BTW. I may have to get my hands on one of those 298s.
Interesting. I own the C298, usually play my system at 95-100 dB SPL, and the amplifier never gets even mildly warm to the touch.

minus3dB

Interesting. I own the C298, usually play my system at 95-100 dB SPL, and the amplifier never gets even mildly warm to the touch.

Do you have its ventilation completely obstructed? Refer to the safety warnings on page 2 of the users manual regarding ventilation and placement. It specifically requires at least 10 cm which is a little more than 2U around the amplifier. Similar guidance on page 4 under Notes for Installation. It warns against installing in enclosed spaces including in cabinets and enclosed racks without appropriate cooling. I see that he plans to use forced air cooling in a closed rack design which should be fine as long as he has adequate CFM for the overall thermal load in the rack and he uses ventilation spacers above and preferably also below the amplifier.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have its ventilation completely obstructed? Refer to the safety warnings on page 2 of the users manual regarding ventilation and placement. It specifically requires at least 10 cm which is a little more than 2U around the amplifier. Similar guidance on page 4 under Notes for Installation. It warns against installing in enclosed spaces including in cabinets and enclosed racks without appropriate cooling. I see that he plans to use forced air cooling in a closed rack design which should be fine as long as he has adequate CFM for the overall thermal load in the rack and he uses ventilation spacers above and preferably also below the amplifier.
My C298 is in an enclosed cabinet. A Bluesound Node and Topping D30Pro sit directly on top of it. No warmth at all. (Note that I nonetheless do not suggest ignoring manufacturer recommendations in the egregious manner I have described. :oops:)

brtd

I'm going back and forth with MiniDSP Support about my clicks/pops with high bit rate content via Roon (SHD as endpoint over network).

Support thought it was a wifi issue, but hardwiring didn't solve it. Nor did maxing out the buffers in the SHD. It might have improved it (maybe?), but not a solution.

I had no such problem when using a small computer as the Roon core connected via USB to the SHD. But now that we have "Roon Ready" certification, I don't want that extra device in play and have moved the Roon Core to a server on the network (where all the audio content is stored, and from which the small PC was accessing files wirelessly in my original config).

I've seen some comments here about this... Wondering if anyone has this problem persistently.

Norway

I am planning on using my SHD with two First Watt F4 on my Altec VOTT A4s. Will I run into problems with not enough output voltage!? The VOTT s are 110 db/1W + but the First Watt F4 have 0 gain….

Attachments

• A92B8441-0ACB-4B0F-BDA7-0E5B6C9D352C.jpeg
    A92B8441-0ACB-4B0F-BDA7-0E5B6C9D352C.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 75

cheapsoundguy

I have a quick update. I received by MiniDSP SHD about 3 days after purchasing it, which was really impressive.

I unboxed it and installed the software on my PC laptop. I decided to go for the 17 measurement "wide" stage for the DIRAC live setup.

I am absolutely stunned by how much better my B&W 702 S2 speakers sound with this compared to the other DACs I was using. It's tremendous.

I love my other DACs, but they are going to be used as headphone DACs now. This is clearly what I needed for my odd room and colored B&W speakers.

Best ~$1300 I've spent in a while.

Last edited:
Top Bottom