• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

Daaadou

Second part first: no, there is no automatic governing by the SHD. The manual states that it’s up to the user to keep the volume at -10db or below while Dirac is enabled.

We all agree on why the -10db volume setting is there. Yes, it’s because Dirac may boost some frequencies up to 0db.

But, when 0db out of the SHD is at most 4V (requires 0db input signal which is almost never the case), and the output volume is limited to -10db, and many recording aren’t providing a strong input signal, that just isn’t enough voltage leaving the SHD. It all starts with the 4V max output from the SHD and goes down from there. If the max ouput from the SHD started at something like 8V we wouldn’t be having this conversation because I could lose some voltage from the SHD and still hit my amp clipping. Right now it’s the other way around. Preventing the SHD from clipping is holding back my amp.

It’s unfair to say “you’ve got an amp problem” when I have an amp running a higher-than-average 28.6db of gain and that puts a healthy 185w/8ohms into a pair of LS50 Metas in a very small room... and it’s often just not loud enough at -10db on the SHD. That amp can blow a hole through the side of an LS50 with the right input voltage.
I own a Rotel RB 1590, it is given for 350W per channel (stereo).
That thing get far warmer even at normal volume if I EQ the bass to the max from the pre amp tone control.
I think that if I would have less power within that power amp, I would have trouble EQing the bass this way.

Though, I see your power amp is quite powerful so I don't know, I might be wrong.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As a DIRAC processor this is excellent. It is much more than a DAC, and outperforms all but 1 or 2 products with similar functionality at a much lower price.
I understand, excluding DIRAC wouldn't you opt for the RME gear which measures better in the dynamic range and IMD and still costs less?

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I understand, excluding DIRAC wouldn't you opt for the RME gear which measures better in the dynamic range and IMD and still costs less?
DIRAC software license costs about $350 I believe. If RME were to include DIRAC, they would probably raise the price. And given the performance of the Minidsp SHD, I doubt any difference would be audible.

MDAguy

Forum Donor
This thing is getting a lot of great reviews all over the internet and YouTube... Can't do better for the price range it sits in.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Can you explain why?
The lack of an error correction mechanism, and 5VDC running in parallel to the data line makes it vulnerable to poor designs in the transmission chain
Second part first: no, there is no automatic governing by the SHD. The manual states that it’s up to the user to keep the volume at -10db or below while Dirac is enabled.

We all agree on why the -10db volume setting is there. Yes, it’s because Dirac may boost some frequencies up to 0db.

But, when 0db out of the SHD is at most 4V (requires 0db input signal which is almost never the case), and the output volume is limited to -10db, and many recording aren’t providing a strong input signal, that just isn’t enough voltage leaving the SHD. It all starts with the 4V max output from the SHD and goes down from there. If the max ouput from the SHD started at something like 8V we wouldn’t be having this conversation because I could lose some voltage from the SHD and still hit my amp clipping. Right now it’s the other way around. Preventing the SHD from clipping is holding back my amp.

It’s unfair to say “you’ve got an amp problem” when I have an amp running a higher-than-average 28.6db of gain and that puts a healthy 185w/8ohms into a pair of LS50 Metas in a very small room... and it’s often just not loud enough at -10db on the SHD. That amp can blow a hole through the side of an LS50 with the right input voltage.
Bottom line, this should only be perceived as a signal processor, not a preamp. They don't market it as such. I would also like to have a gain stage, it would be more expensive. 28.6 dB of gain is not higher than average, it's on the low side and in my opinion insufficient for many application without preamplification. I have about that as well, and do use a preamp in my signal chain.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks..will keep this in mind. At least this confirms I am not the only one to think that the voltage out of the minidsp shd is too low with DIRAC enabled. I have a small apartment but in a large room I would definitely start hitting the voltage limits.
No. It is not.

I wish people who do not understand how the signal chain works and where the limits are will stop arguing by using precise figures that they have no understanding of their correlation.

Almost always the power amplifier will be the limiting factor when any equalisation is used to boost a range of frequencies, Dirac or other. I have never experienced a pre-level device to be the limiting factor in a signal chain but unless you are using a megawatt power amplifier even a mild (3 dB) boost will clip it. A 10dB boost will clip even that megawatt amplifier.

Do please first learn, then argue.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thing is getting a lot of great reviews all over the internet and YouTube... Can't do better for the price range it sits in.
The sole purpose of this site is to dispel most of those reviews.

fuzzychaos

Hi all. I am tired of waiting on NAD to get me the M33 I ordered four months ago and am thinking about getting the SHD and cancel the M33. My question is what power amp to use? It doesn't have to class D Purifi or anything like that. I am just looking for a good amp that outputs 100 - 200 watts into 8 ohms. Any suggestions would be helpful. If I should create a thread about it, just let me know.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The lack of an error correction mechanism, and 5VDC running in parallel to the data line makes it vulnerable to poor designs in the transmission chain.

Asynchronous transfer is bit-perfect within the certified cable specs. There is no need for error correction.

5VDC run parallel on EVERY equipment's signal path. In your view there are no correct audio devices as DC is all around the signal. I have news for you. Without that DC there is no device!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please test the ADC in units that have them as a core part of their functionality next time, it's a big hole in both your reviews of this product.

Can you please point me where is that "core part" that the manufacturer thinks the device is designed for? Digital out is an auxiliary spec as far as I can see.

miniDSP-SHD-diagram (1).jpg

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh gotcha you are right! Hope they will add something like that on their lineup, 1.600€ is out of discussion for my wallet.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-shd-power-amplifier-review.17586/

I wish SHD had this form factor. It would be nice to have the DACs in the box, but a full-width component doesn't fit well on a (or at any rate my) desk.

Needs 2 more channels for tri-amping, or am I missing something?

If you want to multiamp (or biamp mains + subs) you have to add additional hardware. miniDSP's PWR-ICE amps have AES input, so you can daily chain them without adding a DA conversion loop. Other processors have AES input as well. You will need to use separate plugins for the different devices, so it's not as elegant as having everything in one plugin.

Just wondering, the MiniDSP 2x4 HD is only $205 and offers similar functionality, or for $400 with Dirac. It measures much worse with a SINAD of around 90. Could I hear the difference. Perhaps someone young could.

The noise floor difference between miniDSP 2x4HD and SHD Studio + SMSL M300 (Mk. I) DAC is audible on Neumann KH 80 DSP in a desktop system. I wish it weren't, because 2x4HD is an inexpensive hidden 1-box solution and SHD Studio is an expensive 1-visible-2-hidden-box much more expensive solution. For a desktop system (USB digital connection) the only other advantage of SHD is a volume knob.

Another Bob

Forum Donor
What RME product would you consider comparable? I'm not familiar with their entire line so maybe I'm missing one, but the ADI-2 FS probably seems closest. However, the RME only has two output channels whereas the SHD has four, which is huge if you want to control subs. All four outputs are available as both balanced and unbalanced. The SHD also has two sets of analog inputs (one unbalanced). The SHD also offers PEQ independent of the Dirac processing. Obviously, not all of these features will be important to every buyer, but the additional cost of the SHD seems more than justified, even without Dirac.

Willem

Major Contributor
but the additional cost of the SHD
Mind you, here in the Netherlands the RME is about 1000 euro and the SHD is 1600, both including value added tax. That would be about $1200 and $1900, so the difference is not trivial.

Aphemicman

Hi all. I am tired of waiting on NAD to get me the M33 I ordered four months ago and am thinking about getting the SHD and cancel the M33. My question is what power amp to use? It doesn't have to class D Purifi or anything like that. I am just looking for a good amp that outputs 100 - 200 watts into 8 ohms. Any suggestions would be helpful. If I should create a thread about it, just let me know.

Buckeye amps 2 channel NC502MP $650 shipped is a great choice to match any DAC and any loudspeaker in the world.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ckeye-hypex-nc252mp-amplifier-teardown.18614/

If you want a traditional amplifier and your budget allows, invest in benchmark AHB2.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-measurements-of-benchmark-ahb2-amp.7628/

Last edited:
Top Bottom