• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

kokoon

Forum Donor
Yeah sure, it doesn't have the certification, but you can use it after installing roon bridge. There aren't any more sound glitches since last update.

whitfc

Yeah sure, it doesn't have the certification, but you can use it after installing roon bridge. There aren't any more sound glitches since last update.
What improvements will certification have over roon bridge?

Karu

Forum Donor
My cable provider does everything via its Apple TV app, so all my TV/Movies go via TV’s optical out to SHD, and the Apple TV sound calibration is a must, otherwise the delay in sound is annoying.

nick-v

Does it do full RAAT? I use Roon throughout the house in every system, is it able to "Group" with other systems as it is currently? I'm assuming it's currently a standalone solution.

radix

Major Contributor
Does it do full RAAT? I use Roon throughout the house in every system, is it able to "Group" with other systems as it is currently? I'm assuming it's currently a standalone solution.

It uses the Roon plugin for Volumio. I'm not sure of the compatibility level, but it is a certified driver.

Epos7

Are there any options for adding additional inputs to the SHD? I have ordered a Parasound P6 to use as a preamp, primarily for its home theater bypass function. However, I want to add Dirac to my system eventually, and was have been considering adding a 2x4 HD to the subwoofer outputs on the P6.

I'm realizing that I may be better off with an SHD, as it would give me full DSP. The major things it may not provide are more than two analog inputs, and home theater bypass type functionality. While it may not have a featured named as such, I wonder if one of the inputs could effectively be configured that way?

ebslo

Forum Donor
I'm realizing that I may be better off with an SHD, as it would give me full DSP. The major things it may not provide are more than two analog inputs, and home theater bypass type functionality. While it may not have a featured named as such, I wonder if one of the inputs could effectively be configured that way?
No, it can't. It only has 2 logical input channels. You can select a single source (RCA, XLR, TOSLINK, SPDIF, USB, etc) for these two channels, but all four outputs can only be derived from these two channels. There is no way to simultaneously drive, say, out 1+2 from XLR and out 3+4 from RCA.

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
Are there any options for adding additional inputs to the SHD? I have ordered a Parasound P6 to use as a preamp, primarily for its home theater bypass function. However, I want to add Dirac to my system eventually, and was have been considering adding a 2x4 HD to the subwoofer outputs on the P6.

I made an external switch box for use with the SHD. It has 4 XLR source selections and 4 RCA source selections with independent outputs for both to the SHD. I used quality Goldpoint switches and OFC wire. I then use the SHD for XLR or RCA input selection. I added redundant outputs to the switch box to use for analog recording which is very convenient.

Attachments

• 02ABFC90-8A94-434F-846F-EFDD3C26DE40.jpeg
    02ABFC90-8A94-434F-846F-EFDD3C26DE40.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

bartgign

Hello all ! I Just have a question about Mini DSP SHD. I have one and i love it.

When usine REW, on the EQ section, i have to chose a Mini DSP filter at 96Khz ?

Is it correct ?

Thanks

ebslo

Forum Donor
Hello all ! I Just have a question about Mini DSP SHD. I have one and i love it.

When usine REW, on the EQ section, i have to chose a Mini DSP filter at 96Khz ?

Is it correct ?

Thanks
No, select "miniDSP 2x4 HD" as the eq section in the SHD is compatible with that device.

Reference: See the list of key settings for REW just under the plot in Section 2 of the Sub Integration with the SHD guide.

Photony83

quick question... I been itching to try a new DAC like the denafrips line to see it makes any difference.. Can I somehow connect the denafrips to my SHD? or do I have to get something like the Studio to allow for different DACs?

ebslo

Forum Donor
quick question... I been itching to try a new DAC like the denafrips line to see it makes any difference.. Can I somehow connect the denafrips to my SHD? or do I have to get something like the Studio to allow for different DACs?
SHD has 2 SPDIF outputs (4 channels total), so yes, you can use an external DAC.

Photony83

SHD has 2 SPDIF outputs (4 channels total), so yes, you can use an external DAC.
DNLA -> (wired network) -> SHD -> (spdif) external DAC -> amp -> speaker

would volume control still work with Volumio? does that bypass Dirac processing of the signal?

tw99

What sort of difference are you expecting ? The SHD is already measured as transparent. If you want to tweak the sound, use PEQ or Dirac. Adding another DAC is just pointless.

Photony83

What sort of difference are you expecting ? The SHD is already measured as transparent. If you want to tweak the sound, use PEQ or Dirac. Adding another DAC is just pointless.
im hoping for no difference in reality. just another repeatable test to myself to make sure I can't hear a difference. ordered a denafrips Pontus ii. easy to sell that if I can't hear the difference

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
im hoping for no difference in reality. just another repeatable test to myself to make sure I can't hear a difference. ordered a denafrips Pontus ii. easy to sell that if I can't hear the difference
I use a Gustard x26pro in front of my SHD with an analog XLR interface. I recognize this results in an extra ADC/DAC conversion but the SHD does not process DSD files of which I have many in my library.

Technics ST-G30 > Gustard x26pro > SHD (ADC>DSP>DAC) > VTV Purifi Dual Mono

I have tried bypassing the SHD using the Gustard and its volume control. Except for the lack of DSP and Dirac Live, I really can’t say I hear any detrimental effects? If there are any it is more than made up by SHDs ability to correct room response with Dirac Live. Subjectively I do believe the Gustard x26pro DAC is an improvement over the SHD internal DAC but the SHD DAC is certainly a capable performer (except no DSD).

eisenb11

In (very remotely) related news - I finally managed to order a Schiit Freya+ to plug between the SHD and NC252. Really curious to hear the combo, should be interesting pairing for the P3ESRs and the KC62 (that won't be going through the Freya).

I‘m thinking of pairing a Freya+ with my SHD… how did your experiment go? Sounds great? Plays well with Dirac?

kokoon

Forum Donor
I‘m thinking of pairing a Freya+ with my SHD… how did your experiment go? Sounds great? Plays well with Dirac?
I hooked it all up, didn't touch Dirac config (which, tbh does need updating cause I moved the speakers a bit) and it sounds good. The stock tubes, however, sometimes seem to emit a noticeable hi-pitched whine, which means I haven't been using the tube mode a lot.
I've since ordered and received different tubes, but haven't yet had the time to do the rolling.

At first, I didn't have another pair of balanced cables to connect SHD and Freya, so I used single ended... It was noisy as hell. Now with balanced interconnect it's perfect. I listen 10+ hours through this, Freya in passive mode. I'll post an update there when I switch out the tubes.

Top Bottom